Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Well ASUS is now saying they want me to return the motherboard for Repair. Is there possibly actually something wrong with the board? The closer DIM slot for sure acts differently. But this really sucks if I have to disassemble my entire water loop and basically the whole computer to send in the mobo. I am just curious what could cause something like this?

I am frankly surprised I am having this much trouble as part of the reason I went with the apex was to get better memory control. I am still not ruling out that my CPU isn't as good as it needs to be, but 6000 speeds for DDR5 isn't really that high, I am expecting quite a bit higher by 13th gen so if it can't run this not a good start.

Would the new BIOS possibly fix this or could there actually be something wrong with the mobo?

PS. My SP is 91 so fairly good. My E cores are dragging that down some as the P cores are even higher.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

If you have an Apex and slot 1/chA clocks(is stable) say 400 to 600mhz lower it is the MB most likely. Been confirmed by many. I have old board and new 2022 manufacture date and new board is night and day better. 7000c32 Karhu and game stable vs 6400 on old Apex using same cpu and memory.

Old MB could pass Karhu at 6666c30 but crashed in games. New MB also has no issues with making changes and rebooting at 7000. Old MB any changes in bios would become unstable past 6400. Only way to get 6400+ stable on old MB was clear cmos and load saved profile or new settings.

I know a couple other guys that also have new MB and they found the same thing.

Easy way to verify is test each slot seperately and if you see issue only on slot A testing both memory sticks you most likely have your answer it is MB. Could be IMC on CHA but so many have this issue on Apex I would put my money on it is the MB.
    Last edited by bscool; 03-04-2022 at 12:02 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by bscool View Post
    If you have an Apex and slot 1/chA clocks(is stable) say 400 to 600mhz lower it is the MB most likely. Been confirmed by many. I have old board and new 2022 manufacture date and new board is night and day better. 7000c32 Karhu and game stable vs 6400 on old Apex using same cpu and memory.

Old MB could pass Karhu at 6666c30 but crashed in games. New MB also has no issues with making changes and rebooting at 7000. Old MB any changes in bios would become unstable past 6400. Only way to get 6400+ stable on old MB was clear cmos and load saved profile or new settings.

I know a couple other guys that also have new MB and they found the same thing.

Easy way to verify is test each slot seperately and if you see issue only on slot A testing both memory sticks you most likely have your answer it is MB. Could be IMC on CHA but so many have this issue on Apex I would put my money on it is the MB.
    Well there is for sure a gap of at least 200mhz. I never tested high enough to know if it was more than that. My far slot has passed 6200 with my sk hynix kit as of now. I am repeating the testing I did on my Gskill 6000 kit with the sk hynix kit right now. So technically you could say its at least 400mhz but its different memory. So we will see what happens when I keep testing.

I will say this, it is for sur emy Slot A/ChA (the DIMM closer to the CPU) that is not performing the same as the DIM further away. I will also say that ASUS was quick to ask for the board back too. GSkill also said I should start trying different hardware at this point, either motherboard or CPU. I am going to finish testing my corsair kit and then will probably tear down my water loop this weekend and send the Apex in for repair. Sounds like the channel I am having problems with has a common issue.

Thanks for the heads up!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well just testing for the past 5 or 6 hours. On my first stick of Corsair 6200 speed I was only able to run at XMP I 6000 speed on the near CPU slot, Channel A. On the further slot it has already passed all the way up to 6600 with no voltage increase or anything over stock XMP I settings. There is a clear gap in performance between DIMM slots, now shown up on separate kits, manufactures etc.

So guess I will tear down the PC and send the mobo in for repair...bummer

I am kind of excited if this is the problem though, should be easy to get some mid 6000 speeds out of my system once I get a proper board...hopefully I learned a lot at least.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warreng090 View Post
    1.435 VDD/DQ. I dialed back the OC because temps are too high for my comfort zone. Hitting 54 when gaming. Plenty of airflow through the case too. Anyone know what temp triggers the "PMIC High Temperature" monitor on HWiNFO?

I am using my original 12900k. Out of curiosity, I purchased a 2nd 12900k back in January. It wouldn't boot XMP so I returned it. Sucks too because it was a better overclocker than my current chip (SP 89 vs SP 81).

54c is nothing to be concerned about. The PMICs have an operating range of up to 105C
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 03-04-2022 at 07:35 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Update: I have been reading on this forum that others are having the same issues and there does appear to be a manufacturing problem.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/of...94802/page-159

It looks like Silent Scone is over there too talking. Anyway, ASUS has had my APEX since 3/9 and still waiting for them to give me a word on a replacement. I am not holding my breath on this one as it seems there is a shortage on the APEX. I am hoping with a newer board that was made this year that my memory XMP will work out of the box or at least with some of the tuning I am doing here if my IMC is truly not that great. Considering how much I was able to run my slot B though with no changes in voltage I think my IMC is actually decent but will have to wait for a new MOBO.

Fingers crossed .

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello Thomas,

I sent in my mobo and it was received on March 10th, well technically it was there earlier but it took several days to register it was there. Originally they said it would be 7-10 days to get a new one, then that turned into a month and 4/10 due date. Now they are saying 4/19. On top of all that, they are saying a refurbished board will be provided. What gives?

I feel like for someone who spent hours upon hours troubleshooting and doing the right thing after paying a premium of $700 and not to mention $70 to ship the motherboard back should be given a known good board, realistically I think I should get a new board. Are you able to help me at all?
    Last edited by thomas_yiu@ROG; 03-30-2022 at 02:51 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well, I'm glad that they're now openly admitting to the issues with the early batches.

I'm awaiting my new motherboard as well by the way op!

Good luck bro! It's been a hell of a battle to get this far.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 03-30-2022 at 05:43 AM. Reason: no affiliation with OCN

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by thewebsiteisdown View Post

Well, I'm glad that they're now openly admitting to the issues with the early batches.

I'm awaiting my new motherboard as well by the way op!

Good luck bro! It's been a hell of a battle to get this far.
    Well good luck to you too man, this has indeed been a huge PITA. I have honestly never had these kinds of issues with ASUS before so I am hoping my new board, whatever it ends up being fixes this. It's really sad that my 12900k/3090 kingpin build is just sitting there torn apart. I have resorted to buying a buddies old 6700k/gtx980 build which I am now using for a temp solution. Plus I will use parts from this to make a test bench before I put the apex back in my system as I am not putting my custom loop back on before I know it works lol.

Fingers crossed this all gets fixed here soon.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 03-30-2022 at 05:42 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Post has been deleted but can be found on other sites.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast