New ROGer Array

ROG Maximus z690 Extreme, Install DIMM.2 card without NVMe?

Just about done with my build. Got a ROG Maximus z690 Extreme and would like all the slots up top to be filled for aesthetic purposes(all 4 RAM slots PLUS the DIMM.2 slot)

The NVMe SSDs I have are installed in the mobo under the heat sink. I don't have any extra NVMes to occupy the DIMM.2 card yet, but plan on adding some further down the road.

Would there be any issues with occupying the DIMM.2 slot with the board's included DIMM.2 card if there are no M.2s installed in the card?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ahfoo's Avatar

Sorry mate, I am quite puzzles what it has to do with DIMM slot and NVME. Please enlighten me further.

ROG Enthusiast Array Megalamaniac PC Specs
    Megalamaniac PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme Encore/Rampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel i9-7920x/Intel i7-6850k
    Memory (part number)32g TridentZ RGB F4-3600C16Q/32g TridentZ F4-3200C14Q
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080ti Strix/GTX 970
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1080ti Strix/GTX 970
    Graphics Card #3none/GTX 970
    Sound Cardnone/SB Recon3D PCIe
    Storage #1Samsung EVO Plus 970 1TB/Samsung Evo 960 1Tb
    CaseThermaltake Core WP200/Coolermaster HAF 932
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi1500/Corsair AXi1200
    Accessory #1 Aquaero 6 Pro, LT 6/Aquaero 5 Pro, LT 5
    Accessory #2 Dual Loop Custom Watercooling

Quote Originally Posted by CuzzinChizzy View Post
    Would there be any issues with occupying the DIMM.2 slot with the board's included DIMM.2 card if there are no M.2s installed in the card?
    You should be able to plug the Empty DIMM.2 card without occupying any of it's M.2 slots. I believe that as long as it's not populated, it won't be detected, but I'm not %100 sure. Either way you aren't risking anything by plugging it in.

Just remember that you need a Quad Kit to populate all four RAM Slots, not two Dual Kits. As far as I know, no one has released a Quad DDR5 Kit yet.
    Last edited by Megalamaniac; 03-31-2022 at 09:09 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Megalamaniac View Post
    You should be able to plug the Empty DIMM.2 card without occupying any of it's M.2 slots. I believe that as long as it's not populated, it won't be detected, but I'm not %100 sure. Either way you aren't risking anything by plugging it in.

Just remember that you need a Quad Kit to populate all four RAM Slots, not two Dual Kits. As far as I know, no one has released a Quad DDR5 Kit yet.
    Awesome, thanks Megalamaniac. And thanks for the heads up on the RAM Quad kit

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ahfoo View Post
    Sorry mate, I am quite puzzles what it has to do with DIMM slot and NVME. Please enlighten me further.
    hey ahfoo

This motherboard came with an expansion card, a little bigger than a stick of RAM size wise. You can fit two M.2 SSDs in it and plug it into the boards DIMM.2 slot, which is to the right about an inch away from the four RAM slots.