cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel card issues

Contact
Level 7
My setup is a R6E and an amd with a c100c in it. When I first got the R6E I didn't notice to many drops from websites and such but I did notice what I found out later to be a firmware problem with the soldered nic.

R6E windows driver updated from 2.2.2.0 to 6.1.3 just fine on the Driver. As near as I can tell they are outdated and don't really matter. The R6E firmware for the card is 1.5.58. 1.5.58 was drooping every time I start up the R6E mobo. The R6E has a problem with the lan controller. Ideally I need to get Firmware 3.1.121 on that card and get it functioning. I fixed the resetting by unticking allow the computer to turn off to save power.

The C100C would update to 2.2.2.0 on the driver. And it would not flash the firmware higher than 3.1.88. This is supposed to be 3.1.121a from the marvel website FW. I need to know how to flash this.

Even though I got the card to stop resetting on startup the card still isn't responding very well almost like the card is laggy on the upstream. When the card is doing this I notice an inherent lag in game. This is because the Firmware on the card has no update available from asus. It needs something higher than 1.5.58 to update to 3.1.121.

I am hoping what is going on with me is not isp related. I have been dealing with this for years with no resolution. I believe I even saw the posts before today but the fix is to complex and there was no way for me to deal with it.

I tried things with my C100C which is currently going through RMA thankfully they are sending me a fresh one. I had no idea that my firmware was out of date and that the firmware on the website for the c100c and the driver was 2.2.2.0 and that was out of date as far as the most stable is 2.2.3.0. When I had the c100c I knew about the marvel website but did no such thing with trying to flash marvells firmware onto this.

I have posted elsewhere on the forums. From what I can understand this was a problem with the AQN 107 cards (I don't know if the nic on the R6E board is a AQN 107). Namely a problem with updating that people have found a workaround for that I cannot seem to get to work. When asus started shipping these boards there was a problem with updating the drive and more importantly the firmware out in the wild. They literally stopped. There was an update on marvels site literally a month after they stopped supporting this product. The other key factor is they are installed like most old network cards. You install the windows software (driver) and you flash the network card. I cannot get the network card flashed on my R6E. That is the problem I don't know what to do for the second part for flashing the card. I also may not have the right patch for the windows driver part either (3.1.6 off the marvel site). There might be something more recent for the onboard 10g marvel.

My R6E is full on missing it's controller and instead of just complaining about that I visited the forum posts below and tried to run through the fixes. I can get the windows update to take (3.1.6 driver) but cannot get the firmware to flash on the marvel flash utility. That firmware is hard locked at 1.5.58 on the network card. I heard somewhere that you need to have version 2.0 or later to update further I have no idea how to do this.
I hope to get two things done.

1. Get the card on the R6E flashed with the new firmware (3.1.121a) and verify the changes on windows and the network card if possible. Finger's crossed also get the lan controller to work again. The R6E took the driver 3.1.6 fine.

2. When the c100c gets here I am going to need to ignore the asus website firmware and instal only what I need and hopefully it doesn't crash every time I boot up the pc. I need 3.1.121 on this when it gets here and 2.2.3.0 on the windows side or higher.

All in all I would love to be able to just upgrade but with money tight I would like to get this to work. At the very least if I can get a stable firmware on the C100C I would have a cheaper solution for the R6E. Provided I can get the Lan controller to work again.
17 REPLIES 17

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Contact,
The dropping issue you mentioned when startup the pc is disconnecting or the network speed is slow?
Do you use the AQC-107 10G LAN port on R6E directly or the LAN port on XG-C100C?
If the C100C you mentioned is not XG-C100C, please let me know.
Thank you.

Contact
Level 7
No I have two pc's I alternate. One has the R6E, one has the c100c on RMA. The R6E has no network controller anymore. Both are having the same issue both not able to update to good firmware.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Contact,
May I have more detail about the dropping issue you mentioned? When startup the pc is disconnecting or the network speed is slow?
Have you tried the driver and firmware version on our R6E and XG-C100C support site?
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-rampage/rog-rampage-vi-extreme-encore-model/helpdesk
https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Wired-Networking/All-series/XG-C100C/HelpDesk_Download/
Thank you.

