Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by wing_man View Post
    According to Buildzoid the higher you raise the voltage the lower the Dram temperature when it becomes unstable. ie. Stock settings can handle higher temp then overvoltage Dram can.
    So in other words, more voltage is probably part of my stability problems and raising the voltage is only making worse?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Per a friend who also has a 12900k with the APEX board I tried rolling back to BIOS 0811. He was the one who suggested the corsair sticks I have. He is on 0811 and just set it to XMP I and never had any issues with the corsair memory.

So I think my CPU IMC just isn't up to the task of higher DDR5 speeds from what I can tell. Anyone else agree? I am probably going to buy another 12900k at this point unless anyone can think of any reason I shouldn't? I know cost is always a factor but on my setup I just want to get it stable so I can start actually doing the "fun" tweaking. I feel like I have been fighting this for a while and it's getting really annoying.

And again, I know XMP is "overclocking" but this feels like beyond what should be needed to simply run XMP. At this point I have messed with voltages on two mem kits for hours on end and still can't get XMP even close to stable. Even my 5800mhz "stable" build isn't really stable.

Side question: my buddy has a 12600k ddr4 system. I assume this IMC would run 3600cl16 ddr4 just fine yes? If so I could get him this 12900k for an upgrade so I don't have to sell to someone else who might struggle with ddr5 too. Again...assuming at this point the IMC in my 12900k just isn't good enough.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Still working through this with both G.SKill and ASUS. I have now gone back to the latest BIOS as that was recommend by ASUS, so now back on 1101. I did a lot of single stick single dimm testing. I was able to get my gskill Samsung based memory to pass memtest with XMP I (ASUS recommends using XMP I vs XMP II) with either stick in the DIMM slot further from the CPU at the full 6000 rated speeds. The DIMM closer to the CPU would only allow 5800 speeds with XMP I. When using both sticks the best I could do is 5400 speed with XMP I.

This is all using Memtest still to test for now. I have AIDA64 extreme, Prime 95 and Intel XTU for more testing once I have a reason to try to get a daily stable thing going. I am waiting to hear back from ASUS and GSkill to see what they think based on the testing I just did. The GSkill ram is approved on the QVL on both Gskills site and ASUS' site now too (it wasn't on ASUS's site when I started this thread but they added a ton more now).

I still have my corsair kit but might return it soon as obviously that kit didn't "solve" my problems. I haven't done too much testing on that kit so I could maybe try tweaking that kit and get that kit working but I am just working the process slowly here. I have had good responses and support from ASUS/G Skill so going to see how that plays out first.

I am trying to keep this up to date for other people that might have similar issues.

I also got a $50 off CPU coupon for microcenter so I am very tempted to go buy another 12900k and swap that and see if things improve. I am not there yet though. Mainly, I don't want to disassemble my customer loop as that is a huge PITA.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
    Still working through this with both G.SKill and ASUS. I have now gone back to the latest BIOS as that was recommend by ASUS, so now back on 1101. I did a lot of single stick single dimm testing. I was able to get my gskill Samsung based memory to pass memtest with XMP I (ASUS recommends using XMP I vs XMP II) with either stick in the DIMM slot further from the CPU at the full 6000 rated speeds. The DIMM closer to the CPU would only allow 5800 speeds with XMP I. When using both sticks the best I could do is 5400 speed with XMP I.

This is all using Memtest still to test for now. I have AIDA64 extreme, Prime 95 and Intel XTU for more testing once I have a reason to try to get a daily stable thing going. I am waiting to hear back from ASUS and GSkill to see what they think based on the testing I just did. The GSkill ram is approved on the QVL on both Gskills site and ASUS' site now too (it wasn't on ASUS's site when I started this thread but they added a ton more now).

I still have my corsair kit but might return it soon as obviously that kit didn't "solve" my problems. I haven't done too much testing on that kit so I could maybe try tweaking that kit and get that kit working but I am just working the process slowly here. I have had good responses and support from ASUS/G Skill so going to see how that plays out first.

