cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended CPU Cooler STRIX-z690-F

KenV99
Level 7
Hi,
Yesterday I scored a STRIX z690-F and G.Skill Trident DDR5 memory in the Newegg Shuffle. I'm planning on adding a 12700K to it.
What are you folks doing for cooling with this board? I've read the posts stating interference from the VRM shrouds.

My biggest criteria is lit be quiet. Either air or AIO liquid. Putting it in my CM Cosmos S case, so room in the case is not an issue. Budget is <$300 USD.
I've looked at Corsair iHue, Asus STRIX LC II 360, beQuiet and Noctua.

Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?
Thanks for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

Rusty_Gunn
Level 8
im using a nh-d15, but i had to turn it 90 degrees to clear the vrm heatsync. you can only use a single fan as well if you have a gpu installed. im also using a 12700k, no overclock, but it keeps it cool and is quiet. i have kingston beast ram (fairly low profile), you might have problems with a d15 given how tall the trident ram is, but i can measure if you decide to go that route.

i originally had a gigabyte board which was a better match for the d15, but a newegg package deals (in early dec) was the only way i could get ddr5 which is why i ended up with the z690-f.

Rusty_Gunn wrote:
im using a nh-d15, but i had to turn it 90 degrees to clear the vrm heatsync. you can only use a single fan as well if you have a gpu installed. im also using a 12700k, no overclock, but it keeps it cool and is quiet. i have kingston beast ram (fairly low profile), you might have problems with a d15 given how tall the trident ram is, but i can measure if you decide to go that route.

i originally had a gigabyte board which was a better match for the d15, but a newegg package deals (in early dec) was the only way i could get ddr5 which is why i ended up with the z690-f.

Thanks for the reply!
I have a noctua in my current setup and had issues like you state with ram clearance. Did your noctua kit come with the LGA 1700 bracket or did you have to buy it separately?

I'm hoping someone that went with AIO liquid can chime in

KenV99 wrote:
Thanks for the reply!
I have a noctua in my current setup and had issues like you state with ram clearance. Did your noctua kit come with the LGA 1700 bracket or did you have to buy it separately?

I'm hoping someone that went with AIO liquid can chime in

I bought the d15 late nov and it didn't include the lga 1700 bracket. I filled out the form on the notcua website and they sent it out for free. I didn't have ddr5 yet, so I wasn't in a hurry to get it.

Chainbold
Level 11
KenV99 wrote:
Hi,
Yesterday I scored a STRIX z690-F and G.Skill Trident DDR5 memory in the Newegg Shuffle. I'm planning on adding a 12700K to it.
What are you folks doing for cooling with this board? I've read the posts stating interference from the VRM shrouds.

My biggest criteria is lit be quiet. Either air or AIO liquid. Putting it in my CM Cosmos S case, so room in the case is not an issue. Budget is <$300 USD.
I've looked at Corsair iHue, Asus STRIX LC II 360, beQuiet and Noctua.

Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?
Thanks for your help.

I am using my Strix Z690-F with the Corsair H170i AIO (420 radiator). The vendor provided the 4 stands required for LGA 1700 separately.

But don't get fooled: Even with such a massive AIO, if you oc a 12th gen (I tried both a 12600 and 12900) to 5200MHz and above, you easily reach 90C when benchmarking with heavy load apps like Prime95.

KenV99
Level 7
Beautiful setup. Thx for sharing!
Was it a long wait from Corsair to ship out the standoffs?
For some other manufacturers, I've heard months.

KenV99 wrote:
Beautiful setup. Thx for sharing!
Was it a long wait from Corsair to ship out the standoffs?
For some other manufacturers, I've heard months.

I got them from the vendor - free of charge when I bought the AIO. It's actually not a "kit" (as some say) what you need. Just 4 standoffs that are 1 or maybe 2 mm shorter than for the previous socket. Very simple / cheapo stuff, I don't understand why it takes such a long time for some to get them.

Using a NZXT Kraken X73 AIO CPU Water Cooler - 360mm with my 12700k on the ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 motherboard. I did request a bracket from them which took a couple of weeks but that was over xmas so delays expected.

Asus boards have holes for both LGA 1200 and LGA 1700 coolers. Bracket wasn't really required and I ran mine fine before the Bracket arrived.
Standoffs on the LGA 1700 bracket are slightly lower, 1-2mm, than on the LGA 1200 bracket but everything else is essentially the same. I did switch to the LGA 1700 when it arrived. Silly me didn't do any testing to see temps on the system before I changed bracket so can't comment on if there was any temp improvement.

I was a little concerned about the height differences of LGA 1700 compared to LGA 1200 bracket. Honestly, I didn't want to push the system before the bracket just to be safe. Though I don't believe it wouold have been an issue I did tighten the cooler as much as possible. I Ran for 2 weeks or so before the change. Nothing intensive as no GPU. Just RMA'd GPU and was waiting for it to be tested and then a replacement so was using integrated GPU.

Haven't OC'd CPU but have changed Vcore to adaptive at -0.95 not sure how that works with Intels V/F voltage. Need to look into that.

Checked HWmonitor just now for data, not sure if I played a game or if figures are just whilst watching a vid and general windows/web stuff

The 2 cores that boost to 5Ghz maxed at 72
other cores boosting to 4.9Ghz don't even hit 60

I do know fans tend to stay between 800-900RPM whilst gaming.

CineBench R23
Max Fan Rpm = 618
Max Kraken pump speed = 2848 and still damn quiet
P cores Max temp 68 most around 64
E cores max 58

P cores - core 0 4800Mhz rest 4701Mhz
E cores - All 3801 Mhz

Should also point out I've had the Kraken 2 years now and don't use the included fans, little noisy for me, though qquieter than others I've heard. Runs in a Push/pull config using BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 in push/pull config (3 pull and 2 push.......intented to add 1 more but 7700k plenty cool with just the 5) All the high speed version though never run high speed. Just didn't see the point of the non high speed versions when they cost the same 😉

Thank you.
Lots of great information!

You were all a big help in providing me with options.

KenV99 wrote:
Thank you.
Lots of great information!

You were all a big help in providing me with options.

Got your exact same config, z690-F with 12700k. I got myself an arctic liquid freezer II 360 A-RGB. Got amazing results on cooling, with idle temps on 30 and stress tests going as far as 60-70º (current room temp is around 20º), the CPU is permanently on turbo speed. All are Celsius degrees btw. However, to use this AIO, you need to contact Arctic so they send you the LGA1700 bracket to install the AIO properly if it is not included within the package (they send it free of charge) and you have to dismount a cover from the pump (reaaaally easy to do, you can ask for a replacement of the cover but its purpose is just aesthetic).

Hope it helped 🙂