cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage V Extreme M.2 Drive Support Options "What to buy"

dpoverlord
Level 8
I really need to upgrade my storage and I know this board is finicky with M.2 drives.

Anyone know which are the best choices? I was leaning towards Samsung / WD as I want to get 4TB minimum.

Has anyone tried any of the 4th Generation drives? I know this board wont be able to take advantage of it, but this way I am future proofing when I upgrade (whenever that is).

I currently have
3 850 PRO 2TB SSD
4 WD 12TB SATA drives

I was looking at the:
WD Black SN750 4tb NVME or the SN850

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn750-nvme-ssd#WDS400T3X0C
https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd#WDS200T1XHE $369

The other option was the 980 PRO 2TB which is $150 off at $279
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/980-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-2tb...

Q] I was curious if this board could handle it with the heatsink

Love any input of those who have tried newer m.2 drives, I had a 850 Pro Fail so this is a total Mind F**K and need a new one.
3 REPLIES 3

Powerfull
Level 8
Currently have a Corsair MP600 PRO XT 2TB (with heatsink) running well on this board. It fits with the heatsink because I put my GPU in the second PCIe x16 slot (had to this due to the waterblock on the backside of the GPU which was in the way of the memory slot). The GPU is still running at x16 Gen3 speed.

For info R/W speed of small files are not at all limited by the PCIe 3.0 bandwith.

If you choose one with a big heatsink, make sure it is not in the way of your GPU!
Or choose a low profile heatsink (3mm) which fit under the GPU.
I previously had a Samsung 970 Pro with this heat sink "HCM PRO EVO X V2 with Backplate" which fit under SLI GPUs.
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme (WC loop1 rad 120x3) Bios 4101
CPU: Core i7-6950X (WC loop2 rad 120x9)
MEM: G.Skill Flare X 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz@CAS14/CR1
GPU: ZOTAC Trinity RTX 3090 Watercooled [double side] {PCIE_X16/X8_3 slot} (WC loop3 rad 120x9 + 140x9)
SSD: Corsair MP600 PRO XT 2To SSD M.2 NVMe w/ heatsink
HDD: 4 x 10TB Seagate IronWolf RAID 0 (WC loop1)
PSU: EVGA NEX 1500 1650W + Seasonic Fanless TX-700W
Main Screen: ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ 4K 144Hz G-Sync/FreeSync HDR

Powerfull wrote:
Currently have a Corsair MP600 PRO XT 2TB (with heatsink) running well on this board. It fits with the heatsink because I put my GPU in the second PCIe x16 slot (had to this due to the waterblock on the backside of the GPU which was in the way of the memory slot). The GPU is still running at x16 Gen3 speed.

For info R/W speed of small files are not at all limited by the PCIe 3.0 bandwith.

If you choose one with a big heatsink, make sure it is not in the way of your GPU!
Or choose a low profile heatsink (3mm) which fit under the GPU.
I previously had a Samsung 970 Pro with this heat sink "HCM PRO EVO X V2 with Backplate" which fit under SLI GPUs.

Is there a special settings for this new Gen 4 SSD to work? I got WD_BLACK SN850 2TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe with Heatsink and the BIOS doesn't detect it. I did test this on other mobo brand and the other mobo detects it just fine. Only this mobo doesn't detect it.

Which makes me wonder if there is a special setting I need to change?

In addition, does CPU version matters? I got Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor with 28 lanes so my PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration is disabled, not sure if this matters? My old SSD, Intel SSD 660p Series PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 1TB works fine on this mobo with my current CPU I have, but not the new SSD.

Any ideas?

FarhanAtWork wrote:
Is there a special settings for this new Gen 4 SSD to work? I got WD_BLACK SN850 2TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe with Heatsink and the BIOS doesn't detect it. I did test this on other mobo brand and the other mobo detects it just fine. Only this mobo doesn't detect it.

Which makes me wonder if there is a special setting I need to change?

In addition, does CPU version matters? I got Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor with 28 lanes so my PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration is disabled, not sure if this matters? My old SSD, Intel SSD 660p Series PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 1TB works fine on this mobo with my current CPU I have, but not the new SSD.

Any ideas?

When using 28-Lane CPU, PCIE_X8_4 (3.0) is disabled and the M.2 x4 port should still work fine.

You can try the following in the BIOS, but it should work out of the box:

Advanced Menu -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration -> M.2

Advanced Menu -> System Agent Configuration -> NB PCI-E Configuration -> PCIEX8_4 Link Speed -> Gen3
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme (WC loop1 rad 120x3) Bios 4101
CPU: Core i7-6950X (WC loop2 rad 120x9)
MEM: G.Skill Flare X 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz@CAS14/CR1
GPU: ZOTAC Trinity RTX 3090 Watercooled [double side] {PCIE_X16/X8_3 slot} (WC loop3 rad 120x9 + 140x9)
SSD: Corsair MP600 PRO XT 2To SSD M.2 NVMe w/ heatsink
HDD: 4 x 10TB Seagate IronWolf RAID 0 (WC loop1)
PSU: EVGA NEX 1500 1650W + Seasonic Fanless TX-700W
Main Screen: ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ 4K 144Hz G-Sync/FreeSync HDR