cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Chipset Driver 3.10.22.706 'Ghost' Installs

Rivereyes
Level 7
Hi all,

For the past couple of months, Armoury Crate shows me an AMD Chipset Driver 3.10.22.706 update available. (5900X) I download and install, it goes through. No failure messages and AC shows that the driver is installed after the operation finishes. I am prompted to restart my PC.

Upon restarting (no error messages) the update is offered again, same as ever : AMD Chipset Driver 3.10.22.706.

Anyone else experiencing the same? Is this a known issue?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

RedSector73
Level 12
Maybe just install the latest from here
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

It actually fails installation when I attempt it manually and it tells me that a newer version is already installed.

AC keeps prompting me to install that phantom version as well. Hopefully this will be resolved soon!

Rivereyes wrote:
It actually fails installation when I attempt it manually and it tells me that a newer version is already installed.

AC keeps prompting me to install that phantom version as well. Hopefully this will be resolved soon!

I saw something similar happen with Armoury Crate updates not hardware chipset drivers. I think it is a sign of windows needing maintenance. I make this maintenance suggestion, might seem like a lot of work:

1. From Administrator command prompt: chkdsk /x /f. Yes and restart computer.
2. Uninstall Armoury Crate with uninstall tool and restart computer.
3. From Administrator command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
4. if any problem reported by previous command then: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
5. Restart computer
6. From Administrator command prompt: sfc /scannow
7. Restart computer
8. From Administrator command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /AnalyzeComponentStore
9. If cleanup is recommended by previous command: dism /online /cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup. Afterward Restart computer
10. Check for windows updates, check device manager for any device driver issues, re-install any driver that might be a concern to you.
11. Got to Control Panel ->Security and Maintenance. Click button "Start Maintenance"
(allow to complete takes from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending. You will see "maintenance in progress" change to "No action needed" when it is done)
12. Reinstall Armoury Crate and check for Armoury Crate updates.

Its your call whether to reinstall Armoury Crate, or whether to do all of those steps, but this would be a good system tune up and I think good chance to resolve the issue. Thats how I would approach it on my system.

It's the kitchen sink approach, eh? 😄

Everything else updates as it should, I don't believe it's a system issue as I keep my gaming rig quite lean. From what I gather though, this is an isolated issue, not something widespread. I'll keep troubleshooting to see if I can figure it out.

Rivereyes wrote:
It's the kitchen sink approach, eh? 😄

Everything else updates as it should, I don't believe it's a system issue as I keep my gaming rig quite lean. From what I gather though, this is an isolated issue, not something widespread. I'll keep troubleshooting to see if I can figure it out.

You know your system better than I. I try to cover the bases. 🙂

Rivereyes wrote:

Not sure what you mean. The actual AMD driver is further update than AC provides.

Think you better run powershell in admin with these commands

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

reboot and then see if you can install the driver.

No, not an isolated problem. Hit me too. I am now encountering a slew of additional problems as of yesterday. See here about the Chipset drama (potential partial solution); see here about newfangled problems (which I strongly suspect are directly related to this problem; no evident problems before Chipset drama).

Whatever is actually going on here, it's clear we need a fix. Quickly, one hopes.

Mortiferon wrote:
No, not an isolated problem. Hit me too. I am now encountering a slew of additional problems as of yesterday. See here about the Chipset drama (potential partial solution); see here about newfangled problems (which I strongly suspect are directly related to this problem; no evident problems before Chipset drama).

Whatever is actually going on here, it's clear we need a fix. Quickly, one hopes.

I also got this problem, and I think I got the root cause. If you got this problem most likely you don't have the "AMD Chipset Driver" Listed as installed in Windows "Apps & Features"(Windows 11) or "Programs & Feature"(Windows 10) . The latest driver is expecting or assumes that a previous Driver is installed and fails with a 1603 error if it cannot find it even if it managed to install all the drivers (gpio, psp, pci etc...) .

So the solution here is as follows

1) Install the latest driver (Expect it to fail at first with a 1603)
2) Open File explorer then navigate to
C:\Users\[Change_to_Name_of_User_Installing_the_Driver]\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Software\[SomeHexadecimalFolderName]

(Make sure that this is the latest created by the installer, you might have several that was created by previous versions of the installer)
(Just look for the one with the latest timestamp)

3) Once you are in the folder specified above execute or double click on "AMD_Chipset_Drivers.msi" (Ignore errors if you encounter any)
4) Install the latest Drivers again (This time the install will finish without any errors)
5) reboot

Reason for executing AMD_Chipset_Drivers.msi is for it to list the AMD Chipset Driver as installed in "Apps & Features.

The above is the only solution that worked for me. The other solutions as posted by others above and in your link did not work.

Hope this helps

Gymkata wrote:
I also got this problem, and I think I got the root cause. If you got this problem most likely you don't have the "AMD Chipset Driver" Listed as installed in Windows "Apps & Features"(Windows 11) or "Programs & Feature"(Windows 10) . The latest driver is expecting or assumes that a previous Driver is installed and fails with a 1603 error if it cannot find it even if it managed to install all the drivers (gpio, psp, pci etc...) .

So the solution here is as follows

1) Install the latest driver (Expect it to fail at first with a 1603)
2) Open File explorer then navigate to
C:\Users\[Change_to_Name_of_User_Installing_the_Driver]\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Software\[SomeHexadecimalFolderName]

(Make sure that this is the latest created by the installer, you might have several that was created by previous versions of the installer)
(Just look for the one with the latest timestamp)

3) Once you are in the folder specified above execute or double click on "AMD_Chipset_Drivers.msi" (Ignore errors if you encounter any)
4) Install the latest Drivers again (This time the install will finish without any errors)
5) reboot

Reason for executing AMD_Chipset_Drivers.msi is for it to list the AMD Chipset Driver as installed in "Apps & Features.

The above is the only solution that worked for me. The other solutions as posted by others above and in your link did not work.

Hope this helps

Thanks for this. It worked perfectly. Indeed bad installation commands and coding from the developers. ASUS needs to up their support game because all my devices from Motherboard, Screens, Graphics Cards, Monitors could be the last...