cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about updating Z490 BIOS from 2103 to 2403

KiLLa_CaM
Level 7
I don't know if this is the right place to direct these questions, but I have an ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) board currently using 2103 BIOS in Windows 10 v21H2. I want to update to 2403. When I first updated my BIOS using the EZ Flash tool, I just placed it in the main directory of my (C:) drive, located it and let it update. I thought I researched that this was fine to do on motherboards that support this functionality instead of needing to use a USB drive, this is still ok correct?

My main question is that I think I had trouble trying to update to 2301, as it said something along the lines of skipping ahead too many versions? Can I not directly update from 2103 to 2403? What is the correct way to do this without wasting a lot of time and having to flash my BIOS multiple times?

I'm also currently on ME Intel Firmware version 14.1.60.1790 and saw some confusing discussion about the newer firmware not working on certain BIOS revisions? Can someone clarify and explain this to me because as of right now it seems to be fine on 2103 BIOS I have. Do I need to change firmware versions first or anything?

Thank you for the help in advance! I'm mostly a novice when it comes to these types of things, though I'm slowly beginning to understand more.
3 REPLIES 3

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Why not use BIOS flashback? It works perfectly fine and you shouldn't have any trouble. You do not need to change firmware versions. The BIOS update may or may not update the ME firmware and Aura RGB firmware, I don't recall. So there may be some extra steps that are done automatically if so.

Then again, if it is not broke... I don't think there is much to gain if you have a 10th generation processor.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Why not use BIOS flashback? It works perfectly fine and you shouldn't have any trouble. You do not need to change firmware versions. The BIOS update may or may not update the ME firmware and Aura RGB firmware, I don't recall. So there may be some extra steps that are done automatically if so.

Then again, if it is not broke... I don't think there is much to gain if you have a 10th generation processor.

Thanks for the reply. BIOS Flashback is with a USB? I don't have a USB drive whatsoever unfortunately (yes sounds weird but I don't). Plus I didn't have trouble just using the EZ Flash within the BIOS, locating the update file doing it the first time for 2103. Is there a reason I couldn't update before from 2103 to 2301? I shouldn't have to do anything special to be able to go from 2103 to the new one 2403 right?

I just thought you were supposed to keep the BIOS updated though right? I also want to have the support for 11th Gen processors if I ever got one, not lookin to upgrade my motherboard and entire setup anytime soon

geneo wrote:

yeah, I thought so...
although I'm curious about the improved ram compatibility they state, or is just a word in the wind - to be completely honest, I don't trust anymore the Asus support in general, those so-called technicians from Asus, it's simply pure incompetence at its best, they really messed up Z490 trying to put in the same bios stuff for RocketCrap