cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoG Swift PG32UQ Mixed Problems.

darkcg
Level 9
I have this monitor connected to a GTX 1070 through DisplayPort. I use a PC built using a new Asus RoG Maximus Z690 Hero and a Core i9 12900K.
Till now, I've experienced mixed issues:
1) Unable to enter the motherboard BIOS, the monitor seems not to get video signal until Windows is fully started (huge problem if you ask me). I don't know why, I've not played much with the settings. This is driving me crazy, it makes my computer unusable. Any solution? This is really a huge let down. HUGE.
2) Unable to set the monitor to a refresh rate greater than 120 Hz if the overclock is disabled. Again, I'm not understanding why.
3) When I power-on the monitor, Windows says it has limited connectivity with the monitor. I don't understand in which terms, considering the USB port is attached to a USB 3 port on the monitor.
4) I have acticavated the overclocking feature to ON, with the Max Refresh Rate set to 155Hz. When I go to the nVidia driver settings, the resolution is correctly set to 4K, but the refresh rate doesn't go past the 60Hz.

In the information menu in the OSD of the monitor, I see:
Color Depth : 10bps
Format: RGB 444
Range: Full Range
VRR: Support

By the way, I'm on firmware version v015 (I 'm a bit scared of updating considerin g what I read on this forum).

Any help?
13 REPLIES 13

Ecmslee
Level 9
See if your GPU needs to update its DisplayPort firmware:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Ecmslee wrote:
See if your GPU needs to update its DisplayPort firmware:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Done that and as a result I'm no longer able to boot with DP at all. I'm now under HDMI port, the DP seems to be dead with this monitor.

Is there some option for fast boot in the monitor? It seems way too slow in capturing inputs.

There is an option in the OSD to set DP to 1.2. That might help you at least get into your UEFI. I don't use the OC function on my monitor since it also disables the refresh rates between 60-155Hz for me. It's not an issue for VRR in games but I use 120 and 144Hz for video playback. Looks like you need a newer graphics card to get 4K at high refresh. DSC support was added starting with the RTX 2000 series.

Chynonyno
Level 7
The exact same thing happened to me, and the problem is the GPU.

I have a 1080ti and I experience the same problems as you.

What you should do is deactivate the OC mode and in the envy panel change your HZ to 100Hz, once you have done this, change to RGB. As a final step I create a custom resolution at 3840x2160 144HZ, you will see your monitor running at 144Hz.

I am sorry to tell you that you will not be able to update the Fiwmware of your monitor either since with the 1000 series and below this monitor is not fully compatible.

To keep you calm, I will also tell you that I tested my monitor with an AMD 6900XT and everything was going perfectly.

155HZ, in 4: 4: 4 and all the functions go to perfection.

I repeat, the problem is your GPU

Chynonyno wrote:

What you should do is deactivate the OC mode and in the envy panel change your HZ to 100Hz, once you have done this, change to RGB. As a final step I create a custom resolution at 3840x2160 144HZ, you will see your monitor running at 144Hz.

I'm not in OC mode. And I don't think that enabling 144Hz with some tricks will improve the situation. In fact, the refresh rate is the last problem I'm worrying right now. Having an high refresh rate with a 1000 series card will only cause more problems than it solves. In fact the signal will be compressed even further, leading to a quality loss of the image. Expecially in readability.

I am sorry to tell you that you will not be able to update the Fiwmware of your monitor either since with the 1000 series and below this monitor is not fully compatible.

I have updated the firmware of the monitor using a GTX 1070 and the DisplayPort, without any problem. The only problem I'm experiencing is the card is having some difficulties in obtaining the video signal. Sometimes it goes smooth, sometimes it can't hook the video signal without turning off and then on the monitor.
With the HDMI port, the process is a little bit easier, but the monitor is still slow as hell in gaining the video signal or changing its status.
What I'm experiencing is a total random behaviour in obtaining the video signal from the graphic card and booting to the BIOS. Even after the card firmware update by nvidia, the situation has improved but it's definitely not fixed. I will change my card eventally, hopefully it will solve every problem I have with this monitor.

To keep you calm, I will also tell you that I tested my monitor with an AMD 6900XT and everything was going perfectly.

