cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is this spot on Dark Hero x570?

xLith
Level 7
I am dealing with an RMA and ASUS claims this damage to the board even though I didn't see anything of the sort on it before I sent it in. Is it a spot under the heatsinks on the board? Trying to figure out how I would've missed something so obvious if it truly was there. Also how I didn't smell anything.

To add, I've looked at about any Dark Hero picture I could find and this area is not anywhere I can find unless it's under the passive cooling system. I found a video of someone putting a block on the cpu/vrm and it clearly wasn't under where those heatsinks are. Anyone know of a picture anywhere with the passive cooling system removed? I'm starting to wonder if they got a picture of the wrong motherboard. Also shouldn't this be covered regardless under the warranty? I've never OCed and this thing was sitting behind a 1500VA UPS w/Pure Sinewave. Nothing else in the system is having issues.

Edit: Found this full tear down and still cannot locate the area where they got this picture from...

Edit: I found it. It's the area next to the CPU header.
8 REPLIES 8

BillBittel
Level 12
Glad you found it. I checked out the pictures at the full tear down link you posted and I could not find an area near the CPU socket that looks like this. By CPU header do you mean the CPU socket or a power header? Can you clarify exactly where this is?

As for your board, I assume if the mobo was working properly you would not be going through the RMA process with Asus. What problem resulted in you doing an RMA? I know that New Egg is famous for "finding" bent pins on returned motherboards, including ones that never had a CPU installed in them. I have not heard of Asus pulling this kind of thing on customers. Could this damage be related to whatever problem started the RMA?

BillBittel wrote:
Glad you found it. I checked out the pictures at the full tear down link you posted and I could not find an area near the CPU socket that looks like this. By CPU header do you mean the CPU socket or a power header? Can you clarify exactly where this is?

As for your board, I assume if the mobo was working properly you would not be going through the RMA process with Asus. What problem resulted in you doing an RMA? I know that New Egg is famous for "finding" bent pins on returned motherboards, including ones that never had a CPU installed in them. I have not heard of Asus pulling this kind of thing on customers. Could this damage be related to whatever problem started the RMA?

It was by the CPU fan header. Right where the VRM heatsink ends at the top. As for problems, I had full freezes and PC turning completely off. Started troubleshooting by replacing the PSU, then the memory, then finally the motherboard. Once I replaced the motherboard and put all of the same old equipment in otherwise, it has been working fine since. Which blows my mind if this is indeed my board they sent a picture of, how I didn't notice a nice burn mark right next to the QLED light I was reading to try and diagnose my issues, let alone swapping parts for troubleshooting.

cl-Adrian
Level 8
xLith wrote:
I am dealing with an RMA and ASUS claims this damage to the board even though I didn't see anything of the sort on it before I sent it in. Is it a spot under the heatsinks on the board? Trying to figure out how I would've missed something so obvious if it truly was there. Also how I didn't smell anything.

To add, I've looked at about any Dark Hero picture I could find and this area is not anywhere I can find unless it's under the passive cooling system. I found a video of someone putting a block on the cpu/vrm and it clearly wasn't under where those heatsinks are. Anyone know of a picture anywhere with the passive cooling system removed? I'm starting to wonder if they got a picture of the wrong motherboard. Also shouldn't this be covered regardless under the warranty? I've never OCed and this thing was sitting behind a 1500VA UPS w/Pure Sinewave. Nothing else in the system is having issues.

Edit: Found this full tear down and still cannot locate the area where they got this picture from...

Edit: I found it. It's the area next to the CPU header.

My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, I would be more than glad to help provide a resolution to this case. Please email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Complete Shipping Address:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

My email is cl-adrian@asus.com:

cl-Adrian@ROG wrote:
My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, I would be more than glad to help provide a resolution to this case. Please email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

Thanks Adrian. I've emailed you the information. I also contacted the office of the CEO in North America and they've said they're looking into it too.

cl-Adrian@ROG wrote:

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

I received a reply back from the CEO's office saying the parts department is blaming me for this damage. Absolutely insane. PC was never overclocked, was behind a 1500 VA Pure Sinewave UPS, was powered by a fault-protecting 850w PSU. Nothing else in the PC has any issues. This is 100% absolutely a manufacturing defect. What a joke of a $500 motherboard. My friend who is a master electrician said there's no way that it was something caused by my system. It would have been stopped by the UPS and PSU or there would have been damage to the UPS and PSU. I need ASUS to tell me how I damaged this if they're going to blame me for it cause there's nothing showing me how this happened on behalf of my setup.

Video of the exact same board and capacitor exploding for Linus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLu44pwhV4&t=1259

Other people in this thread, had the same issue with the same motherboard. Fortunately for them, happened within their return windows to Amazon. Also a lot of people are not happy with ASUS and their RMA procedures.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/sy1icn/asus_blaming_this_damage_on_me_not_honoring/

After a 2600+ upvoted post on reddit and a video of Linus having the same exact failure, ASUS is finally doing a "one-time" replacement of this board. Last ASUS product I ever purchase. What a joke.