cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does living in Hawaii void G14 warranty?

brianvastag
Level 7
Bought a Zephyrus G14 last June. USB-C on left side stopped working within 4 months. RMAed and sent it in. The repair shop is claiming "oxidation & rust" and that I caused it. I never spilled anything on it. I just used it in a regular way in Hawaii, where I live. Asus seems to be claiming that using the laptop in Hawaii voids the warranty. But of course that language is nowhere to be found in the 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

Also, the photos they sent of the 'damage' do not show any damage to the USB-C port that is broken, and that is the reason I sent it in. Basically, they found some oxidation elsewhere on the laptop and used that as an excuse to not cover it under warranty.

We own a 5-year-old Lenovo and 4-year-old Dell laptop and neither has a problem despite operating in the exact same environment for much much longer than the Asus. So I can only conclude that Asus uses substandard parts that begin to corrode the minute they get within 50 miles of an ocean.

What recourse do I have? I disputed that I caused the damage, and the repair shop just sent me another email saying I damaged it. I emailed the CEO on the website. I've used twitter and reddit to warn people away from these corroding laptops.

3 REPLIES 3

AviatorIMC
Level 9
Do not stand for it.

State of Hawaii Attorney General: Holly T. Shikada

State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

https://cca.hawaii.gov/consumer-complaints/: " DCCA promotes a strong and healthy business environment while protecting the community from deceptive and unfair business practices. If you’ve purchased a product, service, or investment that you’re not satisfied with, you can do something about it."

Advise ASUS to repair your computer for the failed part or refund your purchase price. period.

ASUS is headquartered in Taipei. Taipei is an island . . and shares identical island environmental factors with Hawaii. Are their computers suffering premature oxidation? If ASUS confirms that 'oxidation' during the warranty period has rendered your computer dysfunctional - advise them to replace it or refund your purchase price. Period.

AviatorIMC wrote:
Do not stand for it.

State of Hawaii Attorney General: Holly T. Shikada

State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

https://cca.hawaii.gov/consumer-complaints/: " DCCA promotes a strong and healthy business environment while protecting the community from deceptive and unfair business practices. If you’ve purchased a product, service, or investment that you’re not satisfied with, you can do something about it."

Advise ASUS to repair your computer for the failed part or refund your purchase price. period.

ASUS is headquartered in Taipei. Taipei is an island . . and shares identical island environmental factors with Hawaii. Are their computers suffering premature oxidation? If ASUS confirms that 'oxidation' during the warranty period has rendered your computer dysfunctional - advise them to replace it or refund your purchase price. Period.

Thank you so much.

cl-Adrian
Level 8
brianvastag wrote:
Bought a Zephyrus G14 last June. USB-C on left side stopped working within 4 months. RMAed and sent it in. The repair shop is claiming "oxidation & rust" and that I caused it. I never spilled anything on it. I just used it in a regular way in Hawaii, where I live. Asus seems to be claiming that using the laptop in Hawaii voids the warranty. But of course that language is nowhere to be found in the 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

Also, the photos they sent of the 'damage' do not show any damage to the USB-C port that is broken, and that is the reason I sent it in. Basically, they found some oxidation elsewhere on the laptop and used that as an excuse to not cover it under warranty.

We own a 5-year-old Lenovo and 4-year-old Dell laptop and neither has a problem despite operating in the exact same environment for much much longer than the Asus. So I can only conclude that Asus uses substandard parts that begin to corrode the minute they get within 50 miles of an ocean.

What recourse do I have? I disputed that I caused the damage, and the repair shop just sent me another email saying I damaged it. I emailed the CEO on the website. I've used twitter and reddit to warn people away from these corroding laptops.

My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, I would be more than glad to help provide resolution to this case. Please email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Complete Shipping Address:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

My email is cl-adrian@asus.com.: