cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog maximus z690 extreme new build - won't post

KilROCK
Level 7
New build and I can't get it to post. Q-Code halts on 55. I've tried 2 different brands of DDR5 - ADATA XPG Lancer 41600 and TeamGroup Elite DDR5 4800 - I've tried sticks one at a time and 2 sticks at a time - I have not mixed the brands together.

I've reseated my CPU several times along with the cooler but no difference. If I try to post with no sticks it will hang on Q-Code 53. I have not been able to get into the bios using my 3090 or by using the onboard video.

Is this related to the Z690 Hero boards that are faulty since the orange LED stays on?
13 REPLIES 13

captaintrips
Level 7
The z690 extreme is not affected, think it's only a certain batch of the hero boards that were. the orange LED that is on I believe refers to which BIOS profile is selected (if it's the one under the pcie slots)

Strange as that's same setup as I have. Let me ask what kind of cooler you are using and do you have at least one fan plugged into cpu_fan pin on the mobo? (I have a 360mm ryujin ii and it wouldn't boot until I plugged at least one of the rad fans into cpu_fan pin, which I ended up just connecting all three via splitter cable to it). Rad fans should not be plugged into fan controller I found out

captaintrips wrote:
The z690 extreme is not affected, think it's only a certain batch of the hero boards that were. the orange LED that is on I believe refers to which BIOS profile is selected (if it's the one under the pcie slots)

Strange as that's same setup as I have. Let me ask what kind of cooler you are using and do you have at least one fan plugged into cpu_fan pin on the mobo? (I have a 360mm ryujin ii and it wouldn't boot until I plugged at least one of the rad fans into cpu_fan pin, which I ended up just connecting all three via splitter cable to it). Rad fans should not be plugged into fan controller I found out

Thanks, yeah, I'm using the Corsair H150i Elite Cappelix and plugged directly into the cpu_fan along with the controller plugged into one of the USB headers. The orange LED I'm talking about is the one above the Q-code reading not the one at the bottom by the buttons.

Splatterfest123
Level 8
KilROCK wrote:
New build and I can't get it to post. Q-Code halts on 55. I've tried 2 different brands of DDR5 - ADATA XPG Lancer 41600 and TeamGroup Elite DDR5 4800 - I've tried sticks one at a time and 2 sticks at a time - I have not mixed the brands together.

I've reseated my CPU several times along with the cooler but no difference. If I try to post with no sticks it will hang on Q-Code 53. I have not been able to get into the bios using my 3090 or by using the onboard video.

Is this related to the Z690 Hero boards that are faulty since the orange LED stays on?

Have you tried memory in B1, B2 as I have this issue in that the memory will only work in these DIMM slots.

Any memory put in A1 or A2 results in Q-Code 55

I have read another forum user had to have a motherboard change to rectify this issue.

Splatterfest123 wrote:
Have you tried memory in B1, B2 as I have this issue in that the memory will only work in these DIMM slots.

Any memory put in A1 or A2 results in Q-Code 55

I have read another forum user had to have a motherboard change to rectify this issue.

Thanks, I've tried all combinations of memory slots and nothing changes.

Louis_Kleiman
Level 7
My Strix Z690-E won't POST with RAM in the A slots. I have QVL RAM (Corsair Dom Plat 5200 cl38) that is working right now in single channel in the B slots, but moving any sticks into A slots causes a 55 error. What do I do to get this fixed? I just returned my Z690 Hero a few days ago. Now I'm starting to feel persecuted.

Populate Slots A2 and B2 if you're using 2 RAM sticks. Populate slot A2 if you're just using 1 RAM stick.

lol tried to brush out the other parts of the diagram lol looks fantastic

RavenMaster wrote:
Populate Slots A2 and B2 if you're using 2 RAM sticks. Populate slot A2 if you're just using 1 RAM stick.

Thanks, I've tried all combinations of ram slots but no difference

Louis_Kleiman wrote:
My Strix Z690-E won't POST with RAM in the A slots. I have QVL RAM (Corsair Dom Plat 5200 cl38) that is working right now in single channel in the B slots, but moving any sticks into A slots causes a 55 error. What do I do to get this fixed? I just returned my Z690 Hero a few days ago. Now I'm starting to feel persecuted.

I guess this is what happens to early adopters lol, sucks.