cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 maximus extreme glacial support for 2x 3090 in sli (nvlink)

managerman
Level 9
Hello!

Today I finally got my z690 maximus extreme glacial and my 2x RTX 3090 cards all installed and running. *Fresh install of windows 11…all is good except I cannot get SLI working. *(nvidia control panel shows no sli option)….I have done some googling and it seems that the current bios (0811) does not have SLI enabled? *Can anyone confirm or deny? I did see a beta bios for the Apex that had sli enabled….any chance of getting an Sli enabled bios for my extreme glacial?

Thanks

-M

91496*
25 REPLIES 25

Kindachi
Level 8
I'm wondering the same thing. Same situation, same motherboard, running dual RTX 3090 Strix w/ fresh install of Windows 11. SLI doesn't show up in the configure surround, PhysX options. SLI worked fine for me with the Maximus XIII Glacial (Z590), under Windows 10 with the same GPUs, albeit I used a 3-slot bridge for it.

I also tried removing the plastic cover from the NVlink bridge to get it fully seated, due to the plastic conflicting with the EK water blocks. This did not resolve the issue. I'm hoping it's just a BIOS thing, so I'm not spending a bunch of time continuing to troubleshoot!

I have seen where Shamino has provided a Beta Z690 Apex Bios with SLI support enabled...I am hoping he sees this post and can provide us with a Beta Bios with support for the extreme boards....I know "everyone" says that multi GPU is dead...but for the price of these high end boards Asus should pay the SLI license fee for these boards...heck for that matter...I'll pay even more to have the license on my board......now stepping off the soapbox...

-M

I saw Juan Jose Guerrero on the ASUS PC DIY Group (Facebook) recently answer this question with the following:

"ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial
ROG Maximus Z690 Apex
Will also officially support SLI/NVLINK, initial SLI listing was not noted as they were still undergoing official certification which has been delayed/extended due to pandemic-related factors.
The latest UEFI release will be required for this functionality. Please be patient in this respect."

Sounds like it's known and in the works.

This is great info!!! Hopefully the new BIOS will be available soon..

Thanks,

-M

Zurvv
Level 7
Interesting. I'm upgrading my system from x299 to asus z690 extreme next week. (I only got the extreme because of the 4 slot spacing.) (The apex "better" board most useful to me and i used it in other builds. The extreme has an extreme amount of extra crap that i'll never use.)
the x299 being upgraded has 3090 SLI
hrmmmm....
now some RL facts for me.. NOTHING (for gaming) (other than benchmarking) uses two 3090s. The second card was never used. It just sits there.
I did spend the extra money for the slots spacing.
I did spend the money on the 3090 paper weight. (My other systems already have 3090s.. so i don't have any use for an extra)
I'm lazy and don't want to take apart the waterblock (or redo tubing) - and also remove the shutmod 😛
I don't think i'm getting in the top 10 for 3d mark anymore. So no epeen. (darn LN peeps.. i can't beat them)

My guess is my lazy will kick in and i'll just keep the SLI. "working" or not.. it isn't going to be doing anything.
(Maybe i'll poke around to see if someone i know wants to buy a 3090 with a block on it.)

It would be nice if they gave an ETA (or beta)
IDesktop PC:
Nvidia SLI RTX 3090, 30" 4k Dell OLED UP3017Q
I9-10980XE @ 5.0GHZ (18 core), EVGA x299 Dark
64gigs DDR4 3600mhz, Corsair 1600 watt PSU
Samsung 980 pro NVMe , Intel Optane 905p NVMe
Windows 11 pro x64 (21H2)

HTPC/TV Gaming:
EVGA RTX 3090, LG OLED77G1 TV (77")
i9-12900KF 5.5ghz (water cooled), Asus z690 Apex
32gig DDR5 6000mhz, Corsair 1600 Watt PSU
Samsung 980 pro 2gig NVMe and Samsung 980 pro 1gig NVMe
Windows 11 Pro x64 (21H2)

Yes!, are there any ETA or BETA BIOS for SLI (NVLINK) users?

@ managerman - Nice build fella.

@ thread

Same here. - My Zotac Extreme Core Edition 1080 Ti's will not SLI for me either.

My board isn't the Glacial version, just the Maximus Extreme but I do have a Heatkiller 4.0 water block on the installed 12900K.
Afaiu, the Bios is the same for both boards.
The cost of this board really hurt. I considered it for months..... then reconsidered a Z690 DDR4 mobo. - Couldn't find one offering 8x + 8x or with this particular slot spacing so I swallowed my pride, filed for Divorce & bought the damned thing.

Right now, I don't know which is hardest to deal with?? - The pending Divorce or lack of SLI.... bah! :confused:

****Edit****

With both cards in place with the SLI Bridge in place, no SLI option shows in nVidia control panel.

If I remove the SLI Bridge, nVidia control panel tells me I am SLI capable & to fit the bridge. - nVidia still thinks I'm on Windows 10 though! :rolleyes:
Another anomaly I see is HWMonitor Pro showing the 2nd Gfx card being the hottest, even though the GSync monitor is in my 1st Gfx card. This happens with the SLI bridge not fitted or fitted.

Also, when in the Bios, Advanced/System Agent/PCI Express, why is M.2_2 shown alongside PCIEX16(G5)-1 & PCIEX16(G5)-2?
M.2_1 shares Bandwidth & disables PCIEX16(G5)-2 if in use, thereby disabling SLI....

So whilst having a 2TB WD Black sn850 NVMe fitted to M.2_2, it's strange seeing M.2_2 showing as not populated & then elsewhere in the Bios under NVMe, nothing is populated when I have another SN850 in M.2_3 and also a 1TB SN750 in DIMM2_2??

