cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FA506IU - TUF Gaming A15 (2020) - CPU Power Locked at 13 watts

yhdog
Level 9
Hi, I hava a laptop FA506IU (R7-4800H + GTX 1660 Ti) but I think there is a issue about the CPU Power with this model when gaming, which results in unexpected framerate dropping. I tried running Rainbow Six Siege built-in benchmark test (firstly at 1080p & Lowest preset and secondly 1080p & Highest preset & 100% rendering ratio) and captured hardware sensors log files via HWiNFO in the background.

The log files show:
If the dGPU load is less than about 85%, the CPU Package Power and CPU PPT Power will be limited to 13 watts (sometimes 20 watts) and the Fast PPT Limit and Slow PPT Limit is 100%.
If the dGPU load was nearly 100%, there will be no CPU Power issue.

I have tried a clean Windows installation, OEM GPU drivers and bios rollback but they didn't work. I think this issue is caused by an incorrect bios setting of ASUS.

I tried contacting ASUS Taiwan and ASUS China and they sent me their Rainbow Six Siege built-in benchmark results and HWiNFO logs, but they just kept perfuncting me and avoiding my question about 100% CPU PPT Limit (this usually occurs when the bios settings are incorrect), although the 13 watts issue extractly exists at their laptops for tests.

I have done the same tests on my friends' FA506IV (RTX 2060) but there is no CPU issue.
I think this issue exists in every FA506IU in the world. I'm not sure if FA706IU has the same CPU issue.

Could you please do some rearch on this?

The HWiNFO log files(.csv) and performance graphs(.xlsx) of my FA506IU and ASUS Taiwan's FA506IU are here.
https://yhdog-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/admin_yhdog_xyz/ETgmRDwWwXlHtGEwSr7IqMQBrUF4o9_vK50S3...

Some screenshots:
https://i.imgur.com/d0WEiVQ.png
https://i.imgur.com/5j6D6JA.png
6 REPLIES 6

Da-BOSS
Level 10
You might have a bad batch... I have exactly the same laptop that you have ASUS TUF A15 FA506IU laptop and I don't suffer from this problem... maybe might give a new BIOS update a try.. it just got released 2 days ago 🙂

Da-BOSS wrote:
You might have a bad batch... I have exactly the same laptop that you have ASUS TUF A15 FA506IU laptop and I don't suffer from this problem... maybe might give a new BIOS update a try.. it just got released 2 days ago 🙂

Hi, I have tried the BIOS 318 released 2 days ago but still the same issue.:(
Hmm, you mean you have tested Rainbow Six Siege (1080p Low Preset) benchmark with no CPU problem?

yhdog wrote:
Hi, I have tried the BIOS 318 released 2 days ago but still the same issue.:(
Hmm, you mean you have tested Rainbow Six Siege (1080p Low Preset) benchmark with no CPU problem?

Yes, exactly I have tested this without problem. I guess your only way is to try this APU Tuning Utility and adjust your TDP Fast/Slow limits and try again.

Da-BOSS wrote:
Yes, exactly I have tested this without problem. I guess your only way is to try this APU Tuning Utility and adjust your TDP Fast/Slow limits and try again.

Actually I have tried RyzenADJ, Renoir Mobile Tuning and the tool you mentioned. Adjusting TDP Fast/Slow limits works for seconds before the limits are overwritten by BIOS or other ASUS things. The CPU Power breaks the 13 Watts limit only when I set a reapply cycle (maybe 3 seconds) for these 3rd-party tools.
I still hope ASUS can do some research and give a response, after all I don't want to rely on 3rd party software to correct things that should be the responsibility of ASUS. 😉

yhdog wrote:
Actually I have tried RyzenADJ, Renoir Mobile Tuning and the tool you mentioned. Adjusting TDP Fast/Slow limits works for seconds before the limits are overwritten by BIOS or other ASUS things. The CPU Power breaks the 13 Watts limit only when I set a reapply cycle (maybe 3 seconds) for these 3rd-party tools.
I still hope ASUS can do some research and give a response, after all I don't want to rely on 3rd party software to correct things that should be the responsibility of ASUS. 😉

That's definitely true about ASUS responsibilities but as a last resort... 3rd party software will help always.

Did you make sure that RyzenADJ script with repeat delay of [repeatWaitTimeSeconds = 5] is set to avoid getting a reset values with $monitorField = "fast_limit" line included?

Da-BOSS wrote:
That's definitely true about ASUS responsibilities but as a last resort... 3rd party software will help always.

Did you make sure that RyzenADJ script with repeat delay of [repeatWaitTimeSeconds = 5] is set to avoid getting a reset values with $monitorField = "fast_limit" line included?

I have tried it, and it helps. Thanks. 🙂