ROG Junior Member Array

Question Questions about Asus Theta 7.1

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a pair of Asus Theta 7.1 but I would like to ask Asus staff and Theta owners some questions:

1) I have read lots of negative comments about headset front channel volume. It seems that volume level was good with firmware FW0034, but got worse with firmware FW0038 and FW0039.

Newer version v38, v39 amplify the back channels by lowering volume on the front channels. Because of this you can hear ambient sound (even over actors voice) more than you should. Front channel volume: v34 > v39 > v38 ('>' means greater than)
    What is the latest firmware available and this low volume issue been fixed? Is Asus still working on the issue or has just abandoned any further firmware development?

2) What is the end-of-life support for this headset? I have seen that Asus released Armoury Crate for Windows 11 on March 17th 2022 but I would like to be sure that the headset will not be discontinued/unsupported anytime soon

I own a pair of real 5.1 headset (not Asus product) and drivers are no longer updated, resulting in some features not fully working after major Windows 10 update

3) What is the build quality? Some reviewers claim they are very sturdy and solid while others complain about cheap plastic prone to breaking. What is your opinion?

4) Is the pop/crackling issue been solved?

I have read some threads where people complain about this issue but I have not understood if this is hw or sw/firmware related

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-and-crackling
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-Popping-issue
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...n-sound-starts

5) From what I can read, these headset feature "virtual bass" since there are 4 drivers per earcup and there is not a real driver for bass. How do bass sound when listening to music/playing games?

6) Do you feel the audio wire on the chest uncomfortable/annoying? I have read some people claiming it's heavy/rigid, especially the Y junction

New ROGer Array Navish PC Specs
    Navish PC Specs
    MotherboardAorus X570 Pro Wifi Rev. 1.1
    ProcessorRyzen 5 5600X
    Memory (part number)G. Skill Trident Z Royal Silver 2x32GB 3600MHz
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 3080 V2
    MonitorGigabyte G27Q
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
    Storage #2Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin II 360
    CaseROG Helios
    Power SupplyROG Thor 1200W
    Keyboard ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Spatha X
    Headset ROG Theta 7.1
    Mouse Pad Custom Soft Mousepad 4mm
    OS Windows 11 Pro

I never experienced (or either didn't notice) any kind of audio issues at all so i'll answer with what I've experienced so far.

Audio quality is great, bass requires a bit of manual tweak in armoury crate settings it's up to you on how it'll sound.

There's cheap plastic prone to breaking? yes, so far I've dropped it twice, the 2nd time it was a harder drop since my cat got scared and got tangled in the cable. (Check attachment, the blue part was repaired with superglue and the red one actually broke on both sides, left and right so I had to 3d print those two)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rog.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	92857

audio wire is barely noticeable, the only way you'll really be able to feel it if it's you play naked

ROG Junior Member Array

Thanks for your feedback Navish

Have you had any problems with:

1) pop/crackling sounds?
    2) drivers (especially if you are using Window 11)?

Navish PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 5 5600X
    MonitorGigabyte G27Q
    CaseROG Helios
    Keyboard ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Spatha X
    Headset ROG Theta 7.1
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rick4 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Navish

Have you had any problems with:

1) pop/crackling sounds?
    2) drivers (especially if you are using Window 11)?
    Nope, as I mentioned before, no issues with sounds or audio at all (or either I didn't notice).

As for drivers, I've been using Win11 since the first dev. release and had no issues at all, it was always plug & play and of course keeping it updated with Armoury Crate

ROG Junior Member Array

Thanks again for your feedback Navish

Do you find the volume to be low even when cranked up to the max as other users complain about?

Navish PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 5 5600X
    MonitorGigabyte G27Q
    CaseROG Helios
    Keyboard ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Spatha X
    Headset ROG Theta 7.1
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rick4 View Post
    Thanks again for your feedback Navish

Do you find the volume to be low even when cranked up to the max as other users complain about?
    These are my volume settings and they're quite loud already
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	92871

New ROGer Array

There seems to be some kind of software that limits the volume for certain types of listening, especially in 7.1 mode. As an example, music is definitely too quite and I find I have to manually switch to stereo to get a good listening experience. I tried using a program that pre boosted the volume for the device but that only worked so well. There seems to be a volume limit it reaches and attempts to correct no matter what I do. In games and movies however, I dont have to crank the volume at all. I can keep it around 50% or so and it gives rich and full sound. Note that I have tried many different music players, all with the same result.

I am genuinely considering buying a separate headset just for music listening, which is a shame because the audio quality is absolutely superb.