cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A member rejoining the forums! with a Q....

lvloneninja
Level 8
Hey I haven't posted here for about a year or more. But I really do like the community this site provides. I do have a question though. I won a rig at BLIZZCON 2011, and have a question. My CPU fan recently stopped working, and I replaced it, works great! It ruined my windows when the CPU fan was dead though, so I erased everything on my Solid State Drive and reloaded Windows 7 and it works fine. When I open something from downloads there is a quick black screen before the 'run' window appears. I'm not sure if that is something I need to worry about.
The main problem I have, I fear for the worst on my GPU fan. I have a GTX 480 and it's running at 90C idle as well as playing Starcraft 2 (the game i subsequently won the computer). I was wondering if that was a bit high or not. I tried doing research but everything/everyone says something different. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post this on, please correct me for future posts. Thanks guys! Hope to post more. I do want to get into overclocking ASAP.

This is the rig I won from the most generous ROG:

Talon 3.0 Chassis
Silverstone ST1000P Modular 1000w
Asus Rampage III Gene x58 MICROATX
Asetek CPU water cooler X1
Scythe Slip Stream 120-1600RPM fan
Intel Core I7 950 3.06GHz
Crucial 2GB(1x2GB) PC3-10600 1333MHz (12GB)
WD Caviar Black SATA2 WD2001FASS 2.0TB
LG 24x DVD+-RW Black Sata
Windows 7
Recovery DVD license
Custom System REcovery
Falcon Northwest custom portfolio
3.8MM sound absorbing mat

I thank ROG again for this gracious prize!!! Thanks for the help guys!
5 REPLIES 5

lvloneninja
Level 8
TL;DR Should I worry? My GPU GTX 480 is running at 90C, on the rig I won at blizzcon ***2010*** (edit)

I dunno if this is a good fix. But upped the cooling on the GPU to 65%. Does that sound like a good plan?

xeromist
Yes, 90c idle is far too high. There could be an issue with the GPU paste or with the cooler itself. Does the GPU fan still spin quickly? If it's caked with dust then it may be as simple as blasting it with compressed air.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

lvloneninja
Level 8
Hey I think it might be... I did up the percentage of cooling through an nvidia tool from 45% to 65% and the temperate went down to 66 degrees c is that still too high? I'm pretty sure it's caked with dust however because the CPU fan was.

kkn
Level 14
take the finns too, its clogged, blow from inside out ( depends on the card and finns ( and exhaust of the card ) ) or else back side towards inside direction.