Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo93 View Post
    My guess is there is a problem with the power supply, perhaps just a bad connector somewhere.
    Exactly my thought. It seems that instability in the power supply is causing this. Either something is wrong with the PSU itself, or as you said, a bad connector somewhere.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I’m bringing it in tomorrow, but if it is the power supply, is there any way I can check? Anything specific I am looking for in terms of wiring?

New ROGer Array Jimbo93 PC Specs
    Jimbo93 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ABS Master Gaming PC
    MotherboardASUS Prime B560M-A AC
    ProcessorINTEL i5 10400F
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVKB x 2
    Graphics Card #1ASUS DUAL-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2
    Sound CardRealTek HD
    MonitorSAMSUNG 40" LCD
    Storage #1INTEL 660p NVMe SSD PEKNW512GB
    CPU CoolerTHERMALTAKE UX100 ARGB
    CaseTUF GAMING GT301
    Power SupplyASUS TUF GAMING BRONZE 650W
    Keyboard TUF GAMING K1
    Mouse TUF GAMING M3
    Headset/Speakers Cambridge Works PC
    OS Win 11 Pro 21H2 22000.652
    Accessory #1 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.652.0

Quote Originally Posted by toby12f View Post
    I’m bringing it in tomorrow, but if it is the power supply, is there any way I can check? Anything specific I am looking for in terms of wiring?
    not sure how helpful I can be on the specifics. But I would inspect all PS connectors for looseness or signs they are getting hot. Slight discoloration or worse. Damage to any male/female parts you can see of each connector.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by toby12f View Post
    Obviously, the instant slam dunk test is to ship the CPU, motherboard, storage, PSU, RAM And video card to the retailer and have them test those 6 components together in the same identical installation as you have, as well as run OCCT PSU test with or without AI OC. If it passes there with flying colors, well, that transformer did some damage to your wiring or you're getting "dirty power" because that incident. I'm not going anywhere near "Dirty power" debates as I know nothing about it, period.

An equally slam dunk test is to take your entire system to a friend or relative's house who does not live close to your power grid and test it there. If it's 100% stable, then you 100% know it's your power. If it crashes there, then I would look very carefully at the power supply itself, since the retailer tested a different PSU.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I tried at a separate house. Same problem. Everything is brand new, but it’s possible something is defective. I did make sure all the wires were in firmly. I have brought it to the retailer twice and both times they said it was fine. Going to try again today and show them what’s wrong with it by testing in front of them. The OCCT PSU test failed within a minute on a multitude of combinations.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The retailer tested each piece individually and they said it turns out the CPU was defective. I am going to pick it up now, hopefully all is good now.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Seems to be fixed. I plugged it right back into the surge protector, all is good. They said the CPU was DOA hahaha… thanks all for assistance.

New ROGer Array

Any chance there is a Via "any bus" clock/timer alternative source

Intel seems more worried about 13th gen Sales Forcasts (12gen+)
    But between lack of transparency and blovk diagrams system platform info in easily digestible public available format.

Decent IPC of a good quality without bundled lesser IPC, cache girth at cost of cache effecincy,efficiency,, undisclosed quality, of manufacturing memory ics are same specifically barley adequate for inadequate memory Not New Why is it not New KF without scar of failed grafting KFS without scars from any attempted grafting igpu or Eficent, only to be wasted silicon, never used until E-cores are E waste upon gaming designation... why don't you tell you standards and open source think tanks it's unethical so they can publicly tell you the same... hopefully 13th gen comes with lube

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Hello,

This philosophy is so outdated now that it's borderline flat-out incorrect. So much so that by leading users up this path you're potentially impeding their overclocking potential for no good reason. Unless it was built to run Prime. By endorsing this method other people will always be able to clock higher than you and be as stable as they need to be.

Remember, no overclock is ever 100% stable - that's something some users fail to wrap their heads around. For some reason, there are still Pro-Prime camps of users who like to subject their CPUs to copious amounts current that otherwise, their normal workload won't ever see. Depending on the workload, all you are doing is impeding your own overclocking range in real-world tasks. The fact Intel quickly acknowledged this by implementing the AVX offset function speaks volumes.

Even with all that aside, as far as stress testing memory is concerned there are far better tests than running large FFT (or small) Prime that isolate the memory subsystem. I and others in-house haven't used Prime to test stability since Haswell-E and use our systems crash-free on a daily basis. Of course, what you choose to take away from that depends on your mindset.

Nonsense, an overclocked system should not suffer random bsod or crash events, period.
    1 offs every few months mean the system is not stable, period.

Prime95 is a tool in achieving that.
    Should it be relied on alone to achieve stability?, No.

once prime95 is stable, you follow up with AVX testing.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart View Post
    Nonsense, an overclocked system should not suffer random bsod or crash events, period.
    1 offs every few months mean the system is not stable, period.

Prime95 is a tool in achieving that.
    Should it be relied on alone to achieve stability?, No.

once prime95 is stable, you follow up with AVX testing.
    What exactly in the post is nonsense?

1. What tests unearth instability depends on the platform, CPU architecture, and which subsystem is unstable.

2. Claiming an overclocked system should not experience random BSOD is categorically an invalid statement and objectively incorrect. Perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean by this.

3. If a system is stable for your use case and data integrity is not critical, then the system is stable enough.

4. It's possible for a stock system to fall over given enough time. Thereby, the same premise applies when running a system outside of reference code or stock parameters. For example, if you ran a memory stress test for several days, overclocked or not, there is a chance that the system would eventually flip a bit.

5. P95 is not by any means the best way to stress test memory.

It's more accurate to say that some overclocks are less conditional than others. Should that mean that you should accept that stop codes are normal when using the machine? Absolutely not, but if the crashes only occur in certain synthetic loads where the system is drawing almost twice the amount of current and not when you're using the machine on a daily basis, then that comes down to one's own physcy / preference.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 06-07-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast