cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G533ZW - fps drop - stutterings

Cojokek
Level 8
Hello, everyone!

I own a ROG Strix Scar 15, 2022 laptop with i9-12900H and RTX 3070 Ti. The model is G533ZW, to be exact. Besides high CPU temperatures, there are a lot of fps drops in all games and audio micro stutterings.
I know this is a persisting problem with the new series. I saw a lot of comments on various e-commerce websites where people (who mostly returned the laptop) complained about this behavior. There are even people complaining about this problem on this forum, but they don't get an official answear.

I already tried various modes and settings in Armoury Crate. Drivers and BIOS are up to date. I tried ThrottleStop (even though the voltage settings are blocked). I tried disabling E Cores, I tried everything.. And it is way worse after the ArmouryCrate.ThrottleGearMergeModule update from last week.

Is ASUS aware of these problems?
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi Cojokek

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I don't own a laptop but for a laptop, you have to admit that is some beefy specs.

How is room temperature?

Have you considered a laptop cooler?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Cojokek

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I don't own a laptop but for a laptop, you have to admit that is some beefy specs.

How is room temperature?

Have you considered a laptop cooler?

I am already using a really good cooler, and the room temperature is about 19-20 degree Celsius.

Nate152
The stuttering and low FPS is likely due to either the 12900H cpu or 3070 ti thermal throttling or both.

To get a better idea of temperatures, could you do this for me?

Install HWinfo and click on the Sensors tab, this will bring up all information about your laptop, including clock speeds, voltages, and temperatures.

Under Installer in Bright Green click Free Download, then Local U.S.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Once you have it installed and opened on the Sensors tab, play a game until it starts throttling. Exit the game and make HWinfo full screen, take a screenshot and post it for us. At the top, make sure we can see the maximum values of all readings.

This will give us a better idea of what's going on.

Click the picture to make it bigger

Nate152 wrote:
The stuttering and low FPS is likely due to either the 12900H cpu or 3070 ti thermal throttling or both.

To get a better idea of temperatures, could you do this for me?

Install HWinfo and click on the Sensors tab, this will bring up all information about your laptop, including clock speeds, voltages, and temperatures.

Under Installer in Bright Green click Free Download, then Local U.S.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Once you have it installed and opened on the Sensors tab, play a game until it starts throttling. Exit the game and make HWinfo full screen, take a screenshot and post it for us. At the top, make sure we can see the maximum values of all readings.

This will give us a better idea of what's going on.

Click the picture to make it bigger

Here you go. I took this print screen immediately after a big fps drop. Those fps drops are more like occasional, but annoying, freezes (~0.5 sec)

Nate152
Thank you, this helps tremendously.

What this shows is the i9-12900H is thermal throttling due to high temperature, the 3070 Ti temperature looks good with a maximum of 76c.

When the cpu temperature hits 90c, that's when thermal throttling starts.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you, this helps tremendously.

What this shows is the i9-12900H is thermal throttling due to high temperature, the 3070 Ti temperature looks good with a maximum of 76c.

When the cpu temperature hits 90c, that's when thermal throttling starts.

And what's the solution? Is the Asus working on a new BIOS version or something?
I already tried manual mode with fans 100%, and I have better temps, but the same fps drops.

Nate152
Is it still thermal throttling with the fans at 100%?

Show us a screenshot with the fans at 100% after playing a game.

Before doing so, reset HWinfo by clicking the clock on the bottom right.

Nate152 wrote:
Is it still thermal throttling with the fans at 100%?

Show us a screenshot with the fans at 100% after playing a game.

Before doing so, reset HWinfo by clicking the clock on the bottom right.

This is, again, right after a big fps drop. Fans were set to 100% at >=75 degree Celsius, everything below was set to 95%. For both GPU and CPU.
It seems like a problem that occur after some playing time, rather than a problem caused only by big temperatures. :rolleyes: :mad:

Nate152
Thank you,

This actually looks pretty good.

With the fans at 100% we can see the cpu is no longer thermal throttling, although the cpu package temp is at 88c, this is considered ok by Intel.

So we can now look elsewhere for the cause of the fps drop.

Let's start with what game you're playing, what resolution you're playing at and is ray tracing turned on?