Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Yes, please @dataDave...I would be interested in hearing how you modded the BIOS to turn on the memory settings, and may try it at some distant point in the future (after my warranty has expired mind you, which isn't too far off), since ASUS isn't likely to care about the G74 and its problems any further beyond the release of the G75. If you could post a short HowTo, that would be great!

But I would echo Brody's warning to anyone thinking about this: a bricking with a broken modded BIOS means tremendous headache: a return to ASUS and probably a cost (since the warranty is toast). The G74 probably just isn't the machine for the masses to be doing this with since it doesn't have a backup CMOS chip.
    Last edited by fostert; 04-15-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Enthusiast Array

OK guys, here is what we get when we open up the BIOS in the editing program.

By default, both failsafe and optimal values are set to 'Auto', I'm figuring if I override the optimal column to a setting of 1600, save and then flash, that this will inform the system the max speed for the memory to run safely would be 1600.

I really need someone with experience in BIOS mods to go over this and make sure there isn't anything else I'm missing from the other settings, such as maybe RAM voltage and that kind of thing, before I flash and potentially cause harm. Are there any other forums out there well versed in these matters? My only concern is that it must be grabbing the 'Auto' value of 1333mhz when the slots are fully populated from somewhere, and the same for the post-1333 values when only two slots are being used, and I'd like to know where.

Regards,
    Dave.

PS. Also, I'm seeing these concerns voiced across multiple threads now... Would it be advisable to create a new thread so we can capture all memory woes under one roof?
    Last edited by dataDave; 04-16-2012 at 02:17 AM.

You shouldn't need to hike the voltage for the sticks to work at 1600: the ICs have been screened for the trait of high-frequency at low voltage and are rated for 1600 at the nominal 1.5V. There may not even be provision to tweak the DRAM voltage in this BIOS; that may be intentional since heat scales with volts (Ohm's law) and thermal tolerances are very tight in a notebook.
    --
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203

ROG Enthusiast Array

OK, noted. Thanks for that.

I'm actually thinking of just flashing this and seeing what happens. ><

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Yikes.....we'll hold our collective breath 'til we hear back from you! Good luck.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The only thing potentially holding me back is the hidden configuration for capping the speed to 1333mhz.

There has to be somewhere that says "Are all slots populated? No? Run at top speed. Yes? OK, run at 1333."

I can't find it, and I don't want it to conflict with me telling the BIOS optimal settings are 1600. If it overrides then fine, the mod simply won't take effect, if it conflicts and bricks, then I'm in a world of hurt. ><

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post
    If it overrides then fine, the mod simply won't take effect, if it conflicts and bricks, then I'm in a world of hurt. ><
    Yeah......that's the rub. Honestly, bricked-with-a-voided-warranty would be too big a risk for me. If the Aptio emergency flash procedure were an option in these models, I'd probably be the first one playing with the settings in there. But I've seen too many bricked laptops on this forum.....not anxious to join that unhappy crowd.

Why would it conflict? And if it does exist it probably refers to the optimal frequency in case all four slots are filled. But I can't see it because say one puts 4 sticks of 1066MHz RAM in there (which the core i7 2630/2670QM are stated to also support: see ark.intel): why would it "overclock" those to 1333 MHz?
    Seems like it should work...and if it doesn't it falls back on failsafe settings, which you have not modified.

I admit I am anxious to hear how it turns out, but first and foremost you're the owner...with the risk you'll create a new thread on these forums, where we either follow your success and glory or your repair experience...nonetheless I am optimistic as others round here have modded the BIOS to fix the throttling issue and successfully flashed it. Good luck!
    Last edited by fostert; 04-17-2012 at 03:58 AM.
    --
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Why would it conflict? And if it does exist it probably refers to the optimal frequency in case all four slots are filled. But I can't see it because say one puts 4 sticks of 1066MHz RAM in there (which the core i7 2630/2670QM are stated to also support: see ark.intel): why would it "overclock" those to 1333 MHz?
    Seems like it should work...and if it doesn't it falls back on failsafe settings, which you have not modified.

I admit I am anxious to hear how it turns out, but first and foremost you're the owner...with the risk you'll create a new thread on these forums, where we either follow your success and glory or your repair experience...nonetheless I am optimistic as others round here have modded the BIOS to fix the throttling issue and successfully flashed it. Good luck!
    Is there a guide here on how to mod and flash the bios to fix the throttling ? I would like to give it a try ......

ROG Enthusiast Array

OK, so I flashed my modded BIOS right away with the 1600 settings for optimal... and nothing has changed (apart from the addition of the CPU Thermal options).

At least it turned back on. ><

CPU-Z still shows 665mhz for RAM, however under the SPD tab it recognises the 800mhz G.Skill and correct clock speeds. Screen shots soon, just running memtest86+ a few times first to check for any duff memory.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast