cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Apex, what would be the downside of putting 2 - 2tb M.2 in the/ DIMM.2?

JBBlack
Level 8
I am getting very close to getting to set up my new rig, and I am looking at how I want my initial setup to be.

I would really like to put 3 - M.2s in my new setup right from the get-go, 1 1TB Gen 4 in M.2_2, and 2 - 2TB Gen 4 in the DIMM.2 slot, NOTE I am using those areas as per a suggestion from another user that helped me earlier this year.

I want to use the M.2_2 location for my system drive, and the DIMM.2's for gaming and such.

I am not completely familiar with how the new M.2 stuff works, I just know enough to be dangerous, but I know I don't want to use the Gen5 M.2 add-on card at this time as I want to use the top PCIe slot at full speed for my 3080, as apparently anything in the second PCIe 16x slot cuts the top slot to 8x?

So my questions are:

1) What is the downside of using 2 M.2s in the DIMM.2 slot, if any? (like will I sacrifice a LOT of speed? will there be any major bottlenecks? yada yada)

2) I assume that heat is not an issue as the stick that goes into the DIMM.2 slot looks like it has a very well-made heatsink and is set up to dissipate heat pretty well?

3) I have never used an M.2 over 1TB, do the 2TB drives run hotter? (gen 4)

thanks

Will be using:

Z690 Apex
i9 12900k
Samsung 970 Evo Plus drives, 2TB, 1TB
3080 FTW Ultra
Windows 11
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Speed won't be an issue. The only real downside to utilising the DIMM.2 slot is the module sits fairly close to the residing DIMMs, so you may wish to look into some active airflow on that area if overclocking the memory. Besides this, it's there to be used.

This is really only precautionary, though. I personally didn't notice much difference (2-3c) removing the DIMM.2 card to memory temperatures.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JBBlack
Level 8
Oh cool, I was mostly worried about speed issues/possible bottle-necking, I have a really nice Phanteks case that has really good airflow, and I will be using an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 that will be blowing right down on that area. I will keep an eye on the temps and if I have to I can get some better fans if needed.

I've got a 32gig 4800mhz kit I'm going to initially be using until I get more familiar with the board/BIOS, then when there are more DDR5 kits available down the road, I'm going to one of the better kits I wanted. For now, I'll see how my 12900k works with what I have.

Thanks man, I'm going to run down to Best Buy and get me another 2TB M.2!! I'm starting to get excited now!! I hope everything works out of the box!!
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+