cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access movies on my LAN PC from nPlayer app on my iPhone (WAN)

CyberDynamite
Level 7
Hello,

First of all, you should know that I am a newbie in networks. I succeeded in certain configurations, not without having to break my head but good.

My goal here is to try to successfully connect remotely with nPlayer app on my iPhone to all of the following devices:
1- Synology NAS - Access is done
2- WD Mycloud NAS - Access is done
3- Laptop - Unable to configure it properly

I have a Synology NAS and a WD Mycloud. I can access both of my devices remotely over the internet with the nplayer app without any problems. I use the nPlayer application on my iPhone with Webdav for my Synology NAS and SMB/CIFS for the WD Mycloud. (I opened ports and used port forwarding so everything worked).

I am now trying to configure my laptop and router so that I can connect and access my video files on my laptop remotely with the nPlayer app too, but I cannot. I don't know if I should use Webdav or SMB/CIFS or a FTP connection and how to configure all that.

I recently got an Asus GT-AX11000 router and read that everything could be easy to configure what I'm trying to do using my router's VPN (using OpenVPN). I read I could avoid doing port forwarding with it. However, I just can't figure out how to do it.

Can someone help me? I'm scratching my head to make this work. If you need more info, screenshots, etc. don't hesitate.
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
I'm not familiar with nplayer and how it connects to devices but from a security perspective I wouldn't use FTP or SMB. Exposing either of those to the internet is not a good idea. Honestly I would probably not expose a desktop file system to the internet at all but if I were to do that I'd probably choose SFTP on a non-default port. I believe the better and more secure solution would be to just use one of your existing NAS devices and set up a sync from your laptop so that the NAS has the files you need.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…