cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1304 Bios : Asus tuf gaming z690-plus wifi D4

Oinkerino
Level 7
Hi,

I have a PC custom build (can be seen in my profile) for a brand new i9-12900k I've made assemble 5 weeks ago by a computer shop.

Since then, I have encountered random PC crash even though all drivers and BIOS were up to date. Those would occur without a BSOD and without any information in the event viewer log except for the unexpected shutdown which doesn't help finding the cause.

I have done several things to fix the problem. It was doing good for a 22 days streak since! But then today it crashed twice during the same day in a span of 4 hours without doing anything different than the usual things I do. My computer does run 24/7 and there's an AFK game i play in starcraft 2.

Today I have noticed the 1304 bios was available so I did update it successfully. Since then no crash occured.

I almost puked when it wouldn't boot since and I've never done this before myself...
There was a cpu fan speed error upon boot and I had to look up on the web how to fix this. Since I use an AOI cooler, I found in a forum that I could safely set the CPU FAN to ignore since there was none and my AIO cooler seems to do the job as I am monitoring the CPU temp.

After installation, XMP was disabled and I don't feel like putting it back to 3600 mhz since I suspect it could maybe the cause of my computer crashing.

I got a few questions:
Is it likely for a computer to crash if it runs on XMP 24/7 with a game running?
Can a computer shutdown be related to an older BIOS version? (I was using 1003 before)
Is setting the CPU FAN to ignore in the monitor section of the BIOS safe if you use an AIO cooler?

I really hope the computer doesn't shut down again after that bios update and with the 2133 mhz frequency, otherwise I will have no clue what to do next and Its passed the 30 days base guarantee. and Isolating what is the culprit for those crash seems to be really hard to find, at least for me.

I also did those things before
-power options tweaks (Sleep:Never, Turn of HD after:Never, Disabled fast startup)
-gpu drivers and mb drivers
-windows updates
-memcheck which passed
-all the microsoft sfc scan stuff (irrelevant since I have formatted like 3 times since because I was losing my mind trying to fix the problem)
-installing win10 instead of win11
6 REPLIES 6

lalantha
Level 9
Hi,

if you are now running the PC without crashes, it's probably the XMP. I have the same motherboard and had problems till 1304 bios update. I only could run the system with XMPII on 3500Mhz. But now my system is stable on 3600Mhz on both XMP profiles. Haven't had any issues while heavy gaming. My rams are Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 8GBx2 kit and it's on the memory support list in Asus website.

I am not a pro, but I don't think you'll break anything by enabling XMP except corrupting your windows. Try running on both XMP profiles and see if your PC is stable on one of them. If not, try reducing the bus speed until you get it stable.

lalantha wrote:
Hi,

if you are now running the PC without crashes, it's probably the XMP. I have the same motherboard and had problems till 1304 bios update. I only could run the system with XMPII on 3500Mhz. But now my system is stable on 3600Mhz on both XMP profiles. Haven't had any issues while heavy gaming. My rams are Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 8GBx2 kit and it's on the memory support list in Asus website.

I am not a pro, but I don't think you'll break anything by enabling XMP except corrupting your windows. Try running on both XMP profiles and see if your PC is stable on one of them. If not, try reducing the bus speed until you get it stable.

Hi, it's difficult to say if it's stable yet since my computer could be stable for multiple days and then crash, I updated the bios yesterday, I will be convinced it's stable if it doesn't shutdown within the next 45 days. If it's still stable for that amount of days, I'll try enabling XMP back.

ahfoo
Level 13
I am running the this set up too both with 1200K and 12900 non K. Running with Corsair PRO SL 3600 DDR 4 RAM with XMP, both XMP mode (XMP1 or 2). So far for 24/7 for three weeks with no reboot, BSOD. With K version I am running windows 10 PRO and NON K running windows 11 PRO. Both system running the same hardware setup only windows version are different.

Maybe you can be more specific to provide system specification for others to help you to isolate problems.

ahfoo wrote:
I am running the this set up too both with 1200K and 12900 non K. Running with Corsair PRO SL 3600 DDR 4 RAM with XMP, both XMP mode (XMP1 or 2). So far for 24/7 for three weeks with no reboot, BSOD. With K version I am running windows 10 PRO and NON K running windows 11 PRO. Both system running the same hardware setup only windows version are different.

Maybe you can be more specific to provide system specification for others to help you to isolate problems.

Hi, my system specification is linked in my profile.

ahfoo
Level 13
I beg the different If I am in your situation. I will head straight to XMP and let it run for couple of days rather 45 days, which I feel it far to long . That my personal opinion.

1 build with i7 12700K & 1 with i512600K. 1 with 16Gb Patriot Viper Steel 3600 XMP 2.0 & 1 with 32GB same memory. I run both XMP 1 at 3600 no issues since day 1 FYI. I'm not an overclocker so can't comment on any effect that might have. 2 sticks of Ram in both builds.