cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Skill discontinued ram model i bought and released a new batch with higher voltage

mc_suly_514
Level 7
I noticed G.Skill now makes the same ram that i bought but with higher voltage.
i contacted newegg and a vendor in france and they both said the model i bought is most likely discontinued.
so shouldn't we be getting a free upgrade, since there could be something wrong with our batch?

my g Ram: G.SkiLL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 @ 1.30v 36-36-36-76 (F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK)
new batch: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 @ 1.35v 36-36-36-96 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK)

the difference is the model number is slightly different, the voltage is higher by 0.05, and the last timing is higher from 76 to 96.

EDIT:
newer bios 1101 did help a lot, but g.skill also approved my RMA for a replacement set
15 REPLIES 15

PM44122
Level 7
I ordered the mentioned version with U but instead I got the one with J (U and J should be the same) abut at the end with an F (stand for 1,35 volt)

I contacted G-Skill Techsupport because I asked about the differences and that was the answer:

Â*> From: "G.Skill USA Tech Support" > To: "———" <——@-—-> > : Re: G-SKILL Ram > > Hi Peter > > Yes, in any case they need to correct the issue. It is never OK to send an > inferior product, even if they are similar. > > Best Regards > GSKILL SUPPORT

PM44122 wrote:
I ordered the mentioned version with U but instead I got the one with J (U and J should be the same) abut at the end with an F (stand for 1,35 volt)

I contacted G-Skill Techsupport because I asked about the differences and that was the answer:

Â*> From: "G.Skill USA Tech Support" > To: "â€�â€�â€�" <â€�â€�@-â€�-> > : Re: G-SKILL Ram > > Hi Peter > > Yes, in any case they need to correct the issue. It is never OK to send an > inferior product, even if they are similar. > > Best Regards > GSKILL SUPPORT

mine was preordered a month before release. been having freezes ever since.
what a scum of a company. release a new revised product in 2 months and discontinued the old version!! they should have done a recall and not keep it secret.
i contacted g.skill rma and my distributor , we'll see what happens.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat! Would work at standard 4800 JEDEC specs, but getting constant hangs at XMP I. And don't even think about XMP II. Have spent hours and hours trying to get it to work. The only way it'll pass memtest86 is to reduce the frequency to 5600 or sometimes 5800, reduce the timings to 40, or increase the VDD/VDDQ voltages up to 1.375 (Note: 1.35 volts would still fail). Sounds to me like GSkill should put a recall on this model since it's not living up to their advertised performance specifications.

All I see is a different kit PN with a not too dissimilar set of voltage and timings. That's assuming that it's even the same memory IC type or revision.

Those who think they've somehow been sold short should read this sticky. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP

This platform is very sensitive to hardware combinations, meaning the window for stability at the applied settings from CPU to CPU and memory kit is often different. The above thread touches on this.

VCCSA:
Rules still scale with frequency as they always have. The voltage window on DDR5 ALD for this rail can often be narrow for stability. Try a manual value of 0.98v to start.

MCVDD (Extreme Tweaker>Advanced Memory Timings:
To make matters worse, some types of IC do not like Memory Controller VDD above 1.25v, however, with others, it is needed. This means manual tuning is often required here, too.
You can find more information here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126439-ROG-Z690-Overclocking-Guide

gimbal wrote:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat! Would work at standard 4800 JEDEC specs, but getting constant hangs at XMP I. And don't even think about XMP II. Have spent hours and hours trying to get it to work. The only way it'll pass memtest86 is to reduce the frequency to 5600 or sometimes 5800, reduce the timings to 40, or increase the VDD/VDDQ voltages up to 1.375 (Note: 1.35 volts would still fail). Sounds to me like GSkill should put a recall on this model since it's not living up to their advertised performance specifications.

XMP II although not validated by ASUS often has more relaxed sub-timings, as this is the default XMP / DIMM profile. XMP I is the profile validated by the memory vendor and ASUS.

Applying the aforementioned discontinued kit on the Apex also nets some impressive results.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
All I see is a different kit PN with a not too dissimilar set of voltage and timings. That's assuming that it's even the same memory IC type or revision.

Those who think they've somehow been sold short should read this sticky. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP

This platform is very sensitive to hardware combinations, meaning the window for stability at the applied settings from CPU to CPU and memory kit is often different. The above thread touches on this.

VCCSA:
Rules still scale with frequency as they always have. The voltage window on DDR5 ALD for this rail can often be narrow for stability. Try a manual value of 0.98v to start.