Don't like the way my 2nd 1080Ti lines up on my Chassis either. For the Card to be full seated, it's twisted over & out of line with the Back plane.

When aligning it with the backplane so you can get the securing srcews in place, it's trying to lift itself out of the slot at the locking clip end. I never had an issue like this in the same case on my Asus P8Z77-V Premium motherboard. The Case/Chassis is a Tenjim TJ11 btw, so no cheap cr4p here. Must be the 2nd PCIe slot on this mobo not being square to the Mobo itself. Might take this up with my supplier: - Not happy.

Over £3k on a new rig without Gfx cards & sat here feeling like I just had a new one torn.

....Steps off High Horse....

Zurvv
Level 7
@kin hell
Does the 1080 ti not get limited by PCI-e 3 x8? (it might not. It has been a long time since i had that gen of GPU. Edit: super long time 2016. )

gen 4 x8 == gen 3 x16. So new 3xxx cards are fine.

I assume you picked spending the $$$$ on the fancy mobo vs a newer video card because they are hard to find? ... but 1080 ti SLI isn't limited by bridge size...
The apex is the better board to OC.

the 1xxx were the start do the official death of SLI (from nvidia's corp view)
(and they lied and said 1080s would have 4 way SLI... then they didn't...)

good times:
IDesktop PC:
Nvidia SLI RTX 3090, 30" 4k Dell OLED UP3017Q
I9-10980XE @ 5.0GHZ (18 core), EVGA x299 Dark
64gigs DDR4 3600mhz, Corsair 1600 watt PSU
Samsung 980 pro NVMe , Intel Optane 905p NVMe
Windows 11 pro x64 (21H2)

HTPC/TV Gaming:
EVGA RTX 3090, LG OLED77G1 TV (77")
i9-12900KF 5.5ghz (water cooled), Asus z690 Apex
32gig DDR5 6000mhz, Corsair 1600 Watt PSU
Samsung 980 pro 2gig NVMe and Samsung 980 pro 1gig NVMe
Windows 11 Pro x64 (21H2)

Zurvv wrote:
@kin hell
Does the 1080 ti not get limited by PCI-e 3 x8? (it might not. It has been a long time since i had that gen of GPU. Edit: super long time 2016. )

gen 4 x8 == gen 3 x16. So new 3xxx cards are fine.

I assume you picked spending the $$$$ on the fancy mobo vs a newer video card because they are hard to find? ... but 1080 ti SLI isn't limited by bridge size...
The apex is the better board to OC.

the 1xxx were the start do the official death of SLI (from nvidia's corp view)
(and they lied and said 1080s would have 4 way SLI... then they didn't...)

good times:

No. - I picked this Mobo as explained earlier. I needed two 8X PCIe slots with 4 way spacing as my P8Z77-V Premium board had, just so I could use the same Zotac HB SLI Bridge & keep the cards apart. 3 way spacing would leave no PCIe slot between the cards & they would be hotter for it with reduced air flow. I'm lucky to have the Tenjim TJ11 case, the mobo is rotated by 90 degrees so the back plane is on the top of the case. - No more "bottom Gfx card heating the top one" because it's underneath the top card. (Air Cooled)
On top of that, I was stretched @ £3200 for what I bought. - Another £1700 on a 3080 Ti was not in the equation. I don't want 4K gaming, but I do want to see the 30%-ish FPS I'm loosing for using an 8 year old Mobo with an i7 3770K sat in it. - Don't get me wrong, this CPU on that 8 year 0ld P8Z77-V Premium still ROCKS by most standards today. CPU was £249.99 & they're still fetching over £100 on eGay today. (not a Typo)

Here's GPUz clearly showing PCIe 1.1 on the second card. - PCIe2.0 isn't fat enough for SLI.
I have also set both PCIe slots to PCIe 3.0 instead of Auto. Doesn't matter what you set, no SLI.

I actually hacked my P8Z77-V-Premium Bios to support PCIe NVMe. I had to move the 1080 Tis from slots 1 & 3 to 2 & 4 to open up a 4x PCIe slot. The caveat was loosing the 1080 Ti's @ 16X & 16X to 8X & 8X but I had over 3GB/Sec on the WD Black SN750 with no reduction is Gfx SLI performance. 16x or 8x on PCIe is a bit like AGP 2x, 4x & 8x. - 8x made absolutely no difference to Gfx performance.
In order to get the modified Bios to Flash, I had to use Asus Suite II from the desktop. Bios flash saw it was modified. Asus Suite II was told to read the un-modified 2104 Bios, validating it as being un-modified. Then you jump into the folder, rename the un-modified one to ORIGINAL_bios filename & then rename the Modified Bios file with NVMe support hacked into it, to the name of the file it just endorsed.

I downloaded an NVMe.dxe file & slipped it into the Bios Code using UEFITool. There are tutorials for this on another Asus board, not the P8Z77-V Premium, but it worked.

I was tickled pink. 🙂

This current dilemma sucks completely & hear say or not, to use the Pandemic as an excuse for SLI not yet implemented is just utter tosh in my book. Even the Manual for the Maximus Extreme sucks. My old P8Z77-V Premium manual had all the descriptions of the Bios functions explained.
Are Asus going to say the lack of detail in the ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme Manual is also due to the pandemic?

Anyway, this board is going back to the supplier because the 2nd PCIe slot is not square with the Mobo. You know these things if you're an Engineer.

The Joys of being on the cutting edge of Technology that all of a sudden becomes non-compliant to cutting edge 0ld Technology eh! - Well guys, at least get this stuff right before you release it, .....please!

....gets off high horse a 2nd time to avoid severe nose bleed & pressure on dental implants....