cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIO Cooler + BIOS Update question

Oinkerino
Level 7
Hi, I recently updated my bios to 1304 (tuf gaming z690-plus wifi d4) and I am also using an AIO cooler.

I never mess with the BIOS usually and it's a scary place for me. But I had to since my computer would no longer boot after I updated it.
I was getting the "CPU fan speed error detection" message so I went in the monitor section of the CPU Fan to set it on ignore.

My question is the following:
After a BIOS update when you have an AIO cooler, is there anything else important to do than ignoring the CPU Fan monitoring?

My AIO cooler is plugged with 3 pins in the AIO Pump of the motherboard. The current setting in the bios is AUTO-DETECT.
Should I change it to DC 3-pin or leave it as AUTO-DETECT?

Also, should the AIO stop working, will I be alerted upon boot to protect my CPU that there's a problem with the AIO cooler?

I really don't want to jeopardize this i9-12900k with a rookie mistake.
4 REPLIES 4

Drayco31
Level 11
I'd change it to DC. Don't have to on mine but I do have my case fans plugged in case fan hub that plugs into a motherboard header. If left on Autodetect it screws with fans and they run pretty close to max speed all the time. Changing to DC fixes that.

I wouldn't disable it myself as I'd be concerned as you are. Rather find out why and solve that.

Aio pump on pump header. If the CPU fan is causing issues try switching a different fan to that header and the CPU fan onto a different header. Then have them use the same profile. That way they'll both be behaving the same

I would recommend going to the ASUS site and download the BIOS guide. Lots of good info. there. It is located under the Manual & Document section.

quickster2 wrote:
I would recommend going to the ASUS site and download the BIOS guide. Lots of good info. there. It is located under the Manual & Document section.

I asked directly in ASUS chat support and they said setting setting the CPU FAN monitoring to ignore is the way to go.
I also went to the shop who assembled the computer and they've said the same thing, thats how they made the build originally.

Also interesting to notice that the technician at the shop said I should leave it to auto-dected instead of choosing DC mode. That one I'm not so sure but I'll trust them and leave it that way.

Ok so another follow up on this. I have posted in corsairs forum about my issue and got a complete different answer from them.

They said that the AIO Pump header is intended for use with AIOs that pull power from the fan headers and need a constant 12v and that my AIO is provided power through the cable that goes to the Commander Core which is plugged into a SATA power cable from my PSU.

Their 7000x case do come with a Commander Core (I also use corsair for my PSU and RAM) and an Asus motherboard.

So they told me to plug the tachometer cable in the CPU_FAN header instead of the AIO PUMP header. I then went back in the BIOS and reenabled the monitoring for the CPU FAN. I can boot and there's now a safety on the BIOS level should my Pump fail.

The low speed limit by default for warnings is set to 200 RPM, I wonder if I should raise this higher (600 is max I think)