cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help/Recommendations For New Build

PissOnApple
Level 7
Hello all,

I'm new on here, I'm looking for some suggestions and a couple answers to some questions.
This is my first build so please pardon any idiocy.

The build is as follows:
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X

MoBo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme (hopefully you guys can put my mind at ease, it got very poor reviews on NewEgg)

CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3930K (I'm debating on waiting on Ivy Bridge, but heard it's not worth it on the desktop side so any input there would be appreciated as well)

CPU Cooling: Corsair H100

GPU: 2 EVGA 02G-P4-2689-KR GeForce GTX 680 Hydro Copper 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 (I see that a cooling system is required, any recommendations on that, maybe I need to rethink the whole cooling system itself)

HDD: I will have a SSD for OS/OS's, another drive for installs, and another for storage and backups

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200W

RAM: And here is my question, can I run 2400 memory with the Rampage or do I need 2133 or 1866? I'm looking at G.Skills 16GB something or other

This is going to be a decent chunk of change so before I drop it I want to make sure that everything is going to work properly together, lifespan will be decent and that I do not encounter any major expensive problems along the way.

Any better solutions or products to recommend are welcome as I am not dead set on these.

I look forward to your replies and please do not hesitate to point out any problems or This-Is-What-I-Would-Do's!!

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

WHO_FARTED_
Level 10
first off, if your getting h2o gpu's, then you should reconsider the h100. its a sealed unit and it wont do both cpu and gpu. it's not hard to build a water setup and theres people here to help with that if you need it. i dont know if you'll need 2 video's cards (if its for gaming)but it's your money.

second be sure your psu has the correct connectors to suit your motherboard.

third, ivy bridge wont be a bad option if you want to save some money.

fourth, in some cases higher speed memory doesnt mean better performance. a good 1600 with a xmp should safice most for gaming.

Yeah, I'll be honest. I pulled the PSU and GPU out of my ass. I had the post typed up once and it had logged me out and my auto save ended with the H100, irritated, my reiteration was not as of much quality as my first.

You bring a valid point up on the memory. So, Thanks for that!
And as for the GPU's it comes back to my frustration and irritation and I did not feel like redoing it again, apologies on that matter.

Reasoning of 2 is I enjoy my multiple monitors, can I get away with one or no? But you are correct, it is for gaming...

I know that first post probably came off as "I'm the arrogant little **** that wants the latest and greatest, top shelf stuff"

It's simply that this is my first build, and I want to do a lot with it because I actually have some spending money to do it. Being a broke ass college student gets old, case in point, I have a old Dell desktop sitting on a AMD dual core at about 2.2 GHz and a upgraded ATI 1600 (yes I said upgraded) video card, with upgraded 4GB ram...I get out performed by low end laptops, my little gerbils just can't run fast enough 😄

I'm probably the most Ignorant IT professional you'll ever meet, not saying I'm not intelligent or I don't know my stuff, I just don't have time to keep up with specs and acronyms and new features. Can't be great at everything or know everything.

All that jazz aside... Have you worked with the Rampage IV at all?

kkn
Level 14
try whit one 680 first and see how it will work for you, they are expensive i guess ( dono what they cost your way ).
and i would drop the H100 since your gona do wc on the vid card.
mabye do a 240 or a 360 rad in the top ( inside ).
hdd try ssd for os and game and hdd for storage ( cheeper per gb then ssd ( my opinnion ) )
and im whit "who_farted?" on the memmory.
i recomend a reservoar that "block" the air from going to the highest point in the waterloop ( witch is the radiator ) and that way you will reduse the cooling.
mabye do a push/pull on the rad?
go over and watch some of the builds in this link : http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?40-Case-Modding-amp-PC-Build-Pics
mabye you can get an idea on how you can set up yours? ( not thinking of modding out the case and so on ) but for an insight of how it can be done in the watercooling way 🙂

Yes one other thing I forgot to correct was the HDD section, to be clear, SSD drive for OS, HDD for games and storage.
I will definitely consider RAIDing 2 SSDs for OS and games. Thanks for that input!
And the H100 can be assumed gone unless I tune down the GPU...
I'll have to do a little more digging as I am not too familiar with WC and push/pull did cross my mind.
Thanks for the input and I'll definitely check that link out!

WHO_FARTED_
Level 10
an ssd raid config isnt going to be a big improvement over a single ssd. if it were me you consider cloning the drive incase one goes out. which sometimes happens. we are talking maybe 4 seconds faster on start up with raid0 if your lucky.

This is all a big learning experience for me, as I have never worked with a lot of these technologies (SSDs, WC, big GPUs, high grade MoBo's and extensive RAM applications). So thank you for all your help and input!

Never ever leave because its just that great or because its a complete hassle and mess? Lol

Lol great, I'll be broke for months.

And the EVGA is definitely pretty slick and something to consider, even if it is a tad pricey.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Best game set up I would wait for ivy.

ASUS ROG Ivy board.
Ivy CPU 3570K
2 x 120GB SSD Raid 1
680 or 7970 (both are really good)
8GB DDR3 2133MHz ram.
Any hard drive for storage

The water cooling I will leave for others. As that is a slippery slope that once you get on you never ever leave. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.