cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK8 running 16 Gb of corsair ram at 1600mhz??

Retired
Not applicable
Hi I'm new at the forum. I just got my g74sx-bbk8 and 16 gbs of corsair vengance ram at 1600mhz, i've installed the memory without issues but the memory its been read at 1333mhz. Is there a way to make it look at the rams at 1600 mhz?

My bios its the 201 ver. and the processor its an Intel i7's 2nd gen. 2670QM. Thank, any help will be much appreciated. Greetings
48 REPLIES 48

gilbert
Level 10
r.torres wrote:
Hi I'm new at the forum. I just got my g74sx-bbk8 and 16 gbs of corsair vengance ram at 1600mhz, i've installed the memory without issues but the memory its been read at 1333mhz. Is there a way to make it look at the rams at 1600 mhz?

My bios its the 201 ver. and the processor its an Intel i7's 2nd gen. 2670QM. Thank, any help will be much appreciated. Greetings

it can't b done , i have the same laptop/ ram , I have tried everything i can think of i even called asus and corsair with no solution , there may be a new bios update coming out soon , hopefully they will release it with an up to date mem controller so it can read the real speeds of the ram sticks .........
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

Hmmm, can your processor support 1600mhz?

Direct from Intel: http://ark.intel.com/products/53469 - It doesn't look like it.

I just ordered my G74SX-XT1 last week with i7-2760QM upgrade, so decided to go with the 16gb 1600mhz as the processor can handle it: http://ark.intel.com/products/53474/Intel-Core-i7-2760QM-Processor-%286M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz%29

BrodyBoy
Level 10
It doesn't matter, inasmuch as the G74's BIOS simply doesn't allow more than 8Gb to run at that speed. 16Gb RAM runs at 1333MHz.

fostert
Level 12
The integrated memory controllers (IMCs) on Nehalem and Sandy Bridge are incredibly hardy and can Overclock a loooooong ways...Intel is just quoting a guaranteed tested rating, and obviously will say nothing about their OCing capabilities. My i7-860 desktop is using 4x4GB=16GB of 2000 MHz RAM, and every last byte runs 100% stably at that speed, thanks to the memory controller in the nehalem (which is only rated to 1333 max).

The i7 Mobiles will handle up to 32 GB of RAM. Unfortunately we can't probe their OC limits because the BIOS in the G74 does not allow any adjustments or tweaks at all. It also seems that for some reason filling all 4 DIMM slots in the G74 causes the BIOS to force the IMC to run at 1333. I've been trying to figure out why ASUS did this purposefully...my guess is for thermal management (4 banks of RAM puts more of a voltage load on the IMC than 2, and perhaps ASUS figured their thermal solution for the CPU wasn't good enough to additionally overclock the IMC at the same time, which would generate even more heat).

Haven't we seen some around here though running 2 stix (2x8GB=16GB) of the Corsair 1600 Vengeance stuff successfully at 1600MHz?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Isn't there an option to turn on the BIOS memory config when modifying the BIOS to remove the thermal throttling? I saw the option there and modified it, then saved the new BIOS. Of course I now need to wait for my hardware to turn up so I can flash it and find out.

dataDave wrote:
Isn't there an option to turn on the BIOS memory config when modifying the BIOS to remove the thermal throttling? I saw the option there and modified it, then saved the new BIOS. Of course I now need to wait for my hardware to turn up so I can flash it and find out.

Modifying the BIOS, or using a modified BIOS, instantly voids the warranty. Considering how easily the BIOS on these things gets bricked, both in normal flashing and and in playing with mods, the cost of service is a risk that should be considered if you plan to go that route.

dataDave wrote:

well then if you happen to get all 4x4 16gb working at 1600mhz by configuring bios please let us know how you did it , and hopefully the rest of us can get ours working too....
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB

I plan on modding the BIOS to eliminate the CPU throttling anyway, So I was figuring I may as well switch on the Memory menu at the same time.

All these options are already in the BIOS, they are just toggled to 'off'.

Do you seriously think Asus will ever update their BIOS?

dataDave wrote:
I plan on modding the BIOS to eliminate the CPU throttling anyway, So I was figuring I may as well switch on the Memory menu at the same time.

All these options are already in the BIOS, they are just toggled to 'off'.

Do you seriously think Asus will ever update their BIOS?

I dont think they ever will or if they do it would take a very long time , but if you find a way to mod the bios im sure that a lot of people here including me would like to know how , and that way we can push this machines to their max ......
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB