cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-E Gaming Wifi - Hyper M.2 Card Strangeness

pittfurg
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I'm really struggling with my Hyper M.2 card that came bundled with my ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI board. First, let's get the system stats out of the way:

ROG STRIX Z690-E Gaming Wifi
Intel 12900K (No O.C.)
32 GB G.SKILL DDR504800 (@6000)
ASUS ROG STRIX 3090 (BIOS 1403)

In my setup, here is my current storage configuration:
M.2_2: SAMSUNG 970 PRO 512 GB
M.2_3: SAMSUNG 960 EVO 500 GB
Hyper M.2_1: WD BLACK SN850 500 GB
Hyper M.2_2: WD BLACK SN850 500 GB

So here's the issue: if my computer is shut down (warm or cold), the drive in Hyper M.2_2 either "disappears" from Windows 11, or, the drive will show up but will be "inaccessible." A reboot fixes either of these issues.

Also interesting: when attempting to setup RAID 0 on the two WD BLACK drivers on the card... it works... until it doesn't. It's very flaky and I was seeing very strange errors on my system; I have gone back to disabling the RST setup and instead using them as discrete drives and my current system works (provided I reboot every time I start my PC each morning).

So my question is... why? A couple other points I was investigating:

1. Is this tied to Resizable BAR? Turning that off seemed to alleviate the issue, but: this might be a red herring if a reboot fixes my issue anyways.
2. For PCI bifurcation (which is what I assume this card needs) I have the PCIEX16(G4) setting in BIOS set to Dual M.2 SSD. The card is in bottom-most slot on my motherboard, with a USB addon card (for more USB ports) in PCIEX1(G3)

Are there other settings I should be looking at here to make this work?

Any advice or guidance is appreciated as though while this "works" I wouldn't call it ideal.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

RogScott
Level 12
I had a very similar (if not identical) issue with my HyperM.2 Card and z690-E Gaming Wifi. I populated the HyperM.2 with two Samsung 980 Pro 1tb drives.

In my case, after a "cold" boot (i.e., boot from complete power off), the drives would both function normally. But from a "warm" boot (i.e., restart from Windows), the drive in Hyper M.2_2 would not be detected. This was 100% repeatable: Cold boot both drives fine, Warm boot only HyperM.2_1 showed up and HyperM.2_2 was not detected. I swapped the drives, and it was still HyperM.2_2 that didn't show up after warm boot.

There are some other threads (this isn't all of them) that mentions similar issues:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128660-Z690-Maximus-Hero-Issues-with-drivers-and-RoG-Hyper...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128135-1003-default-doesn-t-recognize-the-2-SSD-on-Z690-hy...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128328-The-hyper-m-2-card-of-z690-hero-still-can-t-work-pr...

Post #6 in one of those threads mentions a "fix" related to disabling ASM1061 ASPM. That didn't do anything for me, and it seems odd that it would since that's for the ASMedia Sata Controller, and doesn't seem related to nvme/M.2 drives.

HyperM.2 Card in bottom slot with bios set for "dual M.2 ssd" is correct.

I never had Resizeable Bar enabled, so it isn't related to that.

I suspect it is simply a bios bug and our only hope is ASUS eventually releases a fix. I started with 1003 and had the issue, then later upgraded to 1304 and still had it. Tried a variety of other settings (mostly related to ASPM / PCIE Power Management) but was unable to find anything that solved it.

I eventually gave up on HyperM.2_2 and moved that drive to motherboard M.2_3. So I now have (3) M.2 drives active: Samsung 980 Pro 2tb in M.2_2 (system drive), and 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1tb in M.2_3 and HyperM.2_1. The HyperM.2_2 is empty. I don't think I ever tested with 1403, but did see another post indicating the problem still exists in it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

Thanks for the reply!

I notice that we have the exact OPPOSITE scenario; cold boots for you are warm boots for me, and vice-versa. That's way too on the nose to be a coincidence, right?

I too saw those threads and tried that setting, and no joy here. Resize bar doesn't appear to be related either, but it was a setting I was playing with.

I have four drives so even if I go back to the Gen5 port (and force my card back to X8 instead of X16), I'm still short 500GB 😞

I hope we see a fix or something. I'm going to try disabling fast boot on my PC to see if that helps next.

UPDATE: Disabling Fast Boot did not solve this issue. Back to the drawing board...

UPDATE #2: I tried manually defining the PCI Gen (4) of the two SSDs I have in the card. So far... that worked... but I need to test more to see if that was truly the fix. I also cold-booted right into BIOS and verified that all 4 of my drive (2 on the card, two on the motherboard) showed up and they had. I'll continue to test.

pittfurg wrote:
UPDATE #2: I tried manually defining the PCI Gen (4) of the two SSDs I have in the card. So far... that worked... but I need to test more to see if that was truly the fix. I also cold-booted right into BIOS and verified that all 4 of my drive (2 on the card, two on the motherboard) showed up and they had. I'll continue to test.

