cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 and using two 2x16GB DDR5 kits

NE0XY
Level 9
Might be a dumb question but I'm wondering if it's possible to combine two kits of 2x16GB ddr5 modules of the same model. And using XMP2. I'm assuming no but wanted doublecheck anyway.
I've found myself often using 80-95% of my available 32GB kit. And that's not even with my usual amount of chrome tabs open lol so would be nice with more stick but can't find any 4x16GB kits.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

micromaxstudios
Level 7
I have two 2x16 kits (64 GB combined), and I had to downclock ram so it will not BSOD windows. My trident Z5 ddr 5600 are now working max on 5000 and all is stable. Its a shame but maybe we need to wait for better bios?

Im using XMP2 + downclock from 5600Mhz to 5000 Mhz

Ive read that that is common problem with DDR5 - not working correctly when using dual ddr5 kits.

micromaxstudios wrote:
I have two 2x16 kits (64 GB combined), and I had to downclock ram so it will not BSOD windows. My trident Z5 ddr 5600 are now working max on 5000 and all is stable. Its a shame but maybe we need to wait for better bios?

Im using XMP2 + downclock from 5600Mhz to 5000 Mhz

Ive read that that is common problem with DDR5 - not working correctly when using dual ddr5 kits.

Thanks for the reply,

Maybe I'll try downclocking it then. 400MHz lower I can live with I guess. Or wait for 4x16 kits to become available. But I doubt that will happen for a while....

Well I have been running 2x16 CORSAIR Vengeance 5200mhz since launch in XMP1 0 issues and just ordered another 2x16 kit.
I hope I don't have any issues like people are saying.
Is anyone actually running 4 sticks of the same make and model in XMP1 at default settings?

axiumone
Level 11
Have two kits of gskill. One kit is 5600 and the other 6000. Mine run perfectly well at 5600. 32gb each for 64gb combined.

Chainbold
Level 11
NE0XY wrote:
Might be a dumb question but I'm wondering if it's possible to combine two kits of 2x16GB ddr5 modules of the same model. And using XMP2. I'm assuming no but wanted doublecheck anyway.
I've found myself often using 80-95% of my available 32GB kit. And that's not even with my usual amount of chrome tabs open lol so would be nice with more stick but can't find any 4x16GB kits.

Thanks

Well, did you read this sticky: Don't combine memory sticks?

and if you check the the Z690 + DDR5 discussion here and elsewhere, you will find that basically nobody could get 2 DDR5 kits running - at least not at the rated frequency.

DDR5 has far higher capacity per module than DDR4. It is one more reason more to stay with 2 higher capacity modules than trying to combine 4 modules.

Chainbold wrote:

and if you check the the Z690 + DDR5 discussion here and elsewhere, you will find that basically nobody could get 2 DDR5 kits running - at least not at the rated frequency.

DDR5 has far higher capacity per module than DDR4. It is one more reason more to stay with 2 higher capacity modules than trying to combine 4 modules.

Yet its a dual channel board with 4 Dimms, go figure..

I sure hope they fix this soon, unacceptable not being able to use 4 modules.

Backwards capacitors , Not detecting M.2 drives, WHEA Logger Errors, wow the Z690 Hero sure sounds problematic.

Chainbold wrote:

I did a quick check of the sticky but I figured since that seemed to be about DDR4, it might be different with DDR5 and wanted to double check.

Hopefully there will be some 4x16 kits available soon then because I quite often end up using 80-95% of my 32GB kit.

Thanks

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
It's difficult not to sound like a broken record, but Please don't combine memory kits and ask why XMP will not work.

This is a historical issue enthusiast face that will probably continue. However, the introduction of DDR5 has brought in far more unsuspecting users seeking answers.

The main culprit is the lack of 4 DIMM kits currently on the market for DDR5. Most users where possible do tend to buy kits at the rated density, timings, and frequency. However, if you remove those kits from the market you leave a gaping void to be filled with users looking for 64GB and/or simply to populate all available memory slots.

The reason you should avoid combining kits is actually painfully simple, however, the whys and buts are best left to actual DRAM and electrical engineers.

Thanks, I was kinda hoping it would be different now with DDR5. Thanks for the reply

NE0XY wrote:

Thanks, I was kinda hoping it would be different now with DDR5. Thanks for the reply

You're not alone. This was a "royal you" post and not aimed directly at you. If anything you did the right thing by asking before making a purchase!
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
You're not alone. This was a "royal you" post and not aimed directly at you. If anything you did the right thing by asking before making a purchase!

Well I'll be honest and say I did purchase a second kit...
Hopefully 4x16 kits become available soon.
Thanks for the help