cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z690-A Gaming D4 and 4 DIMMs of 16GB each

NastyPirate
Level 9
Hello all,

I built my new PC about ten days ago with an i7 12700KF and ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming D4. I installed a 32GB kit of RAM (2x16) with Crucial Ballistix @ 3600MHz/C16.
My question is this:

Would I have issues if I decide to add another exact same 32GB kit in order to have 4 DIMMs of 64GB total RAM?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
7 REPLIES 7

Ubascouser
Level 7
NastyPirate wrote:
Hello all,

I built my new PC about ten days ago with an i7 12700KF and ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming D4. I installed a 32GB kit of RAM (2x16) with Crucial Ballistix @ 3600MHz/C16.
My question is this:

Would I have issues if I decide to add another exact same 32GB kit in order to have 4 DIMMs of 64GB total RAM?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi I've just built a pc with the same mobo I used 4 sticks of 16gb @3600mhz from corsair. Had problems with crashes blue screens etc when I enabled xmp. It's running stable with two sticks but only at 2666mhz. Not tried to put the other two back in yet. Might just send them back.

Ubascouser wrote:
Hi I've just built a pc with the same mobo I used 4 sticks of 16gb @3600mhz from corsair. Had problems with crashes blue screens etc when I enabled xmp. It's running stable with two sticks but only at 2666mhz. Not tried to put the other two back in yet. Might just send them back.

Oh my, seems you have either a defective M/B or RAM sticks. Mine (2x16GB) is working fine with XMP on at 3600MHz (Crucial Ballistix). Which XMP did you use? 1 or 2? When I first installed them in January, I had selected XMP 2 and I too had blue screens and crashes, not to mention that Memtest86 failed utterly. XMP 1 did the trick though. I dare not pay 200 EUR to get another 2x16GB of RAM though...

NastyPirate wrote:
Oh my, seems you have either a defective M/B or RAM sticks. Mine (2x16GB) is working fine with XMP on at 3600MHz (Crucial Ballistix). Which XMP did you use? 1 or 2? When I first installed them in January, I had selected XMP 2 and I too had blue screens and crashes, not to mention that Memtest86 failed utterly. XMP 1 did the trick though. I dare not pay 200 EUR to get another 2x16GB of RAM though...

I've tried both profiles 1 and 2. Cpu hits 89c. Even with latest bios 1404. Had to clear cmos. Memory only running at 2666mhz

Ubascouser wrote:

both were the same sku from team group 4500 2x8 B dies grade 2 bin binned at ~2933,,IDR by samsung and not grade 1 VIA SAMSUNG FOUNDRY 3200,, They hade two different PCB layouts one was eqaul space 8 1gb b.die modules(--------) the newer also grade 2 bin had 2 groups of 4 eqaul spaced 1gb bdie modules towards the (---- ----) edges with a large void in the center for the rgb IC ect though my modules are not equipped.. the latter as a single kit was able to run xmp on older bioses just fine,, (likeley with lesser performance than 2933 gear 1 auto EVERYTHING,,,sigh,, i ended up returning my older kit of Same'ish SKU matched modules wish i had dug deeper earlier on Marketing and Financial projects with concerns for raptor lake seem to be affecting the amount of user facing easily digestible data we already have it and you know we overclocked it EMPOWER US TO GET THE MOST OUT OF IT ffs intel

this is all 600 series//generic "info?" and is often a minimum to expect operational compatiblity many partners enable more so long as its not discureged my BLUE sheesh GLHF,,,

i may sound critical but intels my nieghbor,, were cool =P
tech dyslexic PDX, OR

Astroturf
Level 8
Newbie to these forums. Been reading up before I purchase the STRIX z690-A DDR4 Mobo and RAM. Came upon this sticky thread in the Z690 Motherboard forum:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Seems that Asus won't support users that purchase multiple RAM kits. Was just about to order 2 x 16GB RAM (2x8GB) kits from Team Force. Will now focus on purchasing 1 x 32GB RAM (2x16GB) kit instead. Hoping that I have read that right and also answered your query.

I had issues running two kits. I actually had two different sets fail on me.

my system

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E
i9-12900K
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 (PC5-48000)

ahfoo
Level 13
That is why may be Z690 series or Intel latest 12th Gen CPU architecture changes for this series of mobo. That trigger my another thread need input of the memory topology. According to what I read from the web, different mobo manufacturer may not fully followed Intel standard. I may be wrong.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129343-Asus-Z690-series-motherboard-memory-topology