cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Parental controls/Time scheduling can be bypassed by simply changing IP?

marty99
Level 7
Hi All,

Can someone please explain why the parental controls can be bypassed by simply changing the IP on the device?

Is this expected as it makes the time scheduling control pretty useless.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
If the device is unsecured (the user has administrative access) then you've already lost the battle. Blocking by MAC address isn't much better because an administrator can easily change that as well.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

You don't need administrative access (which does not exists anyway) on an iphone or ipad.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi marty99,
Do you setup time scheduling via IP but not MAC address?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008720/
May I have the model name, firmware version and setting screenshots of your router?
Thank you.

Sure. Thanks for coming back to me.

I can only select the devices from the drop down lost as per your help article. There is no option to apply by MAC or IP.

Model: RT-AC88U
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386.45987

Sorry, but it is not allowing me to upload a screenshot. There is no OK button after selecting the JPG.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi marty99,
The setting in the screenshot is MAC address.
May I know how to change the IP on the device to bypass time scheduling?
Do the 4 devices in the screenshot bypass time scheduling? via LAN or wifi?
Is the randomized MAC enabled in those devices can bypass time scheduling?
Thank you.

They are all connected on Wifi but same bypass through a different IP can be applied to a LAN connected device.
I have MAC whitelisting enabled on the router so randomized MAC address cannot be used to access Wifi.

You are asking how to change IP on an iphone? You simply go into the wifi settings and apply an IP address manually from the same subnet. Is this what you were after?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi marty99,
Please update to 3.0.0.4.386.46065 and reset the router once.
If it still occurs, please let me know.
Thank you.