cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Apex Pre sales question.

JBBlack
Level 8
Hello all,

After having to return my Hero board due to the recall, I now am looking at 2 models to replace it.

I was looking at the ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Apex, and the ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi 6E.

I have a store credit so with one I would get about $150.00 extra store credit and the other would cost me about $150.00 more.

Both boards look to be pretty solid, but the Apex looks like it has a few more very cool features:

I'm liking the Dual BIOS? and the DIMM.2 slot with included riser card on the Apex, I have read somewhere though that if you use that DIMM.2 slot that 2 of the 6 SATS 6.0 ports might get disabled, Is this true? Also, will this support ANY M.2 drive? Are there any major setbacks to using this DIMM.2 slot?

BOTH of these have pretty decent sound systems on them, so that's a plus too.

but, does anyone know if there are any major issues with this board (or either of these boards) like the ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero? Or nasty BIOS issues?

Thanks for any suggestions, or info.

PS: I'm not into "extreme" overclocking, but I would like to be able to run a decent 24/7 overclock
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+
12 REPLIES 12

Braegnok
Level 14
I'm vary happy with the Z690 Apex, haven't had any issues.

The DIMM-2 slot is on the chipset so you might see higher PCH temps if you use it vs not using it. I'm only using one M.2 drive in M.2_2 slot for Primary and one SATA drive for storage, I might add in another 4TB SATA for storage.

24/7 settings.

24/7 temps.

Braegnok wrote:
I'm vary happy with the Z690 Apex, haven't had any issues.

The DIMM-2 slot is on the chipset so you might see higher PCH temps if you use it vs not using it. I'm only using one M.2 drive in M.2_2 slot for Primary and one SATA drive for storage, I might add in another 4TB SATA for storage.

24/7 settings.

24/7 temps.

What tower/case are you using? I am doing some research on upgrading my old MAXIMUS VI IMPACT motherboard, etc. The Z690 series motherboards won't fit into my mini itx case.

kenharw1 wrote:
What tower/case are you using? I am doing some research on upgrading my old MAXIMUS VI IMPACT motherboard, etc. The Z690 series motherboards won't fit into my mini itx case.

Thermaltake A700 TG: https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/a700-aluminum-tempered-glass-edition-full-tower-chassis.html

It's a bit pricy, but worth it. cooling is great with 2x 200mm front intake, 2x 200mm top exhaust, 1x 140mm rear exhaust.

JBBlack
Level 8
VERY cool!! That is awesome to hear!! And thank you very much and even for sharing your settings!!

I went ahead and ordered mine tonight, it cost an extra 143.00 (including shipping to my store by Tuesday) over my store credit, but from what I have been reading that board is worth it. I was really bummed about having to return my Hero board, and I really wanted a premium board, so this one should do the trick. I already have my 12900k and a 2TB M.2 waiting, so all I need to do is find the ram I want and wait till it comes in stock.

I got the Samsung 970 Evo Plus, I hope it's fully compatible with the board. It's gen 3 but it's going to be my OS drive, I also have a Samsung 980 Pro gen 4 1TB that I could use for my OS drive, but I kinda wanted to use that one for my MSFS.

I got an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 for my cooler, it came with the newest LGA1700 mounting hardware, so I hope that will be good enough.

Do you use the onboard sound? It looks like a pretty good sound unit.

I wonder if I will lose anything by using both onboard M.2 slots 1 and 2?

I have 6 SATA game/storage/and files drives I need to use, so I am going to all all the SATA ports.

thanks again for the info!!
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+

Braegnok
Level 14
Personally I would use M.2_2 for your Primary drive @ 4.0 x4, than after installing OS shut down and install DIMM.2 module/card, and you can install single or both drives,.. both will run @ 4.0 x4. Using the DIMM.2 module/card does not effect your SATA 6Gb/s ports.

You will be be fine using above mentioned M.2 drives, and all 6-SATA6G ports. If you install drives in the SATA6G_1-4 ports, you can create a RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 configuration.

RAID configuration and boot drives are not supported on the SATA6G_E1-2 ports.

Personally I do not use M.2_1 socket or the PCIe 5.0 M.2 card.

JBBlack
Level 8
Interesting, so I should use the Gen 4 x4 M.2 in M.2_2 (that one is 1TB) and keep M.2_1 clear, then I can install ANY M.2 I want in the DIMM.2 Riser? The 2TB I have is brand new, but it is a PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe, but I'm assuming these M.2 slots are backward compatible?

Sorry to ask so many questions, you have been super helpful already, but all of this NVMe M.2 stuff is fairly new to me, and I'm just making sure.

Also, I will make sure to ONLY have the one M.2 in M.2_2 when I install windows and the base drivers, then add the DIMM.2, then add everything else. I want to make sure the system is stable before installing everything, made the mistake of NOT doing that before.

and thanks again for all the help, this should be my final question

Braegnok
Level 14
All of the M.2 sockets are backwards compatible with 3.0 x4 drives.

Except perhaps the PCIe 5.0 M.2 AIC I'm not 100% sure about the AIC, except the fact it does use CPU PCIe lanes and will take x4 of your 16 PCIe lanes, so top GPU slot at x8 if you use the AIC. 😄

rjbarker
Level 11
Got my Apex Board loaded up with W11 (clean install) last night....started installing all my Programs running some Cinebench.

Seems pretty solid, although was running into my USB mouse freezing periodically (when I had a USB thumb drive also installed), unsure why, all Drivers installed via Mokichu.
Perhaps some odd Driver conflict or issue, resolved by unplugging and re-plugging in mouse.

Defintely my "cheap" Corsair 240 aio isnt that great, as Cinebench 23 run saw a few cores hit 93c...score was 26.885 (all stock).

No issues loading XMP profile and running Corsair Doms at 5600 Cas 36.

For OP, the Apex Board is miles ahead of the Hero.....I tend to think od the Hero as the low end ROG enthusiast board....Apex, Formula and Extreme being a step up.

Im running 2 x NVMe drives (M.2_1 and M.2_2), both running x4 (Gen 4), 3080Ti running at x16 in PCI-E _1 (top slot).

rjbarker wrote:
Got my Apex Board loaded up with W11 (clean install) last night....started installing all my Programs running some Cinebench.

Seems pretty solid, although was running into my USB mouse freezing periodically (when I had a USB thumb drive also installed), unsure why, all Drivers installed via Mokichu.
Perhaps some odd Driver conflict or issue, resolved by unplugging and re-plugging in mouse.

Defintely my "cheap" Corsair 240 aio isnt that great, as Cinebench 23 run saw a few cores hit 93c...score was 26.885 (all stock).

No issues loading XMP profile and running Corsair Doms at 5600 Cas 36.

For OP, the Apex Board is miles ahead of the Hero.....I tend to think od the Hero as the low end ROG enthusiast board....Apex, Formula and Extreme being a step up.

Im running 2 x NVMe drives (M.2_1 and M.2_2), both running x4 (Gen 4), 3080Ti running at x16 in PCI-E _1 (top slot).

Nice you got your system running,.. I woulden't worry about high temps when running benchmarks,.. provided during normal usage with default settings your cooling solution is working, the i9-12900K run's vary hot under full load. lol

I just received my SK Hynix bars today from Dell, ordered them back in November. Dell upgrade 4800MHz 2x16GB kit.

Stable @ 6200MHz 1.43v :cool:

Putting them under water in the morning, see how far they go.