cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Hero Z690 - Audio Crosstalk

Log_cal
Level 7
I have an issue with the onboard sound with audio crosstalk.

If for example I am in Discord, the people I am connected to can hear whatever it is that I am listening to on my headset. It can be in game audio or it can be youtube but they can clearly hear it. What is even more confusing is that I can mute the mic or remove it altogether yet the line out audio is somehow crossing over to the line in/mic. Even tried having the mic of one headset connected whilst having the line out of another headset connected but issue still persists. The 'listen to this device' option in settings is unticked.

I am now on my third motherboard and all three have had this issue.

tried to resolve it by

Using front panel
using back panel (directly into motherboard)
updating to latest audio drivers and also rolling back to previous and windows default drivers
updating the ALC DAC firmware
lowering the db level of mic
lowering the volume of mic
lowering the volume of the headset
lowering the amplification level of headset to performance
disabling sound enhancements
disabling all other mics, virtual mics, digital inputs etc in sound control settings
disabling all other speakers, virtual speakers, digital output, hdmi outputs in sound control settings
tried three different headsets with 3.5mm phono jacks, all had same issue (tried a USB headset with no issue)
tried using the echo cancelation in sonic studio and also noise reduction

The issue is easily replicated in windows sound recorder, I play music on windows media player and then speak through the mic. On playback the music is just as clear as my voice

System spec:
Windows 11
Asus Maximus Hero Z690
Intel i7 12700k
Corsair DDR 5 5600mhz CL36
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVME M.2
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
Corsair RM850X PSU
Corsair H115i Capellix AIO
Acer Predator XB271HU Monitor
Corsair K70 Mechanical keyboard
Endgear Gaming XM1R mouse
HyperX Cloud Alpha 2 headset (although issue is not isolated to that headset but other headsets with 3.5mm aux plugs)

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated and maybe verification on if this is a widespread issue or is there something on my setup causing it.

Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
Does it occur on bios 1003 and Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2307 with bios all default settings?
If you only connect one headset, does it still occurs?
Does it also occur after reinstall windows 11 without any other drivers and apps?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Log!cal,
Does it occur on bios 1003 and Realtek USB Audio Driver V6.3.9600.2307 with bios all default settings?
If you only connect one headset, does it still occurs?
Does it also occur after reinstall windows 11 without any other drivers and apps?
Thank you.

Hi, yes to all your questions.

I did a complete fresh install of Win 11 with no other software installed and the issue was still there. As I said this is the third motherboard now that is having this issue. I doubt it is a motherboard or driver issue as others would have confirmed this for me. But the problem is still evident on 3 different headsets. It cannot be the case as the problem is also there when I use the rear IO.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
May I have the information below?
- the serial number of your motherboard via PM
- the specific model name of ram such as CORSAIR CMT64GX5M2X5200C38(Ver 3.43.01)
- OS version and OS build
Thank you.

I was experiencing a similar problem with PC audio playing out on Discord. Turns out the issue was caused in the Realtek Audio Control config, under Device Advanced Settings there was an option selected "Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device."

This setting was causing PC audio out to mix with the microphone input, contrary to expectations. Issue would happen even if I completely unplugged the microphone and had no other input devices plugged in. Disabling this setting resolved the issue, though I did have to readjust microphone boost afterward.

Mouser wrote:
I was experiencing a similar problem with PC audio playing out on Discord. Turns out the issue was caused in the Realtek Audio Control config, under Device Advanced Settings there was an option selected "Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device."

This setting was causing PC audio out to mix with the microphone input, contrary to expectations. Issue would happen even if I completely unplugged the microphone and had no other input devices plugged in. Disabling this setting resolved the issue, though I did have to readjust microphone boost afterward.

Hi Mouser

The setting for "Tie up same type of input jacks" is not available with the current audio driver and Realtek Audio Control Panel. Also the "Acoustic Echo Cancellation" setting is not available as some users with other motherboards have reported using this setting also removes the audio crosstalk.

Kind Regards

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Log!cal,
May I have the information below?
- the serial number of your motherboard via PM
- the specific model name of ram such as CORSAIR CMT64GX5M2X5200C38(Ver 3.43.01)
- OS version and OS build
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN

So sorry for the late reply. I have PM'd you the requested information.

Thank you

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Mouser,
Do you mean the people in discord can hear the system sound or music playing even if there is no microphone, headset or speaker connecting when "Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device." selected?
If your motherboard is ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi, does the issue happens on bios 2423 with bios all default settings and the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9088.1?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Mouser,
Do you mean the people in discord can hear the system sound or music playing even if there is no microphone, headset or speaker connecting when "Tie up same type of input jacks, i.e. line-in or microphone, as an input device." selected?
If your motherboard is ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi, does the issue happens on bios 2423 with bios all default settings and the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9088.1?
Thank you.

Yes, I confirmed the behavior by playing some music in a browser Youtube window, and activating the "Tie up the same type of input jacks...". They could hear the music when the button was active.
- I verified they could still hear the sound if I unplugged my headset/microphone.
- I did not attempt to unplug a separate speaker out plug.

I have the latest Realtek audio driver. I have not yet been able to update the bios, still on version 2006. I had issues with AI Suite a month ago that it wouldn't install EZ Update. Been waiting for a new AI Suite install package to address this.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Mouser,
Does it only occurs on discord or also on other communication apps such as Microsoft teams?
Could you please update bios via EZ flash to see if it occurs on bios 2423 with bios all default settings and the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9088.1??
Thank you