cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems upgrading G53SX to 16GB RAM

nagromo
Level 7
I bought 2x4GB of Kingston 1333MHz PC3-10600 CAS 9-9-9-24 and installed it in my G53SX, and now I'm getting errors in MemTest86+. (MemTest86+ reports the timings as 9-9-9-24 as expected.)

The system came with 2x4GB Hynix 1333MHz DDR3 populated in the hidden RAM slot and one of the two slots on the bottom of the laptop.

I first populated the Kingston RAM in the two empty slots: the one beneath the keyboard and the other slot on the bottom of the computer. After I had stability problems, I ran MemTest86+ and got 6 errors in a complete pass. I also put the two Kingston sticks in the two slots on the back of the computer and the two Hynix sticks in the hidden slot and the slot below the keyboard and still had MemTest86+ errors.

With all 16GB installed, I get MemTest86+ errors. With 12GB installed, with the Hynix in the hidden slot and the slot under the keyboard and either Kingston stick in the slots on the bottom of the computer, it passes at least 1 pass of MemTest86+ (I was trying different combinations and didn't keep it running longer).

I'm confident that the RAM is good because with only one Kingston stick installed, it passes MemTest86+ with either Kingston stick.

Which slots should have the paired RAM sticks for reliable operation? Is there anything else I should try to get the RAM stable?

Also, is there a better way of naming/numbering the slots 0,1,2,3 or A0,A1,B0,B1? MemTest86+ changes which slot number is which physical position based on how many are populated, so I can't rely on that.
4 REPLIES 4

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Unfortunately, the two kinds of RAM might just be incompatible. Even though all the specs can be exactly the same, it's always a risk to mix different RAM from different manufacturers. I think your best bet is to return the Kingston RAM and try another kind. Worst case scenario....but it is a possibility....is that you'll need to buy four identical 4Gb modules to ensure compatibility and stability. (If you can find the exact same Hynix modules, you could buy two more. That should work.)

fostert
Level 12
This malady is common when mixing pairs of supposedly identical spec sticks from different manufacturers. While its hit and miss really, sometimes they simply do not work stably together. Agreed with Brody: return the Kingstons and go to ebay and find someone selling the exact same Hynix model # sticks you have. My G74 came with 2x4GB=8GB of Samsungs, and I initially went up to 16GB without a hitch by getting two more exact sticks. Then when I went to 32GB I just bought 4 identical Corsair 8GB sticks. Interestingly with2x8GB of the Corsairs and 2x4GB of the Samsungs (for a total of 24GB in the G74) they worked perfectly well together. As I say, hit and miss.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

OK, thanks. I just assumed it should work because on my desktop I have 2x 1GB sticks and 2x 2GB sticks without problems, but I guess that was the 'hit' part of hit-and-miss.

Do you see a problem with sticking with only 12GB RAM, using the two Hynix sticks and one of the Kingston sticks? This configuration passes MemTest86+; I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should look out for.

fostert
Level 12
Since the IMC of the core i7 CPUs is dual-channel, that means memory should be installed in pairs. If its not it will work in single channel, and your bandwidth will suffer. Check the bandwidth (MB/s) as reported by memtest86+ with 12 GB installed, and the with a proper pair (2x4GB) installed: it may be dramatically different. If its large I'd stick with 8GB unless you expect to run things that spill over into 12GB of RAM often.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40