I am trying to keep this up to date for other people that might have similar issues.

I also got a $50 off CPU coupon for microcenter so I am very tempted to go buy another 12900k and swap that and see if things improve. I am not there yet though. Mainly, I don't want to disassemble my customer loop as that is a huge PITA.
    I found the same thing with my samsung 6000 cl36 36 36 76 ram. Xmp1 at 5400 was as fast as I could go with stability. I could boot at xmp1 at 6000 but when the ram got hot it would crash.

New ROGer Array

Samsung runs hot! 70°C on a 30min OCCT memory test. G.Skill F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK

https://i.imgur.com/MPTqECW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4S5OuFX.jpg

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Braegnok PC Specs
    Braegnok PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus Z690 Apex
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-12900K
    Memory (part number)CMT32GX5M2X6600C32
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    MonitorAsus Swift PG32UQX
    Storage #12TB Seagate FireCuda 530 SSD
    Storage #24TB Seagate FireCuda 120 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-Quantum Velocity2
    CaseTT A700 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate
    Mouse G502 Lightspeed
    Headset SteelSeries Arctis Pro
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Could be worth a shot trying latest beta BIOS 1302 released yesterday. https://www.overclock.net/threads/of...#post-28954298

I'm still testing BIOS 1302,.. so far my system stability is noticeably better with 1302 vs BIOS 1101 with memory frequency above 6000MHz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1302 BIOS MCU18.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	92338
    Last edited by Braegnok; 03-03-2022 at 04:10 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Braegnok View Post
    Could be worth a shot trying latest beta BIOS 1302 released yesterday. https://www.overclock.net/threads/of...#post-28954298

I'm still testing BIOS 1302,.. so far my system stability is noticeably better with 1302 vs BIOS 1101 with memory frequency above 6000MHz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1302 BIOS MCU18.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	92338
    Maybe I will give that a try. I was honestly hoping that there was a BIOS update and that was actually more of the issue versus my CPU but who knows. I know that some people are able to run kits but maybe those are just ones with really good memory controllers on the CPU's. I will look into this one though, thanks!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by warreng090 View Post
    Samsung runs hot! 70°C on a 30min OCCT memory test. G.Skill F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK

https://i.imgur.com/MPTqECW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4S5OuFX.jpg
    Looks like you are pushing a good bit of voltage though, 1.4+. So guessing that is part of your heat issue. Regardless, something is up. Could be early adopter nonsense, could be my CPU, could be a lot of stuff. I am hoping its not my mobo but who knows.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wing_man View Post
    According to Buildzoid the higher you raise the voltage the lower the Dram temperature when it becomes unstable. ie. Stock settings can handle higher temp then overvoltage Dram can.
    So in other words, more voltage is probably part of my stability problems and raising the voltage is only making worse?

That isn't strictly true in a direct sense but does depend on the IC. It has more to do with the condition of the overclock, i.e. can increased voltage still allow for the required slew rate to be met. These things are in fact impacted by temperature. This is one of the reasons it's sometimes necessary to tune certain voltages and not simply increase them.

In short, the more unstable the settings the more likely temperature will impact stability. This isn't anything new and is transferable across all DDR platforms. Tuning voltages gradually can require time which is why some users can become unstuck quickly.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 03-03-2022 at 09:52 AM.

New ROGer Array

Looks like you are pushing a good bit of voltage though, 1.4+. So guessing that is part of your heat issue. Regardless, something is up. Could be early adopter nonsense, could be my CPU, could be a lot of stuff. I am hoping its not my mobo but who knows.
    1.435 VDD/DQ. I dialed back the OC because temps are too high for my comfort zone. Hitting 54 when gaming. Plenty of airflow through the case too. Anyone know what temp triggers the "PMIC High Temperature" monitor on HWiNFO?

I am using my original 12900k. Out of curiosity, I purchased a 2nd 12900k back in January. It wouldn't boot XMP so I returned it. Sucks too because it was a better overclocker than my current chip (SP 89 vs SP 81).

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast