cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Freezes at bios 95% of the time

SgettiOs
Level 7
Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can get some help with my computer because I'm lost on what might be preventing it from working properly.

Everything on my computer worked perfectly fine until I updated to bios 3601 (Dark hero), and did a windows update. One of the two seemed to cause an issue where almost 95% of the time my computer will freeze at bios splash screen (spinning black dots just stop spinning and I have to reboot). If I sit there and reboot my computer over and over I might be able to get it to go into windows 1/30+ resets minimum.

What I've tried:
-reset CMOS
-replace CMOS battery
-reset bio settings to default
-disable fast start
-reseat all cables and components
-remove all USB peripherals
-removed sound card
-upgraded pc to windows 11 in hopes a new OS might resolve any OS corruptions from the windows updates
-downgrade bios
-tested smaller ram socket usage
-if I let pc run after a few manual shutdowns it goes into device rec

overy. it also freezes when it gets to recovery menu or sooner.
Here are my pc specs

AMD 5950x
Rog Strix 3090
VIII Dark Hero Mobo
Kraken Z73
WD Black M.2 (2 sticks)
4x8 Trident Z Neo (checked for compatibility)
5 REPLIES 5

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi SgettiOs,
Can you enter bios utility when freeze at bios splash screen?
If no, please follow the below instructions to remove all external devices and check again.
a. Keep the CPU, CPU radiator fan and a single DRAM installed on the motherboard
b. Remove all the USB devices and external cards from the motherboard, including the mouse, keyboard, USB flash disk, SSD, external PCI-E Cards, etc.
c. Remove all the cables connected to the Motherboard ,including LAN cables, audio cables. Only leave one monitor connected to verify the display.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi SgettiOs,
Can you enter bios utility when freeze at bios splash screen?
If no, please follow the below instructions to remove all external devices and check again.
a. Keep the CPU, CPU radiator fan and a single DRAM installed on the motherboard
b. Remove all the USB devices and external cards from the motherboard, including the mouse, keyboard, USB flash disk, SSD, external PCI-E Cards, etc.
c. Remove all the cables connected to the Motherboard ,including LAN cables, audio cables. Only leave one monitor connected to verify the display.
Thank you.

Tried a bit more troubleshooting:

Tested known working GPU: Still locked during POST (spinning black dots)
Tested known working ram in all configurations x1-x4 sticks: still locked up at post
Tested above recommendation without any USB attachments: still locked up at post
Created a windows repair USB drive: Was able to boot to the keyboard layout selection (first page) then it locked up.
Tested new PSU: locked up again at post
Downgraded BIOS to firmware before issues began: locked up at post
Tested LN2 Mode: locked in post
removed 2nd M2 drive and tested with primary only: locked up at post

Since I've made this post I haven't actually got the PC to turn back on again. I can only boot into bios and change as many settings to my hearts content. It's as soon as it passes bios or moves into the Asus splash screen that it locks almost immediately on the spinning black dots. Sometimes they don't even lock up but continuosly spin.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi SgettiOs,
Does it occur no matter when install OS SSD in M.2_1slot or M.2_2 slot?
If you have other SSD, please use other SSD to install windows and then check it again.
If you don't have other SSD, please backup your personal files and then format the SSD to reinstall OS.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi SgettiOs,
Does it occur no matter when install OS SSD in M.2_1slot or M.2_2 slot?
If you have other SSD, please use other SSD to install windows and then check it again.
If you don't have other SSD, please backup your personal files and then format the SSD to reinstall OS.
Thank you.

sorry for the delay, got busy but finally got around to testing today. Installed a fresh copy of windows on a ssd to narrow down if its the m2.

Confirmed working on one computer, locks up during the spinning black dots rog screen just like the normal pc does.

At this point I dont know whats left. Its sounding like rma the mobo or cpu.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi SgettiOs,
If you don't have other components to cross check, please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.