cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 10GBE WAN

Contact
Level 7
Hi, it's been a while. I haven't been to the forums in a while I was looking for some info on a product that is not out yet. I have two wan ports coming off my CPE. I have a 10gb base-T set to 3 gigs and a GE port running at 1000/1000. My install is a EDI circuit in the middle of nowhere. I got a little lucky.

So most routers that I see that run 10gbe do so on the LAN side. There has only ever been one competitor that has released a router with a nas port that could be changed to a wan port but it was a SFP+ 10GB base-T fiber port. Personally I can't really rationalize putting a SFP in a home router the size of a gaming router, to me it would get to hot. So there is this one. I couldn't use the tri band rapture as there was no wan port that supported 10gbe.

Below is quoted from the asus rog video from ces 2022.

"The router comes with dual 10g lan ports that provide extra bandwidth to heavy-duty network devices such as a compatible nas or desktop pc. This router comes with 4 1gb lan ports and a 2.5 gigabit wan port that supports aggregation up to 3.5 Gigabit per second and load balancing."

If someone from rog official could help. The other competitor router would allow the 10gb lan port to be switched into wan mode so you could take advantage of the 10 gig networking.

And then the wan port. Sigh. Maybe isp's are making 2.5g a thing? I don't understand. I'm not trying to criticize it just does 2.5 base-t but not 10gb base-t? 3.5 base-t isn't a thing and just stop right there I am frustrated is all. 2.5 base-t could like never be provided on isp through fiber unless I am missing something. I cannot switch my 10gb base-t port to 2.5gbe without sacrificing 500 megs. The only thing I could do is try to switch the 10gbe port to 5gb base-T and go without the 1gb. HOWEVER THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. Isp's only do 10gb base-T.

Thanks in advance. But when you get into that kind of isp and those types of speeds. They don't normally talk in 2.5, 3.5, 5 or 7 base-T. The isp's don't do that. Unless you want to throw like 100,000 dollars at them.

I wouldn't mind testing too. I have a strange usage case you seem to want to appeal to I just don't know what market you are trying to sell to.
14 REPLIES 14

Saltgrass
Level 13
As far as the 2.5 Gbps speeds, I read the ISPs are considering the type of Ethernet cable needed and realize many buildings would have to be rewired for the 10 Gbps speed. So the 2.5 Gbps may remain a standard for the near future since it would work with the current cable. The cost of the higher speed is probably also a factor.

As for the AXE11000, the specs show it has a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet/WAN port. I don't have fast ISP access so I cannot confirm. There are threads here where folks with a 1.5 Gbps speed were not able to get even that. But ASUS seems to verify the situation in your post.

Keep in mind, the ASUS technical folks you requested, don't hang out in this forum. If you get the router, maybe you could confirm the 2.5 Gbps WAN speed. 😉
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

AT&T Now offers 2Gbps and 5Gbps . I was initially looking to upgrade my AXE-11000 to the AXE-16000 but there really isn't any improvement on the WAN side . Hopefullly they upgrade that WAN to 5GBE before release.

samendolaro wrote:
AT&T Now offers 2Gbps and 5Gbps . I was initially looking to upgrade my AXE-11000 to the AXE-16000 but there really isn't any improvement on the WAN side . Hopefullly they upgrade that WAN to 5GBE before release.

On the AXE-11000 I was able to use the 2.5 Gb port as WAN or LAN port. I was able to see a little over 1 Gbps speed in the beginning when my ISP first upgraded our speed from 300 Mbps. I was then using a 1 Gb port as my backhaul. It was somehow unstable and the ISP dropped it under 1.0 Gbps so I switched and use the 2.5 Gb port as backhaul now. I would hope the AXE-16000 is the same that you could configure the 10 Gb port(s) WAN or LAN...

Contact
Level 7
Hey salt. I worked in ISP throughout 2020 and they are not considering 2.5 or 5gig as there is nothing on the back end that does it. 10/100/1000base-T 1gbbase-T 2.5gb base-T 5gb base-T 10gb base-T are all different languages. They can't write in that language if they don't speak it. Fiber head ends, nodes and cmts' do not speak that language. From their perspective there isn't any reason to do anything less than 10gb base-t. They do 10gb base-T then provision you for less speed than 10gb's. Not provision you for 2.5 or 5 so your install can speak a different language than anyone else in the zip code or area. Isp's don't do special at least not in America.

If you say....get 2.5 gigs symmetrical fiber so it is as fast upload as it is down they put you on a 10gb base-t install with 2.5 gigs of provisioned speed. The port still talks in 10gb base-T not 2.5gb base-T. You would literally need to spend twice as much money to take advantage of that one port on that router. You would need to put a juniper passthrough 8k then a switch then the rog router then another switch after the rog router.

ahfoo
Level 13
I dont think it will improve noticeable between 1GB internet connection over 5GB internet connection. 10GB will see much more improve as the cable company need need to commission both exchange to your your building and to your house with cable structure change such as cable change rewired to your premises.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Does anyone have any info on when this router (AXE16000)will be available? I don't really need it but it would help if I wanted to use the 5 GHz radio for AiMesh.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

As of today I see it on the ASUS US website. I think I should have waited for it.

jzchen wrote:
As of today I see it on the ASUS US website. I think I should have waited for it.

I have seen it on the website for a while but no price associated. I have been watching a Dell Monitor which is showing a moving 9 week delivery date. I assume this is because of the China lockdown.

I might also assume ASUS does not need to wait on China so maybe this is just a normal delay after announcing a new product.

I would still be very interested to find out if folks using the 2.5 Gbps Wan\Lan port are getting much more than 1 Gbps if they have the 2.5 Gbps ISP service.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I have 2.5 Gbps backhaul. Is there a way for me to test the throughput? (Am I understanding your concern correctly)?