cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus claims 'oxidation & rust' are my fault - I live in Hawaii

brianvastag
Level 7
Hi - Not sure where to put this post, so I'll try here. Bought a 2021 G14 in June. By October the left-side USB-C port stopped working. I RMA'ed it and sent it in a few weeks ago. The repair shop is claiming 'oxidation & rust' and say that is not covered by warranty. (See photos.) A few issues:

- The damage they sent me photos of does not correspond to the defunct USB-C port
- I live in a seaside town in Hawaii
- We have a 5-year-old Lenovo laptop and a 4-year-old Dell laptop that have been in the same environment for much longer. No problems with either.

Asus is trying to get me to pay $1184 to fix this, even though it is under manufacturer's warranty. I did not see an exclusion for Hawaii in the warranty. Is Asus saying that anyone living near the ocean is out of luck and does not get to enjoy their manufacturer's warranty? Seems shady. Any suggestions? I did dispute their request for me to pay for the repairs but haven't heard back.
3 REPLIES 3

Arno_Boun
Level 8
brianvastag wrote:
Hi - Not sure where to put this post, so I'll try here. Bought a 2021 G14 in June. By October the left-side USB-C port stopped working. I RMA'ed it and sent it in a few weeks ago. The repair shop is claiming 'oxidation & rust' and say that is not covered by warranty. (See photos.) A few issues:

- The damage they sent me photos of does not correspond to the defunct USB-C port
- I live in a seaside town in Hawaii
- We have a 5-year-old Lenovo laptop and a 4-year-old Dell laptop that have been in the same environment for much longer. No problems with either.

Asus is trying to get me to pay $1184 to fix this, even though it is under manufacturer's warranty. I did not see an exclusion for Hawaii in the warranty. Is Asus saying that anyone living near the ocean is out of luck and does not get to enjoy their manufacturer's warranty? Seems shady. Any suggestions? I did dispute their request for me to pay for the repairs but haven't heard back.

Hmmm, that is a strange answer. From what I see, the fan has accumulated dust and just needs some good ol' compressed air. Looking at the first picture, is the red arrow (under the fan connector) pointing at what ASUS considered proof of 'oxidation & rust'? I can't really tell if it's dust or something else.

Perhaps your laptop might not need to go through the RMA process and the problem could be fixed at home. It could be an issue unrelated to hardware. Might need some more background information regarding the USB-C port:

What do you usually connect to the USB-C port?
When did it stop working?
Have you tried connecting another device, as well as trying a different cable?
Under "Device Manager" found in Control Panel, does the USB-C port show up?

In the past, I've also had an issue with my USB-C port not working. Turns out it was just a driver-related issue.

This might be a late reply but hopefully, everything turns out okay for you.

pndiode
Level 11
I agree!

For ASUS products still within the warranty period, it is highly unlikely that oxidation should occur. If any oxidation issues are occurring in a device under warranty, there might be a defect in the current ASUS component manufacturing process (Z690 HERO) or coating materials used to prevent scratches and oxidation (Kindergarten finger paint). Anyway, I own a G752VL with no oxidation or scratches and live on a peninsula, but the manufacturing process might have been done differently during the time your laptop was manufactured.

Do not worry you are not alone! ASUS did not say anything about the scratches near those USB Ports in that attached picture (coating materials).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtQDa2mPRSA

RogDoG1
Level 7

Asus also charging anyone outside the mainland us for any type of repair.. that's why I always get extender warranty with best buy to avoid Horrible company CS as ASUS