cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Hero Audio Impedance Sensing Issue

USERMAC
Level 9
I have an issue with my motherboards Impedance Sensing. It is way off setting my headphone to over 1000 ohms when my headphone are rated 150 ohms. Pushing high amounts oh power into my headphones could cause damage.

I have tested the headphones on two of my other Asus motherboards and they are detecting the headphones correctly setting them to 150 ohms not popping and cracking etc.

I have also tested two other headphones that are rated at 30 ohms but this motherboard is pushing far too much power into them causing them to pop and crackle. I have tried reinstalling windows 11 I update my drivers using the motherboards Armoury Crate

I am using Realtek Audio Control driver version 6.3.9600.2299 UI Version: 1.27.254.0

I updated all my motherboard drivers using the Asus Armoury Crate.

Is this a known issue and is there a solution ? I have added a screen shot of the impedance setting it is forcing me to use.

33 REPLIES 33

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi USERMAC,
Do you mean if you connect analog headphones to ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO, Impedance Sensing will be over 1000 ohms and the sound will be pop and crackle?
Please reinstall Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2307 from our support site.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/helpdesk_download
Thank you.

USERMAC
Level 9
Done all the reinstalls etc tried three different pairs of head phones the software or the audio chip is faulty as the auto detection is putting to much power into my headphones.

Two of the head phones are rated 30 ohms the other is 150 ohm. The motherboard thinks the should have over 1000 ohms which could cause damage.

I am currently sending messages to Asus support but it is taking 2-3 days per response. I have told them very clearly about the problem I am having with the audio. Who ever is handling my ticket does not understand what I am explaining to them and am having to repeat over and over very frustrating .

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi USERMAC,
Does it occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Which I/O port do you connect the headphones in? Have you tried rear and front I/O port?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, PSU and headphones(two of the head phones are rated 30 ohms the other is 150 ohm)
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
- the Sonic Studio 3 version
- OS version and OS build
- the model name of our motherboards that are detecting the headphones correctly
Thank you so much.

USERMAC
Level 9
Hi I have sent you a private message for the serial and part number.

The rest of the information you asked for is below

Intel i9 12900k
RAM - G.Skill F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS
GPU - Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders edition
PSU - Corsair HX1200I
Headphones - Sennheiser HD660s 150 oms
Gaming Headset - Sennheiser GSP 600 28 oms
Gaming Headset - Sennheiser GSP 500 28 oms

Audio Driver Version: 6.3.9600.2307 - UI Version Realtek Audio Control 1.30.259.0
Sonic Studio 3 version 3.16.19.0
OS - Windows 11 Pro with win 11 pro key not the free upgrade version from 10. Clean install no windows old etc.

The two other motherboards ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE & ROG STRIX Z590-I GAMING WIFI but the new issue is that they are doing it now and I am now wondering if it is because I upgraded to windows 11 and I am to make things worse I cant roll back to windows 10 so I am now having to test each one on windows 10 to rule this out.

USERMAC
Level 9
I now think it is down to to motherboard driver / windows settings as I am able to partly fix the issue however I am kind of confused how I was getting my speakers to show up as over 1000 ohms which I showed in the screen shot on the original post of this thread.

What I have found though is that if I disable front panel jack detection A headphones icon will now appear on the Realtek Audio Control but that will show the impedance over 1000 ohm's. Even if I do not have the headphones even plugged into the front panel jack port.

I am now under the impression because the software is unable to split the audio from speakers to headphones using the rear port that is why it is defaulting to over 1000 ohms very confusing to explain.

But on my older machines I have an option with an older driver to Make Front and Rear output separately doing this will then give me the correct impedance because then When I plug my headphones into the rear port it will give me a pop up notification asking me if I have plugged in headphones or a speaker.

This is a screen shots of the older machine maximus xi gene which has the extra options in the Realtek Control panel I think that option is hidden at the moment on the new drivers because of this front panel headphone problem.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi USERMAC,
Do you mean you always connect the headphones to rear panel? If you enable front panel jack detection in windows, there is no headphones icon on the Realtek Audio Control, and the impedance sensing in speakers option will be over 1000 ohms? Also, if you disable front panel jack detection, a headphones icon will appear on the Realtek Audio Control but that will show the impedance over 1000 ohms, even if you just connect the headphones to rear panel?
May I have a video about this?

Does 1000 ohms issue occur on both win10 and win11 of Z690 Hero?
The headphone impedance sensing in the screenshots of the older machine maximus xi gene is between 420 ohms and 1000 ohms. Is the new issue you mention after update to win11? It was detecting the headphones correctly in win10?

For Z690 Hero, does the issue occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Could you please help to check OS version and OS build in windows settings such as win11 pro 21H2 22000.434?
I'm afraid I cannot find the information about the serial number you provided, please share me a photo of the serial number sticker label via PM.
Thank you.

USERMAC
Level 9
I am sorry for the confusion this has been an odd issue and is quite difficult to explain as the issue kind of fixed itself but only by chance I will explain best I can below.

Just to be clear I am talking about the Asus Z690 HERO Board for this work around.

The way I got it to work does not make much sense but basically I plugged in one pair of headphones rear lime port and then another pair in the front port of my case.
Now since doing this the headphone impedance is auto detecting correctly and so is the speakers even though I would like it to see it as headphones.

So to rule this out I wanted to replicate this and see if this is a bug. I have now since tested with a clean install of windows 11 and the issue is back again ? But when I plug in two pairs headphones in rear and front port it is working again.

I have yet to figure out why on my original post I was having the wrong impedance being detected on just the rear port labelled speakers but something changed and that fixed itself. Maybe windows update did something who knows...

Pictures links below Front port and then Rear Port show working as they should apart from speakers label should say headphone rear or something along those lines.

https://imgur.com/a/NOnbYc9

https://imgur.com/a/U3rhcCn

I am unsure why the XI Gene was showing 420 I think it was intermittent and sometime over a 1000 but that system is showing the same similar problems to the Hero Z690 but with a couple more noticeable things.

I will put together a video showing all of this as I think the issue could be related and I think that is why there are some audio options that are currently missing from the z690 hero until a fix is made.

My windows version for the Z690 Hero and the Gene XI are the same just I have yet to fully update the windows drivers on the Gene XI because I want to test it before updates : Windows 11 Version 21H2 (Build 220000.434)

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi USERMAC,
Just to understand the scenario properly.
Once you reinstall win11, and only plugged in one headphone to the rear or front panel, the impedance sensing would be over 1000 ohms and the sound would be pop and crackle?
Then, if you plugged in one pair of headphones rear lime port and then another pair in the front panel, it was working fine?
If you can help to share a video, I will appreciate that.
May I double confirm the issue occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

USERMAC
Level 9
That is correct such a strange issue but does it on all Bios versions default setting and AI settings etc does not make any difference. I will do the video as soon as possible and will share the link