Contact
Level 7
This is all about the firmware not the driver. You have to flash the firmware to the network card and I don't think you can even do that on the original R6E. You can update the windows driver but you can't flash the Firmware to the card. I put the marvel windows driver on my install that would be 3.1.6. It gets confusing because the windows driver and FW are both on the same 3.0 version number but no there is no support and as you can see it causes issues. I can get it to work for about an hour after reset but then it starts getting lazy. If you were using the card for 1 gig or GE ports you wouldn't notice it. When you put the load on the card it starts getting lazy. You would never know under a normal application.

Yes what I am saying the marvel cards on both of those are the wrong version numbers. On the marvel site you go to the platform which is windows 64 then you go to the part number in my case it's the AQN-107 that is the same card as the XGC100C and the C100C is the SAME card/driver/FW as what is on the R6E. You all stopped updating the card. The Firmware on the marvel site says 1.8.0_3.1.121a The Firmware on your website for the C100C is the 3.1.88 and it is buggy for ALL iterations I actually use the card for multi gig purposes.

The current FW for the C100C is 3.1.88 on your site not 3.1.121a like above. You just stopped supporting it. So I need to flash something on the card. Your current 10 gig extreme boards are using the 3.1.3 version which I think might fix the problem but you would need to update the driver to both the R6E and the C100C download section.

Literally it is the same hardware you just don't have any way to deploy the fixes to the card.

https://www.marvell.com/support/downloads.html

Just for reference this is on the same fibre from the same passthrough.

The thread as it pertains to the fix.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117314

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124785-XG-C100C-random-drop-outs

not sure about maximus but if it has the AQC107 controller, this might work:

Station Driver has a moded 3.1.121 firmware install package that works for our Asus boards now. The Marvell d/l aborts on ASUS boards.

tation Driver has a moded 3.1.121 firmware install package installs Marvell-Aquantia-Firmware-Version-3.1.121 without patching the install files.

https://www.station-drivers.com/inde...1)/lang,en-gb/
worked for me.

the drivers you can get from Marvell directly:

https://www.marvell.com/support/downloads.html

I just click on windows 10 64 bit n the left scroll list and then part number AQC107 in the right scroll list.

Contact
Level 7
here is how to do it for the c100c you have my new card in your repair center.

https://www.rashedtalukder.com/updating-asus-xg-c100cs-aquantia-aqc107-firmware-and-drivers/

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Contact,
I'll consult our tech team about the firmware update.
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Contact,
For firmware update inquiry, may I have the serial number of your XG-C100C via PM?
For the speedtest result, the reference card is about 1G, but you can get about 3G with XG-C100C, so the specifications of two cards are different.
If your ISP network is higher than 3G, it is normal to see the climb at the first when you try to get the maximus speed in speedtest.
Therefore, the firmware update may not improve the speedtest result you mentioned.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Contact,
For firmware update inquiry, may I have the serial number of your XG-C100C via PM?
For the speedtest result, the reference card is about 1G, but you can get about 3G with XG-C100C, so the specifications of two cards are different.
If your ISP network is higher than 3G, it is normal to see the climb at the first when you try to get the maximus speed in speedtest.
Therefore, the firmware update may not improve the speedtest result you mentioned.
Thank you.

The C100C is on a reorder with asus so I do not have it yet.

The specs are coming through the same passthrough in a manner that both specs are the same device it is not normal for that to climb. The card is not responding the way it is supposed to when first booted. After reset this problem is resolved sometimes as a result. That climb is no longer present then. When setting the power setting on the integrated nic there is no way to reboot the card so the climb is present the entire time. Included are some screens from the next post.

Every R6E revision has the new Firmware except for the original.

I don't understand you have no firmware update for the R6E and you have no current firmware revision for the C100C. There was a reason marvel came out with revisions so close to the beginning of 2022. Your firmware is from the end of 2021.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Contact,
Did you use the XG-C100C connecting to the same ISP modem and router to test and get both screenshots?
The first screenshot is you tested right after boot the pc, and the second is tested after disable and enable the XG-C100C in the device maneger?
May I know the specific model name of the original R6E and the R6E revision you mentioned?
Please share me the serial number of your XG-C100C via PM when you have it.
Thank you.