Yes, probably. What baffles me is how bad the backward compatibility of these newer ports are.
By the way, which cable are you using ? HDMI or DIsplayPort?

Thanks for the reply.

darkcg wrote:
I'm not in OC mode. And I don't think that enabling 144Hz with some tricks will improve the situation. In fact, the refresh rate is the last problem I'm worrying right now. Having an high refresh rate with a 1000 series card will only cause more problems than it solves. In fact the signal will be compressed even further, leading to a quality loss of the image. Expecially in readability.

I have updated the firmware of the monitor using a GTX 1070 and the DisplayPort, without any problem. The only problem I'm experiencing is the card is having some difficulties in obtaining the video signal. Sometimes it goes smooth, sometimes it can't hook the video signal without turning off and then on the monitor.
With the HDMI port, the process is a little bit easier, but the monitor is still slow as hell in gaining the video signal or changing its status.
What I'm experiencing is a total random behaviour in obtaining the video signal from the graphic card and booting to the BIOS. Even after the card firmware update by nvidia, the situation has improved but it's definitely not fixed. I will change my card eventally, hopefully it will solve every problem I have with this monitor.

Yes, probably. What baffles me is how bad the backward compatibility of these newer ports are.
By the way, which cable are you using ? HDMI or DIsplayPort?

Thanks for the reply.

ell I am unable to update the firmware of the monitor.

I connect Displayport, HDMI 2 + USB and when I go to load the firmware the monitor restarts and it gives me a failure in the FW UPDATE TOOL program

EDIT: Inexplicably, the problem was my PC, it updated from a laptop and let me update.

Chynonyno wrote:
ell I am unable to update the firmware of the monitor.

I connect Displayport, HDMI 2 + USB and when I go to load the firmware the monitor restarts and it gives me a failure in the FW UPDATE TOOL program

EDIT: Inexplicably, the problem was my PC, it updated from a laptop and let me update.

Well, cool you were able to update the monitor at least.

Chynonyno wrote:

I have the same problem. It's the monitor. It has sync issues. I have an even older card. I have a Titan X Maxwell. It works fine with an older Asus monitor.

I cannot see anything on HDMI 2 till the Windows Login screen is active. I can boot with the HDMI hooked up and see nothing, but have a TV through HDMI with a DP adapter on it and it shows Post and everything in a dual monitor situation. So here I am booting with HDMI to PG32UQ on HDMI2 and DP to TV via HDMI cable at the same time. The TV shows post and the Asus shows nothing till I get to the Windows login screen. It does not show the Blue window with the swirling dots or anything.

I'll know if it's the card cause I have a 3080Ti coming in Friday. There's really no excuse for the monitor not to sync with ANY card that puts out a HDMI signal. I got 3 4K monitors and a number of HD TV's in my house, that card lights them all up but the Asus, it's the monitor.

Les_Garten wrote:
I have the same problem. It's the monitor. It has sync issues. I have an even older card. I have a Titan X Maxwell. It works fine with an older Asus monitor.

I cannot see anything on HDMI 2 till the Windows Login screen is active. I can boot with the HDMI hooked up and see nothing, but have a TV through HDMI with a DP adapter on it and it shows Post and everything in a dual monitor situation. So here I am booting with HDMI to PG32UQ on HDMI2 and DP to TV via HDMI cable at the same time. The TV shows post and the Asus shows nothing till I get to the Windows login screen. It does not show the Blue window with the swirling dots or anything.

I'll know if it's the card cause I have a 3080Ti coming in Friday. There's really no excuse for the monitor not to sync with ANY card that puts out a HDMI signal. I got 3 4K monitors and a number of HD TV's in my house, that card lights them all up but the Asus, it's the monitor.

You have to be more specific. You say you're having problems with the HDMI. Are you trying with the DisplayPort? Also, hooking the signal in the login screen is (mostly) fine. At least you get a signal. I'm experiencing the opposite: no signal at all, even after Windows has finished booting. If I use the HDMI, the situation is better, because with my GTX 1070 I can at least receive the signal after Windows has booted. With the DisplayPort, I cannot hook the signal, unless I power on the monitor AFTER the computer has started. But this procedure doesn't guarantee a signal, it may work and it could not work, totally random.

If you will try with the new RTX 3080 card, can you post your experience if the situation improves?