cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't boot new rig with Rampage Extreme IV Mobo,

rjbmd
Level 7
I haven't been able to get my new build with Rampage Extreme IV Mobo, an EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB GDDR, and 32 Gb of Corsair Vengeance (4x8), and Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme proc.

I keep getting a debug code AF. At first I am able to get into the bios setup screen for a little while before it shuts down. Then on subsequent boots, it shuts down more and more quickly until it only starts for a few seconds and shuts down. If I wait an hour or so, I can again get into the bios setup screen, and the whole process repeats itself. I have tried clearing the CMOS and pressing the Q reset button, but doesn't help.

I am guessing that I need to flash the bios with the latest update, but I don't know how to do that without having the setup screen in a stable condition. I have heard that it can be flashed with a USB thumb drive without having a view on the monitor.

Please help.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello to you

Your ram that you are using is that one kit or 32GB made up of a couple of kits. I did not know that there was a 32GB kit of Vengence yet?

Could you try booting your system with just one kit of ram. And that way you should have no problem getting into OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello to you

Your ram that you are using is that one kit or 32GB made up of a couple of kits. I did not know that there was a 32GB kit of Vengence yet?

Could you try booting your system with just one kit of ram. And that way you should have no problem getting into OS.

There is a 32 Gb kit of Corsair Vengence, which I got from TigerDirect (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=10&sel=Mfr%3BMfr_1499). I have already tried booting with each of the RAM sticks individually, and the problem is identical, no matter which of the sticks I use.

I have also tried to flash the bios, but without success, using the ROG Connect function. I am stuck right now using the old bios version 1101. Any ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just goes to show you learn something new every day. Cheers for that.

OK to your problem - your bios is just fine. But if you do want to update then you can do a blind bios flash if you like. Before you do have you tried the B bios yet? Push the red button bottom left hand corner when your system is in standby and you will notice a yellow led 'shift' about 2 inches. See how that goes please.

Quite safe - Have a look here this is how to do it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack&country=&status=

I will check back in the monring but I am sure you will be sorted by then.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Just goes to show you learn something new every day. Cheers for that.

OK to your problem - your bios is just fine. But if you do want to update then you can do a blind bios flash if you like. Before you do have you tried the B bios yet? Push the red button bottom left hand corner when your system is in standby and you will notice a yellow led 'shift' about 2 inches. See how that goes please.

Quite safe - Have a look here this is how to do it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack&country=&status=

I will check back in the monring but I am sure you will be sorted by then.

Yes, I had already tried both bios on the board. Tonight, I did a blind flash of the bios. Same problem persists. I happened to check the temperature monitors, and the CPU temp was 80 C. That sounds too high to me. Could that be the reason this is happening?

I am using a Corsair H100 liquid cooler, but the 2 x 120mm fans that came with the radiator for that cooler wouldn't fit inside the case because of the mobo. The 8-pin power connector got in the way. So I installed the fans on the outside of the case blowing outside air into the case across the radiator instead. I don't see why it wouldn't be working.

Retired
Not applicable
rjbmd wrote:
. At first I am able to get into the bios setup screen for a little while before it shuts down. Then on subsequent boots, it shuts down more and more quickly until it only starts for a few seconds and shuts down. If I wait an hour or so,

Please help.

It's your cpu_cooling..

cpu_overheated..........

Would like to see some pics of your setup.. And how u have connected the stuff..

grottslampan wrote:
It's your cpu_cooling..

cpu_overheated..........

Would like to see some pics of your setup.. And how u have connected the stuff..

I think I discovered he problem. There is a 4-pin EATX 12-volt power connector that I haven't connected to the power supply. There is no 4-pin ATX Power supply plug supplied with the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 Power supply that I am using. I'm probably going to have to switch out the power supply. I'm not sure how that would affect the CPU overheating, but I will probably use a different cooler too. It amazes me that there was no room for the Corsair H-100 liquid cooling fans, since I am using the huge Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra tower. I will try to send a picture tomorrow evening.