Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very strange behavior, BIOS bug? -> Z690 Maximus Formula

equalize87
Level 7
Hi everyone 🙂

Brief overview of my system:
CPU: i7 12700k (max Temp @ all-core 4,9GHz was 69°C @ 30min of Cinebench R20)
Board: Z690 Maximus Formula (Bios 0811)
RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill 6000CL40 1,30V (QVL)
2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000CL40 1,35V (QVL)
GPU: RTX 2080Super
PSU: Enermax Platimax 2000W
M2: 2x2TB 980Pro; 1x512GB 960Pro; 1x512GB 950Pro
Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow

Custom Watercooling: 2x420MM Radiator -> GPU; CPU; VRM

The system has been running without problems for a few days.
Only one of the two RAM kits mentioned is used, not both at the same time!
The Kingston Kit runs in the XMP1 and XMP2 profile without problems and can also be overclocked to 6600MT / s. Unfortunately, the G.Skill Kit does not run in the XMP profile with the BIOS used. But that's not the problem here.

After a few days of operation, I wanted to overclock the system. For this I wanted to test the AI ​​OC function via Armory Crate. The system was overclocked to 5.4GHz. After overclocking, I wanted to briefly check the temperatures and stability using Cinebench R20, but the system froze right away during the first run.

I then restarted the system with a reset to check the bios, but the display of the mainboard only showed "Detect Memory" or the Post Code 55. At that time, two RAM bars were plugged into socket A2 / B2 for dual channel operation.

Removing both RAM bars and inserting them again did not help, I kept getting the same error! For testing, I first inserted one and later both RAM bars into slots A1 / A2. The system booted again, but only if the RAM bars were inserted in the single channel configuration. The whole behavior was evident with both RAM kits.

I've reset the bios several times. I replaced the RAM bars, I flashed an older BIOS version and set all RAM voltages, timings, etc. manually, nothing helped. The system always issued the same error as soon as the RAM bars were inserted in the dual-channel configuration.

So while the problem was occurring, it only helped to put the RAM bars in the single channel configuration, otherwise it could not boot. When I didn't know what to do next, I removed the CPU to check the contacts, everything looked good! So I put the CPU back in while the RAM bars were still in the dual-channel configuration and lo and behold, the system booted again!

A few days later, I dared to overclock again and wanted to do it manually this time, as I have done for the last 20 years. To be careful, I selected "Per Core Usage" and set all cores to 50 while leaving the voltage on AUTO. The system started up with this setting. A quick look in CPUz showed a Vcore of ~ 1.35v when the system froze again and the same game started over! I had to take the CPU out and put it back in and the system works again!

Any advice or tips for me?

Thank you in advance and best regards!
Steven
2 REPLIES 2

TZero
Level 8
I experienced this problem (detect memory - error 52,54,55) with 2 sets of memories (32Gb total), CORSAIR 5200 and TEAM GROUP 6200.

On both occasions I noticed that it was after AURA programmed the color I wanted.

In the CORSAIR set there was no way.... I ended up using the RMA

In the TEAM GROUP set I went back to Optimized Bios and then went back to configuring the speed of the XMP-I memories

Then I noticed that my Armory Crate had several module updates. I updated and kept it as is.

To be blunt, considering the lack of DDR5 on the market, I'm scared to risk AI OC for the whole set.

CPU in INTEL mode (5200+3900) and memories Team Group XMP-I (6200 - 40,40,40,78)

Hi, everyone.
I use a Z690 Maximus Formula. I also have two ram kits. 32GB Kingston Beast 6000CL40 (Hynix) and 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6000CL40(Samsung). Of course I tested both kits separately. In principle, both kits run on the board, but with the following anomalies.

The Kingston kit runs in single channel as well as in dual channel, even with an activated XMP profile, but I get the Q-Qode 55 Memory Detect in a period of between 1-3 days when booting and the system no longer boots in dual channel mode. Only when you remove a stick does the system boot again. If you then insert the second stick again, you get the Q-Qode 55 again. The same behavior is also evident with the G-Skill, except that the XMP profile does not run stably here.

After days of research I found the following. When I got the Q-Qode 55, I removed a stick (it doesn't matter which ram kit I use, the behavior is the same), loaded the XMP 1 profile and fixed all timings manually and set MRC to fastboot. Fixed the command rate to "Auto" since it was set to 1T... . When I saved the bios, I turned off the PC and reinserted the second ram stick.

What can I say, both kits run without problems with the XMP profile in dual channel mode. No more Q-Qode 55 Memory Detect.

I'm currently testing the clock rates, 6000MHz are not stable because TestMem5 spits out errors, but I haven't made any adjustments to the voltages here yet. 5200MHz seems to be running without problems so far, I'll keep testing.