cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHEA fatal hardware error every 5-10 days [Crosshair VIII Hero - 3601]

criznittle
Level 8

Could this be a motherboard issue? if so, what's going on and why is it happening so frequently?

I don't get any BSOD or instability that i notice. Everything seems fine, but if there's some hardware about to die, i'd like to be prepared for it.
What can i do about this?

Crosshair VIII Hero [3601]
I haven't updated my chipset drivers since Version 2.11.26.106
3950x
3080 with the latest Geforce driver
Windows 10 Home - with the latest updates
Memory is running 3600 DOCP
9 REPLIES 9

LocoDiceGR
Level 10
Update windows / chipset drivers / run your ram in xmp 3200 -> test for a week.

LocoDiceGR wrote:

Have you encountered this consistent WHEA error before?
I have windows updated, and memory is running in DOCP/3600 1:1 with the IF
I could try updating chipset drivers and see if that changes anything

Any further suggestions?

edit: audio and chipset drivers were updated

Did you find any solution? I have the same problem with my C8F

I tried bios reset (updated to version 4004), tried another 5800x (in my case), tried another psu (both are good), also ram, don't know what to do.

My 3900X was rebooting every few days and sometimes every few hours, hugely frustrating.
Tried all new BIOS versions, least aggressive settings, reset cache, disabling options, NOTHING worked.

Then I thought "fig it" I'll up the ante on it, so the first thing I tried was TPU I ... and it has been rock solid from just that one change, so I left it at that.

Quite a nice change from rebooting every few hours in the middle of something important and losing it.

Not saying it'd fix your issue. But worth a mention.

PS installed the latest chipset drivers from the ASUS product downloads rather than from AMD (the AMD site was behind, believe it or not).

freddynerky wrote:
My 3900X was rebooting every few days and sometimes every few hours, hugely frustrating.
Tried all new BIOS versions, least aggressive settings, reset cache, disabling options, NOTHING worked.

Then I thought "fig it" I'll up the ante on it, so the first thing I tried was TPU I ... and it has been rock solid from just that one change, so I left it at that.

Quite a nice change from rebooting every few hours in the middle of something important and losing it.

Not saying it'd fix your issue. But worth a mention.

PS installed the latest chipset drivers from the ASUS product downloads rather than from AMD (the AMD site was behind, believe it or not).
You mean TPU like the Asus "one click overclock" TPU in the AI Suite 3 program? Running that made your system stable? Was it stable at Bios defaults because TPU is an overclock. If it is stable, then running at defaults should definitely be stable.

I had random reboots that I thought were caused by my PSU but ended up being my ram overclock not taking (DOCP). Run your ram at default settings and see what happens.

BillBittel wrote:
You mean TPU like the Asus "one click overclock" TPU in the AI Suite 3 program? Running that made your system stable? Was it stable at Bios defaults because TPU is an overclock. If it is stable, then running at defaults should definitely be stable.

No, in the BIOS setup itself. I refuse to install the other stuff 😉

No it definitely was NOT stable at BIOS defaults, that is what I was trying to say, even disabling stuff did not fix it so I went the other way.

>> then running at defaults should definitely be stable

No, 100% definitely NOT stable at bios defaults, that was my point.

It IS stable at TPU I (did not try TPU II for long enough but no reboots there either).

Addendum:
prior to the TPU I, the ONLY thing that would temporarily fix it was to clear the bios cache and re-load the same BIOS ... and then it worked from a few hours to a day or so then got progressively worse by randomly rebooting more frequently (sometimes 5 times in 30 minutes!!).
It ALWAYS rebooted overnight.
I had formed an impression over time that the more load it was under, the less it rebooted ... but not always.
With TPU I it has been stable, no reboots, for days.

freddynerky wrote:
No, in the BIOS setup itself. I refuse to install the other stuff 😉

No it definitely was NOT stable at BIOS defaults, that is what I was trying to say, even disabling stuff did not fix it so I went the other way.

>> then running at defaults should definitely be stable

No, 100% definitely NOT stable at bios defaults, that was my point.

It IS stable at TPU I (did not try TPU II for long enough but no reboots there either).

Addendum:
prior to the TPU I, the ONLY thing that would temporarily fix it was to clear the bios cache and re-load the same BIOS ... and then it worked from a few hours to a day or so then got progressively worse by randomly rebooting more frequently (sometimes 5 times in 30 minutes!!).
It ALWAYS rebooted overnight.
I had formed an impression over time that the more load it was under, the less it rebooted ... but not always.
With TPU I it has been stable, no reboots, for days.
OK now I get it, but it's still weird. Is having TPU enabled in the BIOS causing higher temps and keeping the processor out of C-states? You said you thought that higher loads meant less reboots but not always. If it was a matter of the voltage going to low during idle, then it would only reboot when idling, unless maybe its rebooting for more than one reason.

LocoDiceGR wrote:

Even ram with XMP 3200 can cause issues, just run it at the auto setting then start turning it up until you get crashes. My 3600mhz ram will only run at 3400mhz before the random reboots come back.