cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QCODE 55 (Memory not installed) - No video - Z690 HERO

mileshigh1013
Level 7
I can't get past POST with QCODE error 55 and an orange DRAM LED.

I have tried reseating RAM, and in different positions, updated to the latest BIOS using flash (my video output not working so I can't see a BIOS screen).

RAM is not listed on the QVL: Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) CMT32GX5M2X5600C36 Dominator Platinum RGB C36 5600MHz DDR5

Any suggestions before I go out and buy either of the following?
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600

My system (new build):
i9 12900K / Z690 HERO / Corsair Dominator 5600 CL 36 (2x16GB) / ROG Strix 3080Ti OC 12GB
8 REPLIES 8

mpoffo
Level 10
Was your board by chance part of this recall?

https://www.asus.com/us/news/u5866wtjwmbj1fue/
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

mpoffo wrote:
Was your board by chance part of this recall?

https://www.asus.com/us/news/u5866wtjwmbj1fue/

No, fortunately not. Confirmed with ASUS support, the serial number checker, and by looking at the orientation of the positive/negative terminal on the board.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Reseat the CPU whilst checking for any bent socket pins and even cooler mounting pressure. Also ensure none of the stand-off screws are over-torqued in the CPU and DRAM section of the board. If practical, remove the board from the chassis and test again.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Reseat the CPU whilst checking for any bent socket pins and even cooler mounting pressure. Also ensure none of the stand-off screws are over-torqued in the CPU and DRAM section of the board. If practical, remove the board from the chassis and test again.

Thanks, I tried this and tested the board outside the case. It worked in that I was able to POST and reach bios for the first time. Then I was able to install Windows 11 Pro. Then the issues began. Constant BSOD (various stop codes), system freezes, can play a game for a while (even an hour) and then system crashes and throws a stop code. Sometimes it won't post (various errors but qcode 55 (ram) will show occasionally). I tried start ups with / without GPU and keeping one RAM stick in and swapping out. Problems still occur.

I ran memtest86, the first RAM stick produced over 7000 errors within the first few passes / tests. The second stick failed after too many errors. I am not 100% sure whether this is a RAM issue or an underlying CPU or board issue. I have ordered the cheapest stick of DDR5 I could buy (8GB Crucial on the QVL) and will test that to see if I can isolate the problem.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The new RAM I ordered arrived today. It is listed on the QVL: Crucial 8GB (1x8GB) 4800MHz CL40 DDR5

Installed it. PC seemed to run fine for a few hours (after an initial start-up hiccup). Then it crashed. Now it won't pass POST, with Q Code 55. This doesn't change.

So, is this then likely to be a faulty motherboard or CPU?

mileshigh1013 wrote:
The new RAM I ordered arrived today. It is listed on the QVL: Crucial 8GB (1x8GB) 4800MHz CL40 DDR5

Installed it. PC seemed to run fine for a few hours (after an initial start-up hiccup). Then it crashed. Now it won't pass POST, with Q Code 55. This doesn't change.

fwiw my Apex with 12900k can stop at 55 if I use memory that won't actually do the xmp spec at the rated voltage or if I screw with bad timings. Safe boot button into bios then apply default settings gets it back to a baseline jedec spec that will boot. From there I can achieve XMP using a small bump in the voltages (by .05, 1.25->1.30 in my case), or use one of the ASUS memory profiles. So while it may seem like the board is fried or unpostable stuck at Q55, it's probably not. If you don't have a Safe boot button, try clearing CMOS. Also, don't be too impatient. I've found that the memory training cycles can be slow and repetitive and sometimes seem "stuck". That doesn't necessarily answer your "faulty" question, but I hope it helps... it could still be our boards or bioses have a fault of some kind.

mileshigh1013 wrote:

Hello,

Apply optimized defaults to the UEFI and retest. Do not apply any XMP profile or overclocking.

If the problem continues, you may want to investigate the CPU socket and cooler, sounds like it's potentially a contact issue of some sort.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Were you ever able to find a solution for this issue?