Would be great if that solves the problem... Please do report back after more testing! I'd really like to move the drive I have in M.2_3 back to HyperM.2_2, as it ran much cooler there (the HyperM.2 card has a terrific heatsink!).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi RogScott,
Is the drive in Hyper M.2_2 not detected after warm boot on bios 1403 wit bios default settings?
Thank you.

Alright more updates... and frankly, it's good news/bad news.

To recap: if you look at my first post, I state that I have the two WD drives in the HYPER M.2 card, and my trusty 860 EV0 AND 970 PRO in the non-PCIE 5.0 slot. After messing with the configuration some more, it wasn't helping; any time I warm booted (not restarted) or cold booted the system (via unplugging it) the drives will both not show; one will be either missing or "unreadable" by the OS. However, a reboot fixes this... or, if I manually enter BIOS on a cold/warm boot, it works.

At that point, I had a decision to make: after reading up on the WD drives I decided that perhaps this was firmware related (the drive had issues on X570 boards, not applicable here, but I found that interesting). I decided to cut my losses, and I returned the drives to MicroCenter and came home with two SAMSUNG 980 PROs (same capacity; 500GB).

I then rearranged the drives in my setup:

Hyper M.2_1:: SAMSUNG 960 EVO 500 GB
Hyper M.2_2: SAMSUNG 970 PRO 512 GB
M.2_2: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 512 GB
M.2_3: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 512 GB

And... now I'm not having issues; cold boots, warm boots, restarts... all drives are showing up and are accessible.

So that leads me to a couple interesting conclusions:

1. The HyperM2 Card is very picky about what drives it will accept?
2. Whatever my issue was, it seemed to be tied to some kind of (lack of?) latency on boot; perhaps the system wasn't given enough time to recognize the drive(s)?
3. I can't fully rule out setting the PCIE speeds as described in the above post; I have not turned that back to "AUTO" since I've had this working (letting a sleeping dog lie for now)

I do still want to attempt to RAID 0 the two new drives, but I'm going to wait this out to make sure it remains stable.

For those reading this thread, it would be interesting to hear which drives you're currently experiencing issues with. Perhaps this is a controller-based issue on the drive itself?

EDIT: Also, worth mentioning: as of this (updated) post, both of my drives (the WD and SAMSUNG) are listed on the QVL for this board.

@pittfurg - I have seen other threads referring to "disappearing drive" problems with the WD SN850. I didn't follow them closely so not sure which bios/etc or any resolutions since I don't have that drive, and I don't think those reports involved the 690-E or HyperM.2 card. But maybe the WD SN850's (or certain firmware versions on them) are just really sensitive?

@STARRAIN@ROG - I originally experienced HyperM.2_2 disappearing on bios 1304. I thought I had re-tested with 1403, but after your post I checked my build/test notes and saw that I had not tested this after flashing 1403. I had seen another report from someone with the same issue who said 1403 did not fix the issue and accepted that as true.

So, I reconfigured the system by moving the Samsung 980 Pro 1tb from M.2_3 back into HyperM.2_2, alongside the other Samsung 980 Pro 1tb in HyperM.2_1. This is the configuration where I experienced problems before. I then performed multiple iterations of testing (6) different scenarios:

1) After Windows 11 shutdown, complete power off (power supply OFF). Power on and boot to Win11.
1a) Enter bios during boot, check whether drives are visible in bios, exit and let boot continue to Win11.
1b) Allow normal boot progress without entering bios.

2) After Windows 11 shutdown, power supply still ON. Start system and boot to Win11.
2a) Enter bios during boot, check whether drives are visible in bios, exit and let boot continue to Win11.
2b) Allow normal boot progress without entering bios.

3) After Windows 11 "Restart."
3a) Enter bios during boot, check whether drives are visible in bios, exit and let boot continue to Win11.
3b) Allow normal boot progress without entering bios.

When I was using bios 1304, scenarios 1a, 2a, 3a, and 3b FAILED. The HyperM.2_2 drive was not detected in Windows 11, even though it was visible in bios (1a, 2a, 3a).

Now with bios 1403, all six scenarios SUCCEED. Both HyperM.2 drives are consistently detected in bios and Win11. (Note - Above testing was not with "optimized defaults". I did reset to optimized defaults immediately after flashing 1403, but subsequently made changes and did NOT revert to defaults for the above tests. Changes include disabling PCI Express Native Power Management, Setting Graphics Primary PEG and Multi-GPU disabled, Disabling Wifi and Bluetooth, Disabling Fast Boot, and setting Q-Fan configs).

So... My conclusion now is that the problem I experienced with HyperM.2_2 not being detected by Win11 has been fixed by bios 1403. Thank you for prompting me to reconfigure and test again!

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi pittfurg and RogScott,
Thank you for your update.
Hope everything's going well with you.