cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with ROG PG279QM

fcueto
Level 8
Hi,

I bought the ROG PG279QM 2 months ago. I like this monitor but I have some issues with it and would like some explanations.

My first issue is that I have a lot of stuttering while watching movies with any video player (VLC, MPC-HC, powerdvd, ...)
The movies are "24p" movies, meaning 24 frames per second.

I'm using 2560x1440 (native resolution), with a refresh rate of 240Hz.

Given the fact that 240 is a multiple of 24, the movies should play perfectly smoothly. (and indeed they are playing smoothly on my previous 120hz alienware monitor).
But for any reason they are not on the pg279qm.

I tried changing the monitor frequency to 120Hz but the stuttering remains.
I tried to disable Gsync but it has no effect .
I also tried to disable OD and change the gamevisual setting to "cinema mode" but it doesn't change anything neither.

So, can someone explain me why the videos are smooth on my old 120Hz Alienware and do stutter on this PG279QM at any refresh rate ?

I have another question: how come I cannot configure custom frequencies in the nvidia control panel ?
The preconfigured frequencies in the pg279qm firmware (through EDID) are : 60, 100, 120, 144, 200, 240hz.
When I try to add another frequency (I tried 75hz, 50hz, 24hz), the screen remains black.

In the specification sheet of the monitor, it is said:

Digital Signal Frequency :
- HDMI: 30~222 KHz (H) / 24~144Hz (V)
- DisplayPort: 255~255KHz (H) / 1~240Hz (V)

So, I should be able to use custom frequencies and not only the one preconfigured in the firmware, right ? How can I do that ?

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Ecmslee
Level 9
Do you have another PC you can connect to the monitor and test? It would help narrow down the problem to either the monitor itself or an issue with your current install.

fcueto
Level 8
Hi,

I just tested on another PC through HDMI and here are the conclusions:

- through HDMI, I can access new refresh rates : 23.98Hz, 24Hz, ... These refresh rates are not available through DP, why ?

- even with the new PC, the movie is stuttering, on any refresh rate : 120hz, 24hz, 23.98hz...

- the movie is perfectly smooth on my Sony TV using 24p mode.

I don't know why this high-end monitor sucks so much at playing movies ?? Is there a setting I can change somewhere to fix that ? I do a lot of content consumption when I'm not gaming and I thought the PG278QM would be a good device for that but did I made a mistake ?