cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X570 E Gaming NVME speeds.

knt
Level 7
Hi,

Is it possible to get full speed on both NMVE slots when filled with either gen3 and/or gen4 NVMEs.

NVME1 slot always have near full read/write speeds with gen/3/4 NVMEs, but NVME2 slot read/write speeds are very low when compared to NVME1 when using the same spec NVMEs gen3/4.

Tried using 2 x WD850 NVME NVME1 slot always give near full read/write speeds but NVME2 slot read speed ~6000MB/s and write speed ~3000MB/s.

Tried using 1 x WD850 NVME (R/W 7000/5300 MB/s from WD) NVME1 slot always give near full read/write speeds and 1 x Samsung EVO Plus NVME (R/W 3,500/3,300 MB/s from Samsung) NVME2 slot read speed ~3000MB/s and write speed ~2500MB/s.

I have read one review saying the NVME2 on this board has limited bandwidth whilst another review saying non of the storage lanes are shared.

Any feedback and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

knt
Level 7
Anyone using this motherboard have near full read/write NVME speeds with both NVME slots occupied?

cnpcman
Level 7
I confirm, I have 2 nvme gen 3x4 xpg SX8200 Pro, 2TB and 1TB, the 1TB SSD has lower speed and is in the bottom slot.

knt
Level 7
Thank you for your reply

I'll probably stop chasing it now as tested in Windows 11 and thought it might be a driver problem, but also tested it in Linux with similar speed outcome.

Strange as the manual says

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Processors 1x M.2 PCIE 4.0 x4

and

AMD x570 Chipset 1 x M.2 PCIE 4.0 x4

so both should run at full speed.

skrybe
Level 9
Not positive about the x570e but the Crosshair shares PCIe lanes with the NVMe slot and the Graphics card. So if you use two NVME drives performance suffers. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the x570e is the same.

edit: Manual says the video and m.2 shouldn't share lanes. But it looks like maybe it's sharing some with other sata drives? Do you have other sata drives hooked up as well as the m.2 drives?

skrybe wrote:
Not positive about the x570e but the Crosshair shares PCIe lanes with the NVMe slot and the Graphics card. So if you use two NVME drives performance suffers. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the x570e is the same.

edit: Manual says the video and m.2 shouldn't share lanes. But it looks like maybe it's sharing some with other sata drives? Do you have other sata drives hooked up as well as the m.2 drives?

Yes all fully stocked up.

The only reason I picked this motherboard was that non of the lanes were suppose to be shared from what I could get from the manual and some online reviews.

knt
Level 7
Just a quick update, the latest firmware update on the WD850 2TB M.2 NVME have sorted out the write performance on the NVME 2 slot ~5000+ MB/s but the read performance hasn't changed ~6200 MB/s.

WD850 1TB FW version 613200WD M.2 NVME slot 1

WD850 2TB FW version 614900WD M.2 NVME slot 2

Now, if only WD can also sort out the read performance on this this SSD would be great but have read it might not be possible to improve the read performance.

I'm having a similar issue and yet to find a good answer. On top of that my drive that was at least reading and writing at its correct speeds, is now disconnecting itself from my PC whenever I try to play a game that's on it and I won't get it back tell I restart windows..

crakilz wrote:
I'm having a similar issue and yet to find a good answer. On top of that my drive that was at least reading and writing at its correct speeds, is now disconnecting itself from my PC whenever I try to play a game that's on it and I won't get it back tell I restart windows..

Hi,

1. I would look to see if the NVME you're using has the latest firmware.

2. Windows updated to latest release.

3. Check to see if you've the latest AMD drivers installed.

4. Check BIOS settings for relevant PCIe generation setting.

I have not experienced any disconnections on an internal NVME connection.

Since posting both the NVME is running near full speed when tested with CrystalMark8.

Does any other SSD work correctly in the same slot?

crakilz wrote:

Interesting. I'm also experiencing this issue as of lately. Samsung 980 Pro 2TB in the second slot. This wasn't an issue 6 months ago when I first got the drive but it has become a problem in the last 2 weeks. Latest firmware, latest BIOS, Latest chipset drivers, Gen 4 enabled on all PCIe & NVMe lanes.