cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vg28uql1a no signal with displayport and needs manual waking

Turb-z79
Level 7
if I start up or restart my pc I do not get to see the bios boot screen and not able to access bios settings. once windows loads I will have to wake up the monitor by pressing the joystick on the back and then it will display a picture. this is also a second monitor which was replaced under rma and still has the same issue. if I shut down the pc and press the joystick on the back to wake monitor then power the pc it will boot as it should showing bios logo and then into windows os as normal. motherboard is a rog xiii hero on latest bios and an msi 3080 ti gaming x. has anyone had this type of issue and know what is causing this to happen and able to help me out I would greatly appreciate it please.
15 REPLIES 15

iwiber
Level 7
Hello, did you find a solution? Having the same issue and my store have one to replace mine with but, I'm curious since I don't think it's defect.

frame
Level 7
I bought two VG28UQL1A monitors, and both have this very annoying issue that they don't seem to wake up or turn on properly. It took me several days to figure out the following:

The screens are extremely slow to start up after they first get a signal. So slow in fact, that my ASUS RTX 3090 card often gives up and disconnects again. This happens at every reboot; I simply couldn't access my BIOS anymore when connecting via DisplayPort. When using HDMI-1 they are a bit speedier, and I was able to access the BIOS. I believe the reason for this is that the screen is trying to detect a signal by looping through all input sources in sequence, one after another and DisplayPort is the last one. In addition, I suspect that the DisplayPort signal gets "more terminated" than the HDMI one.

When Windows enters power saving mode for screens ("When plugged in, Screens turns off after... ") the same problem happens:

1. The screen doesn't go to sleep but instead gets "almost" fully turned off.
2. When you press a key or move the mouse, it takes ~13 seconds to power it up again.

"almost" fully turned off: During the sleep the screens get disconnected(!) from Windows, which has severe consequences:

When you operate two VG28UQL1A screens this happens:

The first monitor to wake up will become the new main screen. When the former main monitor turns on a split second later, the screens get rearranged again. Especially in HDR mode this means ~30 seconds wait time until you can use the computer again. Switching to HDMI reduces this time.

When Windows 10 is locked (either waiting for logon or Windows hello unlock) the situation is even worse: The lock screen has a built-in timeout before it sends all screens to sleep again. The start-up of the screens is so slow, that Windows goes back into sleep mode before the screens returned... and everything ends up in a bizarre turn on/off loop, until both or one screen decides to give up, never to return. Then a manual wakeup is needed by pressing the menu button.

I learned that the only way to get past the lock screen is to keep holding down a key (I used left CTRL) while you wait until the screens are alive. The stuck key keeps the Windows lock screen active. This also applies if you got only one VG28UQL1A. Clearly nobody tested this screen with Windows.

If you're using another monitor with a lower resolution as second screen, you're in a world of hurt: Because of the full shutdown of the VG28UQL1A monitor the 2nd screen gets declared as main (and only one) and all windows on screen get resized and moved to a single monitor. This doesn't happen every time when connecting via HDMI (again, I think it's because it's a bit speedier) but it does happen enough to be unusable.

I used two VG28UQL1A screens, so I had no window re-arrangement problem, only the wakeup dance and often one of both screens requiring a manual activation via menu button.

The sleep issue is so profound, that it leads to another edge case: If you got a 2nd device connected (e.g. in my case a Mac on HDMI), when the PC goes into screen sleep mode, the VG28UQL1A switches to the other input source.

Finally, the monitor has a bad oversight: While it's trying to start up or detect a source, you cannot use the OSD at all. If no source is connected, you cannot use it either.

In my opinion ASUS needs to release a firmware update with these fixes:

- Speed up the start-up to allow users reach the BIOS: Maybe send a hello signal before bootstrapping
- Allow users to disable the horrible deep slumber on DP and HDMI. Power Saving is very important, yes. But there's no reason to disconnect and make Windows think the screens were removed.
- Allow users to disable auto-source*
- Allow users to operate the OSD when nothing is connected.
- Allow users to operate the OSD while it tries to find a source (just let me tell you which input I want)**
- Wait a bit longer before switching to a new input signal. Computers reboot quickly, just give the source a few seconds to return.
- Don't switch sources when Windows sends a screen to sleep.
- Disable that horrible blue screen when no HDMI signal is found. What is this, a TV? PC screens go to sleep all the time! The bright blue lights up the room.

*) this is possible in the service menu, but it has some other bad side effects**: if the original source is not connected, you cannot use the screen at all anymore until you re-connect to the last used source.

I've spent a week with two VG28UQL1A and then I sent them back in rage. Maybe it's possible to fix these machines via firmware update, but I believe the ASUS VG28UQL1A model wasn't meant to be used as a PC monitor. I would be surprised if the internal software was used in anything else than a TV.

My advice: Return them.

Omg thanks for this incredible reply.

I run only one of them and still have all the issues you're talking about. For me:

- Need to use another monitor to enter in the bios
- On powering the PC, the monitor will never wake up, even on the windows login screen unless I push a button
- At least, when on regular windows sleep, like you said, a good 13sec before it turns on.

Thanks again dude. I'll probably keep my monitor hoping for a new firmware.

frame wrote:
I bought two VG28UQL1A monitors, and both have this very annoying issue that they don't seem to wake up or turn on properly. It took me several days to figure out the following:

The screens are extremely slow to start up after they first get a signal. So slow in fact, that my ASUS RTX 3090 card often gives up and disconnects again. This happens at every reboot; I simply couldn't access my BIOS anymore when connecting via DisplayPort. When using HDMI-1 they are a bit speedier, and I was able to access the BIOS. I believe the reason for this is that the screen is trying to detect a signal by looping through all input sources in sequence, one after another and DisplayPort is the last one. In addition, I suspect that the DisplayPort signal gets "more terminated" than the HDMI one.