MCVDD (Extreme Tweaker>Advanced Memory Timings:
To make matters worse, some types of IC do not like Memory Controller VDD above 1.25v, however, with others, it is needed. This means manual tuning is often required here, too.
You can find more information here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126439-ROG-Z690-Overclocking-Guide

XMP II although not validated by ASUS often has more relaxed sub-timings, as this is the default XMP / DIMM profile. XMP I is the profile validated by the memory vendor and ASUS.

Applying the aforementioned discontinued kit on the Apex also nets some impressive results.

Just talking about daily stability.. overclocking and xmp is a whole different ball game with the asus z690 haha
hey who knows, i looked through the g.skill lineup and havent seen a "subtle" change like that

EDIT: the worst part is that it passes all the memory tests in the world but crashes when you actually do something lol

mc_suly_514 wrote:
Just talking about daily stability.. overclocking and xmp is a whole different ball game with the asus z690 haha
hey who knows, i looked through the g.skill lineup and havent seen a "subtle" change like that

EDIT: the worst part is that it passes all the memory tests in the world but crashes when you actually do something lol

The above shows Karhu passing 2000% which is stable. If you are having trouble doing day-to-day workloads then perhaps look to tune the other subsystems as it sounds like the instability is elsewhere.

Wow, you are getting some impressive results on the Apex board! I certainly don't have anywhere near that level of expertise to get that level of performance. I do have a couple of basic questions that I'm sure you can help me with:

1. Where are the following voltages in the BIOS. These are mentioned in the ROG Overclocking Guide but I can't seem to find them.
- TXVDDQ
- VCCIO
- MCVDD

2. I noticed you're running VDD and VDDQ up to 1.48V or so. Does that significantly increase temperature? Given the GSkill 6000 memory is speced at 1.3V, does one have to be careful running that high a voltage?

3. Would appreciate your thoughts on running the built-in Memory Presets in the BIOS (located under DRAM Timing Control). Specifically, there are 2 presets for Samsung chips which I believe the GSkill 6000 memory uses. Both of these presets run VDD/VDDQ at 1.435V, plus they make a host of other timing changes as well which I just don't understand. Have you tried these presets? Are they any good? Do they significantly increase temperature?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
The above shows Karhu passing 2000% which is stable. If you are having trouble doing day-to-day workloads then perhaps look to tune the other subsystems as it sounds like the instability is elsewhere.

as i stated earlier system was stock with no overclock lel, shouldn't need to tune if your running stock values. drivers were all stock, and tried both win 10 and 11.

anyways it's fine because its been stable since latest bios update and on a good note g.skill approved my rma for an updated replacement set for the g. skill memory

mc_suly_514 wrote:
as i stated earlier system was stock with no overclock lel, shouldn't need to tune if your running stock values. drivers were all stock, and tried both win 10 and 11.

anyways it's fine because its been stable since latest bios update and on a good note g.skill approved my rma for an updated replacement set for the g. skill memory

Hello,

XMP isn't stock. This is outlined in the sticky linked

gimbal wrote:
Wow, you are getting some impressive results on the Apex board! I certainly don't have anywhere near that level of expertise to get that level of performance. I do have a couple of basic questions that I'm sure you can help me with:

1. Where are the following voltages in the BIOS. These are mentioned in the ROG Overclocking Guide but I can't seem to find them.
- TXVDDQ
- VCCIO
- MCVDD

2. I noticed you're running VDD and VDDQ up to 1.48V or so. Does that significantly increase temperature? Given the GSkill 6000 memory is speced at 1.3V, does one have to be careful running that high a voltage?

3. Would appreciate your thoughts on running the built-in Memory Presets in the BIOS (located under DRAM Timing Control). Specifically, there are 2 presets for Samsung chips which I believe the GSkill 6000 memory uses. Both of these presets run VDD/VDDQ at 1.435V, plus they make a host of other timing changes as well which I just don't understand. Have you tried these presets? Are they any good? Do they significantly increase temperature?

Thanks for any input you may have.

VCCSA or System Agent Voltage is under the Extreme Tweaker menu.

VDDQ TX and Memory Controller VDD are under Advanced Memory Settings which can be found at the bottom of the Extreme Tweaker menu.

1.48V is needed for the applied overclock. With the PMIC now onboard the module temperatures can crank up quite quickly, which can hurt stability. Active cooling such as a fan can be needed, or tune the memory to where it is most comfortable.

If you're referring to the Memory Profiles section on the Apex, the Samsung profiles are good, yes. Tighter than XMP and at Command Rate 1. Naturally, these things are tougher on the memory controller and modules in terms of stability.