cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero CPU Power - PSU incompatibility

Les_Garten
Level 9
I have a Z690 Hero board and a New EVGA 1000 P2 power supply. I am referencing the two 8 Pin Power connectors on the top left side of the board.

I have a EVGA 1000 P2 PSU. The "shape" of the CPU 8 pin cables doesn't work with this board. Any idea how to fix this? It's the keying of the male and female that are incompatible.

Anybody else ran into this?
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, it sounds as if you are confusing the 8 pin PCIE power cables with the 8 pin EPS for the motherboard. Make sure you are trying to install the correct cable, as the pinout is different. The PSU will come with both.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello, it sounds as if you are confusing the 8 pin PCIE power cables with the 8 pin EPS for the motherboard. Make sure you are trying to install the correct cable, as the pinout is different. The PSU will come with both.

Don't think so. The PCIE are labeled PCIE and the Cables I am referring to are labeled CPU. I looked over the PCIE cables and the CPU.

Let's see if I can attach some PIX I took.

It took me a long time to collect these parts to build a system and I hit this snag...

Les_Garten wrote:
It took me a long time to collect these parts to build a system and I hit this snag...

Are you sure they dont fit? Like have you actually tried to plug the connector in? Only one part is keyed (squares)..the second shape should fit in square shaped holes just fine.

Dezzmos wrote:
Are you sure they dont fit? Like have you actually tried to plug the connector in? Only one part is keyed (squares)..the second shape should fit in square shaped holes just fine.

They don't fit.

They did get a little mashed up, that's how I discovered they won't fit.

I just looked online and both ends should be identical. The PSU end goes right in.

Looks like EVGA messed them up on 2 PSU I have. They are identical PSU's but one is 5 years old. Very strange.

Dezzmos wrote:

Thanx! I went back and goofed around with it and got it working I believe.

PINs are wrong but they do go in with some finesse I apparently didn't have yesterday.

I checked on Amazon and the cables there are formed correctly.

Brigman
Level 9
Les (and anyone else reading) - the CPU power input sockets on these boards are *very* precisely engineered - and doubly so due to the metal reinforcement around them. If there is any dimensional error at all in the connector from the PSU you will find them struggling to mate.

Perseverence, and taking the time to look close and make sure they are perfectly lined up is the way forward. Trying to just force them will probably mash up the nylon on the PSU connectors even worse. 😮