cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Apex - Dominator 32G DDR5 5600/Cl36 - XMP I Results / Fix

rjbarker
Level 11
FYI
Just thought Id share some "quick n nasty" results BIOS version 0811.
12900 All Stock, Dominator DDR5 5600 / Cl36 (at stock 4800 Cl 40).
- Solid Stable with anything I throw at in W11
- Memtest 86 "Pass"

Load XMP I Profile:
- 12900 K All Stock
- XMP I (no changes to what is set by Profile)
Results:
- Solid with everything I throw at it in W11
- Exception with IXTU, whereby I get an "stability error" upon launching, but after clicking "ok" starts up fine and passes benchmarks and Memory Test.
- Fails Memtest (4 errors).

I followed the Shamino OC'ing Guide (sticky within this Thread), in particular the section on Memory and applied the following:
- DRAM VDD changed from 1.25v to 1.275v
- DRAM VDDQ changed from 1.25v to 1.275v
- Memory Controller changed from "auto" to 1.3v
- CPU System Agent changed from "auto" to 1.25v
- IVR Transmitter VDDQ changed to 1.275v

Results with changes above applied:
- Everything in W11 continues to be solid
- IXTU no more "stability error message" when initially opening the Program
- Memtest "Passed"

In the past with several different platforms I have always found that after loading XMP Profile there is generally some tweaking to do .
In some cases a System wont even post, which generally means setting a little higher DRAM voltages, or in this case with DDR5 (for greater stability) setting a few different voltages as outlines in Shaminos Guide.

Not sure if I ever would have noticed the initially instability unless I ran Memtest, perhaps it would have reared its head at some point.

Now that it appears I have stability with XMP I, I have saved it in Profiles and re-load stock Memory settings prior to jumping into some CPU OC'ing.
I still have to move this System from my bench to Case w custom loop (install Velocity 2 and Vector Blocks).

Cheers
16 REPLIES 16

Braegnok
Level 14
Thanks for sharing that info.

I was stable with my G.SKILL 5600C36 in both XMP 1 profile and the Samsung preloaded profiles, but haven't ran Memtest yet with that kit.

Pulled the Samsung kit, and have been running Dell 4800 SK Hynix kit for two days. I can run all the SK Hynix preloaded profiles stable.

I went back to the first SK profile the 5600MHz,.. I like this profile as it is vary low voltage only 1.245v, does vary well on benchmarks. I wanted to tighten up primary's on the 5600MHz profile but was worried about loosing stability, was not sure which voltages to adjust. :cool:

I adjusted those voltages you listed above, disabled E-cores and tightened primary's. Running Memtest now.

New settings are stable, bumping up voltages did not effect temps during testing.

I'm still running a set of fans on memory, keeps temps low when testing, and is quick, easy to remove & swap out memory kits.

Put some copper shields on the Dell kit today, plan on testing few more kits with active air cooling, than go with the water block hopefully by this weekend.

BARTX sells some sweet custom copper for cooling your hardware: https://bartxstore.com/shop/custom-ram-copper-heatsinks-for-b-die-based-ram/

rjbarker
Level 11
Yeah I had run Memtest initally after the first few boots, but at stock RAM speeds and all was good.

Applied XMP I and spent a couple of days running various benchmarks, installing all my software etc, as Im pretty much ready to disassemble from bench and start moving into the tower, thought I would try Memtest again with XMP I and got a fail (4 errors).
I havent tried any of the Micron Profiles yet though, was going to leave all my voltages I changed, leave XMP I profile loaded but try changing memory speed from 5600 to 5800 and test.

Thanks also for sharing your results....so far with benchmark results I can see why some folks say no need to OC this CPU 😉 Although we simply must try....just not sure how I will go about it yet.
Was tempted to sync all cores to x51 and give it a go with auto voltage, see where it lands...but going to have a close look at this technique in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDmFjKeWSA

Braegnok
Level 14
I do have concerns about the PMICO on the Dell memory when I'm running it over spec, after checking spec in HWiNFO64.

Seems to be listed as Low-Voltage PMICO, with VDD & VDDQ both @ 1.1V.

Datasheet/Spec for voltages.

Currently wishing I haven't researched exactly what the Dell PMICO low-voltage type was,..

as I'm running 1.275V on VDD & VDDQ with the 5600MHz profile.

Braegnok
Level 14
I tested the AI overclock last week, it does a 71% OC with P-cores @ 5.4GHz, turbo boost @ 5.5GHz,.. system is stable but under heavy load temps are insane. And I disabled [ALL] E-cores tested again with same results,.. so I'm convinced for me personally best results are leaving CPU in default settings. And play around with memory,.. most likely going with the 5600MHz memory profile I posted above with those 1.275V settings.

The 6000MHz profile needs 1.43V volts,.. testing it now with 0046 BIOS.

Bought another Dell SK Hynix kit this afternoon,.. 2x8GB for $200.00 😛

Need to see if DDR5 8GB modules will OC with less voltage vs the 16GB modules, just something worth testing.

rjbarker
Level 11
I would think 16G vs 32G should have some good results.

I havent tried any otehr BIOS versions other than initial (0231 ?), which is still on one of my BIOS chips....n 0811 on the other chip, which is the one I have been working with primarily.
Have you tried out wPrime yet.....I ran it with 24 Threads thinking the score would be way faster then my 9900K (16 Threads) but was around 180 sec...assuming ths was due to the higher thread count ....not sure.
If I set it to 16 Threads it actually does beat the 9900K (1024 Test)....

All new platform and new OS so lots to dive into!!!

rjbarker wrote:
I would think 16G vs 32G should have some good results.

I havent tried any otehr BIOS versions other than initial (0231 ?), which is still on one of my BIOS chips....n 0811 on the other chip, which is the one I have been working with primarily.
Have you tried out wPrime yet.....I ran it with 24 Threads thinking the score would be way faster then my 9900K (16 Threads) but was around 180 sec...assuming ths was due to the higher thread count ....not sure.
If I set it to 16 Threads it actually does beat the 9900K (1024 Test)....

All new platform and new OS so lots to dive into!!!

I plan on running wPrime this weekend, some 3Dmark runs.

Personally I recommend sticking with 0811, that is my main 24/7 BIOS it is 100% stable.

Basically I'm having lots of fun with this new platform, new OS,.. +1 on lot's to dive into!!!

Good luck moving into your chassis.

rjbarker
Level 11
Yeah I have no idea whats up with wPrime 1.55....
On my 9900K Z390 Maximus XI-E :
1024M - 65.685s with this system its like triple that even at 16 Threads....24 Threads is the same
32M 3.452s with this Z690 a tad over 3 sec (16 Threads)

So not sure whats up with that.

I left all my XMP I settings the same as I listed above (voltages) but bumped the Memory Speed from 5600 to 5800 Mhz....all seems ok running any W11 Benchmarks, havent tried Memtest with it yet though
Hey are you using the paid HWInfo Program? Curious as I'm not and couldn't see any Memory Temps. Curious to see if I can tighten timings or even bump speed up to 6000 on these Doms.

Yeah I'm actually enjoying playing with this new set up...W11 hasn't been anywhere as bad as what folks are complaing about....its a bit cumbersome at the beginning but figuring it out.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Some IC don't have thermal probes
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Braegnok
Level 14
I'm running the paid version of HWiNFO64, you can right click any sensor displayed and show sensor in your tray.

Running Karu memory test or benchmarking in Windows with a few sensor temps displayed in tray is nice.

My tray with memory PMIC High Temp, memory SPD Hub Temp, and CPU P-Core Temps.