cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my G73SW-XT1

Can0puS
Level 7
Hello guys, I'm new on this forum. 😄

So, I have my G73SW-XT1 like a year ago. In the past week I'd been watching videos with my wife and suddenly the image freezes out with an annoying buzzer sound. I quickly press the ON/OFF button but the system don't shutdown. After that, I'd tried to power on the notebook without sucess many times. So, in the next morning i tried again and the system boots up. Since that day I can't restart the system with sucess( I've got the infamous Black Screen) with all the symptoms described by many others - I can hear the sounds of the OS and the keyboard lights works fine - but I can see nothing. I have tried to connect the notebook via hdmi in my tv and have no signal at all. Sometimes it worked fine, sometimes not. Yesterday it boots up then i install the furmark to check the gpu temperature. I did the stress test and the system freezes out at 69o.C degrees in 40 s during the test. Now, I can't see anything again, had the black screen forever this time... :mad: What should I do? Any suggestions? RMA is not an option, 'cause I live in Brazil and the support here can do nothing for me...

Regards and thanks for your help.!

*Sorry about my terrible english..
ASUS G73SW-XT1 - BIOS 205
12 REPLIES 12

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi and welcome to the ROG forum 😄

Hmm.... if you can access your notebook sometimes.... then I check the event list in controlpanel, and look what it says there about the issues.

Which driver version do you currently have installed on your notebook?

For me it could look like the VGA card is failing since you cant get the picture up on the TV as well (but I could be wrong about that)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi and welcome to the ROG forum 😄

Hmm.... if you can access your notebook sometimes.... then I check the event list in controlpanel, and look what it says there about the issues.

Which driver version do you currently have installed on your notebook?

For me it could look like the VGA card is failing since you cant get the picture up on the TV as well (but I could be wrong about that)

The first time I have the problem, i've installed the last stable nvidia driver from the nVidia site, after a clean win7 install. The problem is that now I can't access nothing :mad: I think I've burned my GPU, simple like that :(:mad:

If that's the case with both the internal display and an external monitor (I think you mentioned earlier that you tried that?), then I think you're looking at a failed GPU. Time for repair..... 😞

fuzon1337
Level 10
Okey..... so can boot your notbook but there is no screen ?

I want you to try this out to see if that makes any difference:

Unplug the notebook from ac adapter, take out the battery, push the power on button for 30-40 sec

Take out all the RAM, insert one at the time (to search for a faulty RAM) if it then should show the screen with one RAM brick then it's a faulty RAM (also you could plug out the harddrive as well and insert it)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Aysoos
Level 7
I used to have a similar problem, but then I did a clean install and installed the drivers directly on the Asus website. Weirdly, I had downloaded the latest driver from the nvidia site, but it caused me to have lots of problems. There was no shortcut for me - uninstalling and using driver sweeper didnt work, so I just went for a format and a clean install of Windows. See if you can boot into safemode also.

dstrakele
Level 14
It certainly sounds like your graphics adapter is faulty @CanOpuS, since you cannot display an image on an external monitor. However, take a look at this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11968-G73JH-Black-screen-(

I'm not saying you will have similar results with your system, but it shows how disassembling and reassembling can sometimes bring a dead system back to life.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
It certainly sounds like your graphics adapter is faulty @CanOpuS, since you cannot display an image on an external monitor. However, take a look at this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11968-G73JH-Black-screen-(

I'm not saying you will have similar results with your system, but it shows how disassembling and reassembling can sometimes bring a dead system back to life.

Thanks guys for your help!
I'll try disassembly and clean the parts and repaste the GPU too. But if there is no case, and let's suppose the GPU is dead... There is a light in the end of the tunnel for me?:(

dstrakele
Level 14
I recommend trying the other suggestions in this thread and the one I referenced BEFORE disassembly.

If everything fails to resolve your issue and you cannot RMA, you can pay someone to repair the laptop, or possibly sell it for parts.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

No luck with my computer... I disassembly and repaste the GPU and CPU, I have checked the connections and the problem persists.. I'm very sad.. Don't know what to do for now.. 😞