When Windows enters power saving mode for screens ("When plugged in, Screens turns off after... ") the same problem happens:

1. The screen doesn't go to sleep but instead gets "almost" fully turned off.
2. When you press a key or move the mouse, it takes ~13 seconds to power it up again.

"almost" fully turned off: During the sleep the screens get disconnected(!) from Windows, which has severe consequences:

When you operate two VG28UQL1A screens this happens:

The first monitor to wake up will become the new main screen. When the former main monitor turns on a split second later, the screens get rearranged again. Especially in HDR mode this means ~30 seconds wait time until you can use the computer again. Switching to HDMI reduces this time.

When Windows 10 is locked (either waiting for logon or Windows hello unlock) the situation is even worse: The lock screen has a built-in timeout before it sends all screens to sleep again. The start-up of the screens is so slow, that Windows goes back into sleep mode before the screens returned... and everything ends up in a bizarre turn on/off loop, until both or one screen decides to give up, never to return. Then a manual wakeup is needed by pressing the menu button.

I learned that the only way to get past the lock screen is to keep holding down a key (I used left CTRL) while you wait until the screens are alive. The stuck key keeps the Windows lock screen active. This also applies if you got only one VG28UQL1A. Clearly nobody tested this screen with Windows.

If you're using another monitor with a lower resolution as second screen, you're in a world of hurt: Because of the full shutdown of the VG28UQL1A monitor the 2nd screen gets declared as main (and only one) and all windows on screen get resized and moved to a single monitor. This doesn't happen every time when connecting via HDMI (again, I think it's because it's a bit speedier) but it does happen enough to be unusable.

I used two VG28UQL1A screens, so I had no window re-arrangement problem, only the wakeup dance and often one of both screens requiring a manual activation via menu button.

The sleep issue is so profound, that it leads to another edge case: If you got a 2nd device connected (e.g. in my case a Mac on HDMI), when the PC goes into screen sleep mode, the VG28UQL1A switches to the other input source.

Finally, the monitor has a bad oversight: While it's trying to start up or detect a source, you cannot use the OSD at all. If no source is connected, you cannot use it either.

In my opinion ASUS needs to release a firmware update with these fixes:

- Speed up the start-up to allow users reach the BIOS: Maybe send a hello signal before bootstrapping
- Allow users to disable the horrible deep slumber on DP and HDMI. Power Saving is very important, yes. But there's no reason to disconnect and make Windows think the screens were removed.
- Allow users to disable auto-source*
- Allow users to operate the OSD when nothing is connected.
- Allow users to operate the OSD while it tries to find a source (just let me tell you which input I want)**
- Wait a bit longer before switching to a new input signal. Computers reboot quickly, just give the source a few seconds to return.
- Don't switch sources when Windows sends a screen to sleep.
- Disable that horrible blue screen when no HDMI signal is found. What is this, a TV? PC screens go to sleep all the time! The bright blue lights up the room.

*) this is possible in the service menu, but it has some other bad side effects**: if the original source is not connected, you cannot use the screen at all anymore until you re-connect to the last used source.

I've spent a week with two VG28UQL1A and then I sent them back in rage. Maybe it's possible to fix these machines via firmware update, but I believe the ASUS VG28UQL1A model wasn't meant to be used as a PC monitor. I would be surprised if the internal software was used in anything else than a TV.

After contacting support again they requested a video of the issue and I filled out a form for them with my specs as the email said it will be passed on to there headquarters for them to set up a similar spec and test. Hopefully they are able to replicate and find a fix Hopefully with a firmware update. Had mine since September so don't think I have a chance to return for a refund anymore and wish I did from the start.

I just got x2 of these monitors and both have these exact issues. Hopefully there is a fix soon

Just received another email to saying they have passed the information to level 2 support for further investigation so hopefully something is able to get fixed.

frame wrote:

The screens are extremely slow to start up after they first get a signal. So slow in fact, that my ASUS RTX 3090 card often gives up and disconnects again.

Thank you so much for this post. I have the same issue and it was driving me crazy. Sometimes the monitor turned on, sometimes not. Touching menu-buttons made it turn on in OSD, but not display. It makes sense that its because the GFX card give up. Also I most frequently cannot see my bitlocker PIN screen in BIOS, and I can never see BitLocker bios screen when rebooting from windows, but sometimes I can see it when I turn off the PC completely, wait a bit, and then turn pc on.

I created an RMA and was stunned at how horrible the process were when they reject it. No extra details, no thread of communication or phone-call, just a cold-hearted rejection and a requirement to go through the entire RMA signup-process again. I've read many times that ASUS support sucks, but it different experiencing it myself.

I would return it if I could. My faith and trust it ASUS brand has suffered a rather severe blow. Samsung it is from now on, I guess.

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
Just got this monitor today to try it out.

I am having the same issues, F!@#, I really like the monitor. Guess its going back.
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Bios 1002: Intel i7 14900k: CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 64GB 6600MHz DDR5: : ASUS ROG STRIX PG38UQ: ROG Strix 4090 OC :2 M.2 990 PRO 2 TB: CORSAIR - AIO CORSAIR LINK H170I LCD : Corsair HX1500I: Corsair 7000D airflow Case: Windows 11 Pro

applantern
Level 7
It seems the PG32UQ also has the same issue (more or less)

Asus PG32UQ issue