Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Device - No Driver Z690 Apex - Require Some Assistance Folks

rjbarker
Level 11
Hi all
Maximus Z690 Apex
Clean install W11 Home

Followed Mokichus instructions very carefully and I believe in the correct order, as in:
Chipset
MEI
ME Firmware
VM Drivers
SATA RST
Serial IO

But as you can see in the image, I have an issue with an Unknown Device (could be the reason mu USB Mouse keeps losing signal if I have a USB Thumb Drive inserted)?

Anyhow, hope someone can help walk me thru the steps...I believe I have to uninstall all Chipset / Mobo Drivers , then run Rapr.exe and start over again?

See image

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

rjbarker
Level 11
Thanks for the info Mokichu....will double check that I have installed Thunderbolt Drivers....I know I have this enabled in BIOS.

I thought the image I posted above was realted to possible borked Chipset Driver.

I tried my mouse connected to mouse PS/2 port via PS/2 to USB adapter and the mouse did not work at all. Perhaps this is related ?

rjbarker
Level 11
Ok installed Thunderbolt Driver and now down to a single error in Device Manager, still would like some suggestions regarding "Base System Device" ..?

Related to Chipset ?

If anyone else has some feedback would be great, otherwise re-install all Drivers again ?

Nate152
Hi rjbarker,

Try right clicking on Base System Device, then click Update Driver Software and search automatically.

Does this work for you?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi rjbarker,

Try right clicking on Base System Device, then click Update Driver Software and search automatically.

Does this work for you?

No ths doesnt do it.
I have tried a number of different ways to load Drivers for this mystery device, including auto (windows) and manually navigating to a folder whereby I have all Mokichus Drivers saved (I installed meticulously from this list of his Drivers).

I really am stumped....
ChIpset
MEI
ME Firmware (shows latest version in BIOS)
VM Drivers
SATA (RST)
IO
Audio
Bluetooth
Thunderbolt
GN
LAN
WiFi
PD Firmware
Audio Firmware

Not sure what to do now , is it possible I have to re-install Chipset ? If so I would have to uninstall other Drivers and Re-install Chipset first ? Then re-install other Drivers ?

Thanks for any assistance folks, I did not use the one step one click "install all" on the Asus Apex Driver USB stick , as I dont want a bunch of unnecessary programs / software, including Armoury Crate.
Instead I downloaded each Driver listed on Mokichu's page.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Make sure to download and install Chipset, Bluetooth, NIC and RST drivers.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Splatterfest123
Level 8
Identify Devices with Errors in Device Manager

Press the Windows and X keys together to open the Start menu.
Select Device Manager.
Double-click the device with the error (a question mark or exclamation point) and select Details.
Go to Properties and select Hardware IDs.
The vendor ID and device ID display as VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx. (Some devices show these values as VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx)

Right click/Copy the first line and do an internet search for the item you are looking for.
Download appropriate drivers.

Done.

All the Best

You dont by chance have a motherboard support dvd? That would have a detection tool. In my case I extracted the iso image on another computer and then took the iso image back to my optical drive-less pc and mounted it and ran asussetup or setup.exe.

Splatterfest123 wrote:
Identify Devices with Errors in Device Manager

Press the Windows and X keys together to open the Start menu.
Select Device Manager.
Double-click the device with the error (a question mark or exclamation point) and select Details.
Go to Properties and select Hardware IDs.
The vendor ID and device ID display as VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx. (Some devices show these values as VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx)

Right click/Copy the first line and do an internet search for the item you are looking for.
Download appropriate drivers.

Done.

All the Best

This is what I was going to try next.....will see if I have any luck with that.

Jimbo.....
I have the Asus Thumb Drive with all Drivers....was going to go thru that as well....just dont quite get what I missed with Mokichu's list....I was quite thorough....everything seems to be running ok, so will still go ahead and move into my case with Custom Loop...

I certainly appreciate you guys jumping in to try and help me out....after several builds over the last number of years havent run into this before....although it seems there are more n more drivers to install with every generation.

EDIT: Heres some screen shots guys...the BIOS path points to GNA?

Please have a look and let me know your thoughts...

EDIT 2: Disabling GNA within the BIOS got rid of this mystery Driver....unfortunately I have no idea what GNA is....I'll google it and see what comes up...

Disabling GNA within the BIOS got rid of this mystery Driver....unfortunately I have no idea what GNA is....I'll google it and see what comes up...

This is the driver you're looking for: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19292/intel-gna-scoring-accelerator-driver-for-inte...

The purpose of Intel GNA is to offload the CPU during some computations. The primary intended usage (but not limited to) is the Automated Speech Recognition domain.

How to install

1. Download and unzip this driver package.
2. Right-click on the file gna.inf and select Install.