cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when updating BIOS on p9x79: 4 GB missing

techvslife
Level 7
updated to 1009 BIOS. Memory configuration: 64GB RAM: 8GB x 8 (Mushkin 1333 MHz, 1.5 V, Part No. 994018).

Updated the p9x79 (deluxe) BIOS today to the latest (3/27/2012) release, 1009 BIOS. Updated ok, but reboot failed (did not get to splash screen or any screen). I noticed the DRAM led light on and code 69 on the motherboard. I hit the memok! button, and then reboot succeeded. However, the BIOS screen shows "ABNORMAL!" for dimm_d1 (and dimm_d1 only). I'm suspicious because that error did not show with the previous BIOS and because my own memory tests show everything is ok. I tried reseating the D1 dimm, but I get the same error.

Question 1: Is it possible that something in the new BIOS triggers a spurious error, and should I change the dram timing section from the default to correct it (or should I change any other bios setting)?

Question 2: I show 60GB of memory in memory testing now and in windows, I think that was 64GB before. The bios boot screen shows 61440MB now--I would have expected 65536 MB of course (8192x8). Is the motherboard sealing off access to 4 GB (half of a dimm)? It seems like it could be some sort of programming error.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
What was the reason for updating your bios? What I am asking is what problem were you trying to resolve?

Q1 What was your dram timing before and during the bios flash? Yes set the timing to the XPD of your kits.
Q2 It seems that you have lost one side of a double sided stick of ram.

When you did your memtest did you notice on one of the sticks of ram that it only showed 4GB?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

There had been no problem--just updating bios to latest official release. What is xpd? I don't believe my memory is "XPD." The timing matches what is official for that memory, 9-9-9-24 at 1333 MHz (Mushkin part no. 994018). Looks like this new bios must do something different, but not sure what setting to change. Of course I'll try replacing that dimm but it seems suspicious it went bad only after the bios update.

memtest shows 60GB not 64GB. doesn't show stick by stick.
cpu-z shows only 61418 MB and even more oddly shows only 5 slots filled in spd, not 8:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2333107

all the timings are the same, except for rtl/iol, where i get this:
(don't know what this means, but since the problem is dimm D1, I notice Channel D is the only one with the same timings for both sets of dimms)
chA: 37-5-35-3, 35-3-35-3
chB: 35-4-35-4, 35-5-35-5
chC: 37-6-35-4, 35-4-35-4
chD: 35-5-35-5, 35-5-35-5

btw, one very annoying side effect of using memok is that it deraids your intel system drive, so you have to rebuild it from scratch all over again. I recommend disconnecting sata raid before doing any bios updates, and then making sure you change from ahci to raid in the bios before connecting them again.
(also: why doesn't asus update the intel orom when they update the bios file--we're still at intel orom 3.0.0.1184, an old orom.)

HiVizMan wrote:
What was the reason for updating your bios? What I am asking is what problem were you trying to resolve?

Q1 What was your dram timing before and during the bios flash? Yes set the timing to the XPD of your kits.
Q2 It seems that you have lost one side of a double sided stick of ram.

When you did your memtest did you notice on one of the sticks of ram that it only showed 4GB?

ok, I moved the dimm from the d1 slot to the c1 slot, and the "abnormal" rating in the BIOS also moved from dimm_d1 to dimm_c1.
at least I know it's not the motherboard. It's odd a bios update alone would fail a dimm that was working fine before, but I'll rma that dimm and see what happens. even if I changed a setting in the bios to give that dimm some custom timing, I'd still have doubts about it.

p.s. it's a good thing there is that memok button.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks for the update and forgive my lapse of concentration I meant to say XMP profile but as I am busy putting together a KOVE XPD system (my first) I have mitigating cause. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

techvslife
Level 7
It's a real crisis: the world will soon run out of unused acronyms that begin with X.

techvslife wrote:
It's a real crisis: the world will soon run out of unused acronyms that begin with X.

haha 😛

Man that is so true. Guess that explains why Z is getting so popular.