Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown today once

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi my pc: 10850K stock 4800mhz

2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP

Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium

Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8pin,2 separate pcie cables )

Asus Z490 Maximus

1 TB SSD

4 days ago…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic when is press E button part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered for a second and then turned off completely. That flicker not happens when i shutting down pc manually.

In my room i had laptop on connected to other power cord in this moment, and in eventlogs there was not log about power mode changing to battery.So i think power was on in house. Also router plugged to wall dont turned off, because WIFI was active on laptop ,though.

Ok i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened once 4 days ago. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

ps:So I am a bit confused. Everyone is saying that it is likely the psu with a problem...but they are also saying if it was the PSU’s over current protection, then I would HAVE to switch the flip in the back. I don’t have to flip switch.

happened once in 7 months of use.Also after shutdown I don’t have to flip switch on the back of psu.
8 REPLIES 8

kvarq
Level 11
What is the manufacturing date? This can be easily taken from the S/N - first digits are the year and month.
if it's 20, then is manufactured in 2020 and might need to be updated, there are some issues with the TX manufactured before 2021 using 3080/3090 cards.
Using a Seasonic Titanium 850W with a 3090 KP, had also some random sudden restarts (could only see Kernel 41 in event viewer), these were quite annoying, after reading some similar stuff on forums apparently these power supplies had issues with the transient loads, the OCP/OPP too aggressive also GRW flaw. So even if a hard test like linpack or OCCT is passing, instantaneous change in power draw in games could give surprises though... By the way, I discovered that AC Odyssey or WD Legion Benchmarks beat any synthetic stress app =)) Hours of RealBench, prime95, OCCT, linpack etc passed, but after 3-4 runs of these benchmarks system was crashing :)) The only workaround I saw back then is to undervolt the video card.
Another workaround is to contact Seasonic, or even apply directly for RMA on their website. Their support is excellent to say the least, everything went smooth and pretty fast. Shipment fee to their center is on customer, they will send back a brand new one with FedEx or UPS. Once they received the old power supply, they shipped the replacement the very same day, within hours. Apparently they are aware of the problem, since the 3080/3090 issues Seasonic performed adjustments here and there, so the 2021 power supplies should have this problem solved (this applies also to their Platinum or gold models). The new power supply received is manufactured March 2021 (S/N starts with 2103) and so far never had restarts since.
As a side note, this might be confusing, SSR-850TR is a safety reference used for both PRIME Ultra and PRIME TX in 850W (although they are different animals), as long as any change doesn't require new safety certification, two product with different name can use it.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
R2011 first digits

Seasonic answered me:"Dear Seweryn,

Thank you for your reply.

Well, if you had only a single shutdown and nothing since then, most likely not a PSU issue. We can only recommend to monitor if you have any issue in a near future. For now, you are good to go.

Thank you.
"

Also
It's not overcurrent protection getting triggered or it is?
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch.

Ok back to shutdown. Happened once and i run again metro again maybe 200 times and no shutdown. So why it happened once should i worry? Thank you for helping me kvarq.

kvarq
Level 11
if it happened just once, I wouldn't be too worried... could be anything in the end, independent from your computer
if it will happen again, just open a RMA ticket stating that you have a 3090 and you encounter restarts/shutdowns, they are already familiar with this, they had to fix/update some stuff in their power supplies since 3080/3090 came in

wrt the restarts/shutdowns during gaming - these could be triggered mostly after the computer has been stressed before (long gaming sessions etc) than 200 times few minutes, but that's not a rule either

one more thing: are you running an updated bios for your Z490?
on my board I'm sticking with a bios before the Rocketcrap odyssey started, so using one from late 2020, tried lots of versions from 2021, I think it was one from January 2020 okay at some point but they just removed it from the support website...
they released something few weeks ago (2403), but it's actually from October 2021, when back then it was just a beta on forums... I did not try that one, 1003 is rock solid for me, anything in between was not a go for me since stability flushed down to the toilet with their tryouts to make 10th and 11th running on the same platform, that's why I am reluctant to upgrade bios now

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Bios stock i dont know version. So maybe it was one off, +12V sense noise issue,if don’t have to flip switch on the back of psu then?

Or maybe brownout?
But.Laptop on connected to other power cord in this moment, and in eventlogs there was not log about power mode changing to battery.So i think power was on in house. Also router plugged to wall dont turned off, because WIFI was active on laptop ,though.

R2011 first digits of S/N psu.
In this moment pc just shutted off then boot up again for 1 second and shutted down again and stay OFF. Why two times?

kvarq
Level 11
don't worry, it might have been a very short power outage, some other devices may not feel it if these are very short, but PCs are a bit more sensitive, or maybe even a mobo spike, had in the past Asus mobos which once in a blue moon did that for some reason

on the back of the psu you have two switches - one for power, the other for the fan mode

from time to time it helps to... "clean" things, pressing the PSU power button off, then press PC power button for at least 30 secs, then switch on the PSU power button, and then power up your PC

if it happened just once so far, relax, enjoy your gaming 😉

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
oki thank you 🙂 kvarq

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Last question .

Someone said this to me:"
I had a similar situation years ago that only affected one game that turned out to be a dying PSU. System randomly was just turning off but it would happen with only one of the games I was testing with, Dragon's Dogma. I can't remember all the other games I tried but there were at least 10, but I could only reproduce the shutting off with DD. Replaced the PSU and the problem went away.

It started off as rarely, once in a while. But over time (couple months) it grew to happening pretty much any time I would try to play Dragon's Dogma.

RMA'd the PSU and when I replaced it in the PC the problem completely went away.

So for some reason only certain games will sometimes expose a failing PSU
."

So can i have failing psu? But like i said it happened once during 7 months. Thanks.

xeromist
This question was thoroughly addressed by Johnnyguru over on Toms. Johnny is a foremost expert on PSUs so anyone interested can read there:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/seasonic-prime-tx-850-with-rtx-3090-ocp-shutdown.3742396/?vi...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…